In two weeks I turn 33. That used to always seem so old to me. What does seem kind of crazy is that in two years I will be 35, meaning then I will be 5 years away from 40. I can remember my mom throwing my dad an "over the hill" party when he turned 40 and thinking wow, that is old. Things are different now, 40 is like the new 30 and really not that old at all (or at least that is what I tell myself). Overall I still feel pretty darn young most of the time. My 33 years have at least taught me some life skills. I guess it is true you get older and wiser. It got me thinking about what I have learned in my "old" age plus a few random thoughts.
- I am sad I no longer get carded for alcohol. Do I really look that old? I am hoping the fact that I always have a little one with me is the reason I don't get carded. Or it could be the dark circles under my eyes and wrinkles.
- For once in my life I am comfortable with my weight give or take 5 lbs. It took me a long time to learn how to eat to manage my weight but for once I am happy with my body- minus my stomach because lets be real is it ever the same after having a child?
- Which brings me to what I have learned about weight maintenance, 85% of it is what you eat not exercise. I exercise for my mental sanity and not to be flabby but it is not what makes me lose weight, it is what I put in my mouth.
- Your parents are usually right. Sometimes you don't want to hear it but for the most part they are right. Now that I am a parent I look at my parents differently and appreciate their input. Listen to them they are the two people who always have your best interests at heart. Sometimes it is hard to hear what they have to say but they will always tell you the truth and be honest like no one else in your life.
- Marriage is hard, really hard. It takes work. Planning the wedding is the easiest part of being married. Having a child makes marriage even harder. You must have a solid friendship and be willing to compromise to make it work. After a child it is really important to carve out time for just the two of you to be alone. Your spouse will annoy you and that is ok and normal. It is the person you spend the most time with of course you will get on each others nerves.
- Once you have a kid a hangover is just not worth it. I know my limits now and rarely drink too much. There is nothing worse than tending to a child while you are hungover.
- Men are clueless you need to spell things out for them- ie what needs to done around the house and what gifts you want. They are good with a list and ideas.
- Much disappoint is caused by ideas we have created in our heads. I can't tell you how many times I have gotten upset with Matt for him to reply "I am not a mind reader, we never discussed that."
- I still don't feel like a grown up. Sometimes I laugh to myself that I am married with a child because at heart I still feel like I am 16. Do we ever really feel grown-up? I did feel old while waiting in line to watch Twilight and the Hunger Games though......
- There are so many different kinds of love in life but none as strong as the love you have for your child. It is the most powerful love ever. Nothing can compare to it.
- Call your parents and grandparents often. Even if it is only a 5 minute conversation I can guarantee you it is the highlight of their day.
- It is so important to nurture your relationships with girlfriends. They get you a way your husbands never will. You can bitch to them without them getting annoyed. Men have a short tolerance for complaining but girlfriends don't. My girlfriends are my happy place they bring so much joy and laughter into my life.
- The expensive version is usually worth it. Especially when it comes to purses, shoes, and jeans. They hold up better, last longer and are more comfortable.
- It is easier to get away with cheap white wine than cheap red wine. Cheap red wine will cause a real bad hangover. Don't ever trust a bottle of wine that is less than $5. That being said you can get some fabulous bottles of wine between $10-15.
- Some of the best beauty secrets are the easiest- drink lots of water and get enough sleep. Those two things can make a world of difference on your skin.
- Once you have a kid it is nearly impossible to have a clean house. Just resign yourself to the fact that things will never be put away. I am always picking crap up, it never ends!
- I am the luckiest person in the world to have a sister. There is nothing like the bond between sisters. I love my brother so much but we are not as close as my sister and I are. If you have two daughters consider yourself lucky that they will have each other growing up. We always say "Sisters by Chance, Friends by Choice." Love you Tay!
- Sometimes you just need to eat that cheeseburger, cookie, drink that bottle of wine , etc. It is important to indulge sometimes and just enjoy life.
- Stay true to yourself. I went through many stages growing up trying to fit in with others. Adapting to them and doing things that really weren't me. Now I am just "me." If you think I am stupid for loving Reality TV or shopping too much- oh well. That is me take it or leave it.
- Along the same lines don't compare yourself to others, there will always be others with more than you have but that doesn't mean they are happier. You have way more than alot of other people. The blog world makes this hard because people are always posting about their fabulous houses, clothes etc. I am guilty of feeling a little jealous sometimes. But I try to remind myself how lucky I am and how much I have. I am blessed. Some people don't even have a roof over their heads.
- Forgive and Forget always. A grudge is never worth holding on to. I am always the first person to apologize I hate being in argument life is too short for that. It is also to short to spend time hating anyone
- Have some Faith. Religion has become a really important aspect of my life. Take time to pray and thank God for all your blessings.
Ok, so spill it, I would love to hear from people older, younger, and my age on what you have learned thus far in your life? and if you agree with my thoughts!
Have a great weekend friends!
Have a great weekend friends!