I think everyone loves a good piece of Blueberry Bread, if you don't you are crazy! With all my trips to the Farmers Market I have had an abundance of fresh blueberries and knew I needed to whip together some bread. I love the fact that this bread is made with yogurt and the lemon zest gives it such a bright flavor. This bread is not super sweet which I like, it mainly gets it sweetness from the berries. If you want it sweeter I suggest adding more sugar or use vanilla yogurt- I used plain Greek yogurt. The best way to eat this bread is warm smeared with butter and drizzled with honey- pure heaven I tell you!
:: B L U E B E R R Y B R E A D ::
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups blueberries (12 oz)
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- ½ cup plain yogurt, regular or lowfat
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together your flour, baking powder and salt. Add the blueberries and lemon zest and toss to combine.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the yogurt then the dry ingredients, mixing only until incorporated and being careful not to crush the blueberries.
- Scoop batter into your prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before inverting gently onto a plate.
Yield: makes 1 loaf