Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Summer Squash Gratin



This dish is a tried and true family favorite. My grandmother and mom made it all the time for us growing up and now it is a favorite for my boys (well Matt at least, Sterling has turned into quite the picky eater these days.) It is so super easy to whip together and deliciously tasty. Mt grandmother would totally call this a casserole but Gratin sounds much fancier, right?? You all know I love a casserole because it can be made ahead of time and just popped in the oven at dinner. I usually serve this with grilled chicken or fish and add another veggie and you have a well rounded meal!




SUMMER SQUASH GRATIN-2 LBS SQUASH AND ZUCCHINI CHOPPED
-1 SMALL ONION CHOPPED
-1 CUP MAYO
-2 TABLESPOONS SOUR CREAM
-1 CUP GRUYERE CHEESE
- 1/2 CUP PARMESAN CHEESE
-2 EGGS BEATEN
-1/2 TSP SALT
-1/4 TSP PEPPER

TOPPING:
-1 CUP PLAIN BREAD CRUMBS, PANKO OR RITZ CRACKERS CRUSHED
-2 TABLESPOON BUTTER

MIX ALL INGREDIENTS TOGETHER AND POUR INTO GREASED CASSEROLE DISH. MIX BREAD CRUMBS AND MELTED BUTTER AND POUR OVER THE CASSEROLE. BAKE AT 350 DEGREES 35-45 MINS UNTIL TOP BROWNS.

19 comments:

Sadie + Stella said...

ummm ummm ummm this looks amazing. Skeptical of the low fat mayo. Can you notice the difference? I am an all fat mayo kind of gal.

Julia Ryan said...

now this has Matthew written ALL OVER IT! He loves all squash casseroles. I'm still a little hesitant myself, but this looks like one I might actually try a bite of. All that cheesy gratin goodness!

KatiePerk said...

Yum. I love squash and parmesan!!

erica said...

Oh my gosh YUM! I am making this for dinner tonight! xo

megan said...

Yes please.

Balancing Lisa said...

yeah, I'm going to have to try this! yum!~

http://www.stilettosanddiaperbags.com/

natasha {schue love} said...

Ooo summer squash!! Love this time of year when we can start enjoying fresh produce!

Nickie said...

This sounds great!! I have a squash "gratin" (cassarole) that I have made for a while, but it lacked some "umph". Yours looks full of "umph" and I can't wait to try it out.

Pink and Fabulous said...

This looks delish! I can't wait to try!

Courtney Crocker said...

That sounds so good! Can't wait to try it.

Unknown said...

This looks delicious! Must try soon!

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

I am one of those people that just *LOVES* squash! This is a definite *heck yes* for me (c: Plus, there's cheese. No brainer.

Taylor said...

this is my kind of dish! obsessed with casseroles and one pot meals! And I agree.... I am definitely going to start calling ever gratin!

http://itsthelittlethingsblog.blogspot.com/

Bud and Leo said...

YUM!!!!!!!

Val said...

This would be perfect on my Easter menu....YUM

KB said...

I ended up making this last night, but my zucchini had already gone bad so I swapped it for hominy. Very Good!! thanks :)

emily said...

I am totally making this soon!

hollybay said...

This recipe is awesome! Sadie go ahead and use all fat mayo. I used Miracle Whip, I just don't like Mayo. It turned out great!

hollybay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.