Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Roasted Veggie Quinoa Burrito Bowls



Much to Matt's dismay Cinco de Mayo fell on a Monday and I stood strong on still doing our meatless Monday- although we did have tequila so that probably negates the healthy food we ate.  I decided to make a healthy spin on a burrito bowl.  I love the roasted veggie burrito bowl at Qdoba, so this was my spin on it.  It would be great with brown rice but I had a ton of quinoa from Trader Joes so I used that.  You can really roast any veggies you like, but this combo of zucchini, squash, bell pepper, corn, onion and tomatoes was delicious.  Roasting them brings out such an intense flavor.  So while quinoa can be bland this steps up the flavor!  If you want meat this would be delicious with roasted chicken, ground beef, or shrimp.
Enjoy!


|| R O A S T E D  V E G G I E  Q U I N O A  B U R R I T O   B O W L S ||

- 1 cup dry quinoa cooked
- 1 can black beans
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 zucchini
- 1 red onion
- 2 ears of corn shucked and kernels sliced off the cob
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- sour cream, and salsa or hot sauce for topping
- 1 lime

Cook the quinoa according to the box.  After it is cooked, fluff with a fork and season with salt and pepper and the juice of half a lime.  
Slice all the veggies about the same size. Place on a large pan and drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper.  Roast at 350 degrees about 30-45 minutes just depends how caramelized you want your veggies.  
 Below is the size I chopped my veggies.


Heat up the black beans on a skillet until warm.  Sometimes I add a spoonful or two of salsa or hot sauce for extra flavor in the beans.

To assemble layer the quinoa, black beans, roasted veggies, and cheese.  Top with avocado, sour cream , jalapenos, and salsa or hot sauce.  Serve with warmed corn tortilla shells.



8 comments:

Eloquently Emily said...

I made a variation of this last week and it was amazing! Such an easy meal to throw together to also have for lunch the next day! Have a great week love!

Unknown said...

yum! we make a similar dish with black beans, veggies + cream cheese for bean burritos! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Laurel @ Laurel Loves said...

Looks great, so colourful and healthy!

http://www.laurelloves.com

Delta Daisies said...

These look amazing!

Gaby [The Vault Files] said...

Yum!!

Meredith said...

Yum! We did something very similar this year :)

Alexa said...

Oh these look so so good. I actually do these burrito bowls a lot...different variations for variety. Such a quick and yummy dinner!

Leslie said...

Wow that looks so good. I have some quinoa leftover from another recipe, so I will have to give that a go!