Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Spicy Black Bean, Green Chili, and Manchego Enchiladas


 I am trying to jump on board with Meatless Mondays. Now don't get me wrong I could eat vegetarian everyday,  it is the hubs who likes meat with his meal.  He claims he is hungry an hour later with no meat and not satisfied.  But I am trying to keep him healthy much to his dismay, so we are trying out meatless Mondays.  This week I decided to make Spicy Black Bean Enchiladas.  I thought they were awesome and Matt even remarked for health food they were very good.  They were super easy to whip together- most time consuming task was dipping the shells in the sauce and rolling them up.   You could easily add more veggies or meat to this mix but I thought they were good just with the black beans.  Such an easy week night meal full of flavor!



|| S P I CY  B L A C K  B E A N,  G R E E N  C H I L I  & M A N C H E N G O  
 E N C H I L A D A S ||
Recipe adapted via
Ingredients
  • 12 small corn or flour tortillas (I used flour)
  • 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 4-ounce can diced green chilies
  • 1 28-ounce can red enchilada sauce, such as Las Palmas
  • 1/2 cup grated manchego cheese + more for topping (or sub another Mexican cheese, such as Cojita or Pepper Jack) (I used a mix of Manchego and Mexican Quesadilla Cheese)
  • 1/4 cup light sour cream or greek yogurt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder 
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • Topping Options: Diced green onion, cilantro, avocado, salsa, sour cream
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and position a baking rack in the middle of the oven.
  2. Combine black beans, green chilies, sour cream, cumin, chili powder and 1/2 cup manchego cheese in a mixing bowl. Taste and add salt and pepper if desired.
  3. Warm 3/4 of the enchilada sauce in a large shallow pan over low-medium heat.
  4. Pour enough enchilada sauce to also lightly coat the bottom of a 9×13 dish. Swirl to coat and set aside.
  5. Using your hands or tongs, carefully dip the tortillas in the warmed sauce until both sides are well coated. Transfer the tortilla to the baking dish, scoop in 2 Tbsp of the black bean filling and roll up. Place seam side down and continue until the pan is filled – should be about 8 enchiladas.
  6. Top enchiladas with remaining sauce and use spoon to make sure all parts of the tortillas are evenly coated. Top with a bit more cheese and bake for 20 minutes or until slightly golden brown and the cheese is bubbly.
  7. Serve with toppings such as avocado, guacamole, sour cream, green onion, cilantro or lettuce.
  8. Will keep in the fridge for a couple days. Reheat in oven

16 comments:

Annie {flourishinfertility.com} said...

I'm so glad you shared! This looks delicious, and I especially love the comment that they are good for "health food." Oh boys... xo

Amy Florez {Baby Mama Juice} said...

Yum! Looks delicious and easy!

Ally Harding said...

I'm a Mexican food freak so this looks so good! I'll have to try it sometime!

Jillian said...

mmm i love mexican food! this looks so good. xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Megan said...

I would totally eat these for breakfast if they were in my house right now! LOVE Mexican...every Friday night I eat nachos in bed, true story (glamorous Mama's night in!). ;)

Thanks for posting this and the manchego cheese craving I now have!

xo
Megan
IG: megawat
http://hellonewlywedlife.blogspot.com/

Delta Daisies said...

I saw this on your instagram and immediately began drooling! I will have to try this!

Alicia xoxxo said...

Yum! I am def going to be making this. I too could easily give up meat, but the hubs? No way. This looks so good!

17 Perth said...

you had me at manchego. These look delish.

Haley said...

These sounds incredible. Thank you for sharing- I know I'll be trying this soon!

Unknown said...

I will definitely try this! My husband did the same thing when we stopped eating meat, claiming he was still hungry. Sometimes I just didn't tell him there was no meat (or I would use fake meat) and he didn't know the difference!

Unknown said...

Like every recipe you post...it looks delish! I am actually making enchiladas tonight! I will have to try these next time!

Val said...

I need a moment of silence while I stop are stare at this yumminess.

Julia Ryan said...

This looks amazing!!!

Chassity (Look Linger Love) said...

Yep I want to eat that.

Michelle said...

Yum, bookmarking this recipe!

Kathy Olson said...

I'm ALWAYS looking for recipes for 6 hungry kids. Thank you so much!