Thursday, August 12, 2010

Italian Sausage and Provolone Flat Pie




Aren't you excited? Its time for my recipe of the week again! Last weekend we went to another dinner party and I was in charge of the appetizer. I have found that the appetizers that people love the most are inevitably the ones that are the worst for you. This recipe is no exception. It is basically puff pastry filled with sausage and cheese cut into bite squares. My mouth is watering just thinking about it again. It was so good every last piece got eaten and there were only 4 of us! This recipe is from one of my all time favorite cookbooks, Katie Lee Joel's (well technically since she is no longer married to Billy I guess that's not her last name anymore) The Comfort Table. She is a true southern girl who loves to make all the southern staples. This cookbook is amazing, I have made so many recipes from it and I am never disappointed. I had a picture of this pie that I made but my computer did something funk and won't upload it. But trust me, try this and you won't be sad you did!

ITALIAN SAUSAGE AND PROVOLONE FLAT PIE
-1 14/17OZ PACKAGE FROZEN PUFF PASTRY, THAWED ACCORDING TO DIRECTIONS
-1 TABLESPOON OLIVE OIL
-3/4 SWEET OR HOT ITALIAN SAUSAGE, CASING REMOVED
-1 1/2 CUPS GRATED PROVOLONE CHEESE
-1 EGG

LINE A BAKING SHEET WITH PARCHMENT PAPER. ON A LIGHTLY FLOURED SURFACE, UNFOLD PUFF PASTRY DOUGH, AND USE A FLOURED ROLLING PIN TO ROLL IT INTO A RECTANGLE ABOUT 15X10 INCHES. CUT RECTANGLE IN HALF SO YOU HAVE TWO 10 X 7.5 INCH RECTANGLES. TRANSFER TO BAKING SHEET AND REFRIGERATE FOR ABOUT 20 MINS.

MEANWHILE HEAT OLIVE OIL IN MEDIUM SKILLET OVER MEDIUM HEAT. ADD THE SAUSAGE, BREAKING IT UP WITH A WOODEN SPOON, AND BROWN FOR ABOUT 10 MINS. USING A SLOTTED SPOON TRANSFER THE SAUSAGE TO A PAPER TOWEL LINED PLATE.

SPOON THE SAUSAGE ONTO ONE OF THE PUFF PASTRY RECTANGLES LEAVING A ONE INCH BORDER. TOP WITH PROVOLONE CHEESE. USING A PASTRY BRUSH, BRUSH THE BORDER WITH EGG. LAY THE SECOND RECTANGLE OVER THE FILLING AND PRESS GENTLY TO SEAL. REFRIGERATE ANOTHER 20 MINUTES OR UP TO 2 HOURS.

USING A SMALL KNIFE, TRIM THE EDGES SO THEY ARE UNIFORM. USING A PASTRY BRUSH COAT THE ENTIRE TOP PASTRY WITH EGG. GENTLY CUT 3, 5 INCH VENTS IN THE TOP BEING CAREFUL NOT TO PIERCE THE BOTTOM LAYER. BAKE ROTATING ONCE FOR 35 OR 40 MINUTES, UNTIL CRUST IS A DEEP GOLDEN BROWN AND PASTRY HAS PUFFED. LET COOL 10 MINUTES THEN SLICE.
I USED A PIZZA CUTTER TO SLICE MINE WORKED GREAT!

1 comment:

Erin said...

um...seriously? I'm gonna need to eat that this weekend...