Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Brown Rice Veggie Bowls + Spicy Lemon Tahini Dressing


If you are anything like me then you needed a few detox meals after the holiday week.  I did my fair share of over indulging and not exercising last week, so it was time to get back on track.  I was feeling sluggish and bloated and knew I needed some healthy meals to make me feel better. This is a great way to get your fill of veggies and it is easy to make ahead of time.  You can cook the brown rice and veggies ahead of time and just store in separate containers until ready to use.  The dressing is the best part.  You really could use any type of dressing over these bowls but I love the creaminess the tahini brings, the tartness of the lemon and the spice of the red pepper flakes.  It is a great combo!
You could easily serve the veggies over quinoa or another grain if you prefer. 
Enjoy!


|| B R O W N   R I C E  V E G G I E  B O W L S  + S P I C Y   L E M O N  T A H I N I 
  D R E S S I N G ||

Adapted Via Food and Wine Magazine

INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup brown rice
-1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 3 carrots sliced
- 1 small container shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 2 zucchinis sliced
- 1 head broccoli chopped
- 1/2 head of kale de-stemmed and shredded
- 1.5 tablespoons soy sauce
-1/4 cup tahini at room temperature
- 1/2 cup  fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 avocado diced
- fresh bean sprouts

DIRECTIONS
cook rice according to package.  I always add about 2 tablespoons of butter and bit of salt to my rice while cooking,

In a large skillet, heat 4 tablespoons of the oil. Add the onion, carrots, zucchini, and mushrooms and cook until tender.  About 10 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile toss the broccoli with olive oil and salt and pepper and roast at 350 degrees about 20 minutes.  Remove from oven and add broccoli and kale to the veggies on the stove and toss together til kale wilts.  Add 1.5 tablespoons soy sauce.

In a small bowl, whisk the tahini with the lemon juice, garlic, warm water and crushed red pepper. Season with salt.

Transfer the brown rice to bowls. Top with the cooked vegetables, diced avocado and bean sprouts. Drizzle with the Lemon Tahini Dressing.




4 comments:

Kristina said...

How much lemon juice is in it ? Is it supposed to be 2 cups (up above it says 12) sounds awesome I will have to make this week .

Marychris said...

Yummmm. Is this on your pinterest, by chance??

Unknown said...

You're a mind reader! I made a huge pot of brown rice last night for rice bowls... Reminding me of how much I love my rice cooker, and also how much I needed to eat some clean eats this week after last week. Between being preggo and Thanksgiving... Let's just say I REALLY needed some healthy inspo this week. ;) thanks! Hope y'all had a great Thanksgiving and miss France's Moon had a great birthday. :)

prince snow farm said...

This looks amazing,and so refreshing after the overeating of Thanksgiving!