Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Mahi Tacos



I absolutely love fish tacos, they are one of my favorite meals. I found this recipe in my recipe binder, where I save the many recipes I have torn out of magazines. I keep them all in a 3-ring binder with dividers for each type of food. Makes me feel kind of organized. Sadly, I have no idea what magazine this recipe came from, but it is the bomb. It if you don't like Mahi you could easily substitute another fish or even shrimp. I think what makes this recipe so good is the combo of the red cabbage slaw and the mashed homemade black beans. They go perfectly with the fish! Bon Appetit!

CABBAGE SLAW MIXTURE

HOMEMADE SMASHED BLACK BEANS

FINISHED PRODUCT- DELICIOUS MAHI TACOS

MAHI TACOS

INGREDIENTS-
1/4 CUP VEGETABLE OIL
1 JALAPENO SEEDED AND FINELY CHOPPED
1 SMALL RED ONION, ONE QUARTER, FINELY CHOPPED, THE REMINDER SLICED
1 CLOVE MINCED GARLIC
1 15 OZ CAN BLACK BEANS, RINSED
1 TEASPOON GROUND CUMIN
SALT AND PEPPER
3 TABLESPOONS HONEY
2 TABLESPOONS HOT SAUCE
JUICE OF TWO LIMES PLUS 2 TEASPOONS GRATED PEEL
1/2 HEAD RED CABBAGE, FINELY SHREDDED
1/2 CUP CILANTRO CHOPPED
4 6 OZ MAHI FILETS
8 CORN SHELLS (OR FLOUR IF YOU PREFER)

DIRECTIONS-

1) IN A MEDIUM SKILLET, HEAT 1 TABLESPOON OIL OVER MEDIUM HEAT. ADD THE JALAPENO, CHOPPED RED ONION AND GARLIC AND COOK 4 MINUTES. IN A SMALL BOWL SMASH THE BLACK BEANS AND SEASON WITH CUMIN, SALT AND PEPPER. ADD THE SMASHED BLACK BEANS TO THE SKILLET WITH THE PEPPER AND ONIONS. HEAT UNTIL WARM.

2) IN A LARGE BOWL COMBINE 2 TABLESPOONS OIL WITH HONEY, HOT SAUCE AND LIME JUICE. SEASON WITH SALT AND PEPPER. ADD SLICED ONION, CABBAGE AND CILANTRO AND TOSS WELL.

3)PREHEAT A GRILL OR GRILL PAN TO MEDIUM. COAT THE FISH WITH 1 TABLESPOON OIL AND LIME PEEL. COVER AND GRILL FISH TURNING ONCE ABOUT 8 MINUTES. (NOTE WE BAKED OURS IN THE OVEN FOR 20-25 MINUTES)

4) WARM TACO SHELLS ON GRILL. SPOON A FEW SPOONFULS BEAN MIXTURE INTO EACH SHELL. TOP WITH FISH, CABBAGE SLAW AND SOUR CREAM. WE ADDED FRESH DICED JALAPENOS PEPPERS.

13 comments:

caycee said...

sounds amazing girl! So enjoyed last night love!

Jenny Castle Design said...

Now these look good! Thanks for sharing the recipe, I put it on my "to make" list :)

Carly Messmer said...

Those look delicious!

Alicia xoxxo said...

This looks so good! I am a huge fan of fish tacos! Love them! But for some reason fish is making my stomach turn now that I am pregnant. Weird because I am a huge fish fan. I will save this recipe for when I start feeling better! They look too good not to pass up!

Christina said...

looooooove these!! your comment on my blog was hilarious. mini bottles? GREAT IDEA. now if i could only remember to get my butt to the liquor store before 7pm. or maybe i could do those mini wine bottles??

Kerr said...

these look so yummy! I am going to have to make them soon.

Unknown said...

I must try this recipe I love fish tacos. Thanks for becoming a follower on my blog and for your sweet comment. I just became your follower and I am looking forward to reading it. I can tell you have an amazing taste and are so stylish.

Sweet Southern Prep said...

Wow! That looks delicious! You're such an inspiration! I definitely need to cook more!

P.S. I gave you a little award on my blog today!

Anonymous said...

Would you believe I've never had a fish taco? I know, huh?! I will have to try your recipe. xo

Natalie said...

Love some good mahi tacos! I will have to try this recipe! Thanks!

Erin said...

Girl these look delish. Kinda like mine from the other night, minus the fry daddy. Saving this one for sure!

Megan said...

These look so delicious; the black beans would be the perfect addition. Adding to my recipe folder!

Katharine @ SouthernBourbonMountains said...

ohhh, those look amazing!! You are a chef too? Goodness!