Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Roasted Winter Vegetable Soup


This recipe is a tried and true favorite of mine. As soon as the weather gets cool I start craving this soup. The roasted vegetables are delicious on their own but even tastier pureed into this soup. We serve ours drizzled with truffle oil and Gruyere cheese toast, perfection in my book. Of course this recipe comes compliments of my numero uno girl Ina, she really never disappoints. This soup freezes wonderfully and even my munchkin will eat it which makes me happy because at least I know he got a few veggies in for the day! Enjoy!






ROASTED WINTER VEGETABLE SOUP
From Barefoot Contessa Family Style
Ingredients
3 to 4 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
1 quart Roasted Winter Vegetables, recipe follows
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Good olive oil

Directions
In a large saucepan, heat 3 cups of chicken stock. Coarsely puree the Roasted Winter Vegetables and the chicken stock in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade (or use a handheld blender). Pour the soup back into the pot and season, to taste. Thin with more chicken stock and reheat. The soup should be thick but not like a vegetable puree, so add more chicken stock and/or water until it's the consistency you like.


Roasted Winter Vegetables:
1 pound carrots, peeled
1 pound parsnips, peeled
1 large sweet potato, peeled
1 small butternut squash (about 2 pounds), peeled and seeded
3 tablespoons good olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Cut the carrots, parsnips, sweet potato, and butternut squash in 1 to 1 1/4-inch cubes. All the vegetables will shrink while baking, so don't cut them too small.

Place all the cut vegetables in a single layer on 2 sheet pans. Drizzle them with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss well. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until all the vegetables are tender, turning once with a metal spatula.

Sprinkle with parsley, season to taste, and serve hot

Print Recipe HERE

14 comments:

Alex {Things That Sparkle} said...

YUM! I am making something very similar tonight. Do you read Simply Irresistible? I think you would love her recipes!!

Laur said...

YUM! That looks healthy and delish for this could fall evenings. I'm going ot have to try!

Balancing Lisa said...

this looks amazing! I think my kids would love this! thanks for sharing!!

http://www.stilettosanddiaperbags.blogspot.com/

Portuguese Prepster said...

sounds so comforting-very similar to a soup my grandmother makes!

Portuguese Prepster said...

sounds so comforting-very similar to a soup my grandmother makes!

Chassity (Look Linger Love) said...

I'm a soup kinda girl too. And hey, I'm making your biscuit recipe you posted last week for dinner tonight!

Heather said...

This looks so good. Thanks for the recipe!

blue chickadee said...

Yum!! I want to make this soup!!!!! And thanks for getting back to me on Sterling's shoes! I did see it on your post yesterday-too funny! Went ahead and ordered them for each of the boys-can't wait!!!

natasha {schue love} said...

Oh it looks so warm and creamy! Great texture for a winter soup! We'll have to make this soon! :)

Val said...

MMM, MMM, Good!! I think you and I should go to The Hampton's and have lunch with Ina?? A girl can dream......=))

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

Yum!!!

Unknown said...

Sounds delicious! I am always looking for new soup recipes!

erica said...

All I have been wanting lately is soup so I will definitely be giving this one a try!

xo

Unknown said...

looks delish, thanks for sharing!

whitney
seeshopeatdo.com