Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Tuscan Kale Salad


I have to give my girls Kelli and Lisa at Bud and Leo credit for this delish recipe. They featured this recipe last week on their blog and I have eaten it everyday since I saw it, except Saturday! I tend to be obsessive about my lunches. First for months it was my Chopped Greek Salad, then it was the Vegetable and Hummus Tart and now it's this Kale Salad. I am beyond obsessed with it, I seriously crave it everyday. I think perhaps my body is telling me I need to eat more leafy greens.

This salad is super simple but the flavors are amazing together. The red pepper flakes provide the perfect bite, while the lemon is light and fresh, the cheese smooth and creamy, and the breadcrumbs provide some crunch. I eat mine with lavish chips and hummus because let's be real I need a little more than just a salad at lunch! Enjoy!

**A few recipe recommendations on my part: I only use one garlic clove and it gets it pretty garlicky. I also recommend letting the dressing sit on the salad for 10-15minutes. The kale does not get soggy and it helps soak the flavor in. I use Panko Breadcrumbs because umm who has fresh breadcrumbs just sitting around? Use cheese that is cut in shards not grated, more flavor in my opinion!**




Tuscan Kale Salad

Ingredients:
4-6 cups Kale, loosely packed, sliced leaves with midribs removed
Juice of 1 Lemon
3-4 T Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
2 cloves Garlic, mashed
Salt & Pepper, to taste
Hot Red Pepper Flakes, to taste
2/3 cup grated Pecorino Toscano cheese (Rosselino variety if you can find it) or other flavorful grating cheese such as Asiago or Parmesan
½ cup freshly made Bread Crumbs from lightly toasted bread

Directions:
Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper, and a generous pinch (or more to taste) of hot red pepper flakes. Pour over kale in serving bowl and toss well. Add 2/3 of the cheese and toss again. Let kale sit for at least 5 minutes. Add bread crumbs, toss again, and top with remaining cheese.


Top photo courtesy of 101 Cookbooks


And for all my shoppers Neiman Marcus is having their FIRST CALL SALE right now. This is my favorite sale, all the designer stuff is 40% off. I always stock up at this sale!


and SHOPBOP is also having a huge sale. We are talking up 70 percent off. So go get your shop on today!



And I almost forgot I am guest posting over at Liz's Beautiful blog With A Little Style and Ease sharing an amazing lasagna recipe. You are def gonnna want to make this recipe for the fall, check it out HERE.



Happy Humpday!

13 comments:

Cara Kuhl said...

This looks beautiful and so simple! We just ran out of our Pecorino otherwise I would make it today. Definitely 'pinning' to make another time!

Lacy in the Sky with Diapers said...

yummy!! I need to eat more salads!! I think I will try this today for sure!!!

Lauren and Julie said...

Wow this looks absolutely delish. I've been wanting to incorporate more kale into my diet so i am definitely going to try this this weekend! XO

Jill said...

I just came from Liz's blog, nicely done!! This sounds fab, i love kale but I never am quite sure what to do with it

Alex {Things That Sparkle} said...

Yum this salad sounds absolutely delicious, definitely making it soon!

megan said...

Holy moly, this looks so good. I have kale on my grocery list so I will definitely be trying this!

Christy {SparklesandSpinach} said...

I love Kale! I'll def have to try this salad!! I usually juice it, make chips, or sneak it into soups/stews. I've been under the weather so a Kale salad might be just what I need =)

Chassity (Look Linger Love) said...

I was tempted when I saw it over on B&L's blog last week, no I'm more tempted. Looks good.

Val said...

nom, nom, nom. I heart Kale and in the warmer months it's perfect in everything.

natasha {schue love} said...

The salad looks yummy and the lasagna looks super yummy! I'm all about cheese and carbs right now...oops! :)

Baby Shopaholic said...

Yes! I will be at Neimans this weekend! Whoot!

Taylor said...

I'm sure you already know, but I know how much you like Tibi -- they have their sample sale online if you haven't checked it out!!!

http://www.tibi.com/shop/sample-sale

bluehydrangea said...

I had to laugh because I am the same way about my lunch...I will eat the same thing for weeks! And I just made your salad...super yummy, love it!! Thanks!