Monday, December 22, 2014

Refreshed + Peanut Butter Custard Pie

 Can ya'll believe Christmas is 3 days away??  This weekend the kids and I decided to head to Charlotte for a few days.  With Matt's back out of whack we werent sure if he would be able to travel so we wanted to visit my parents and then be back to spend Christmas with him if he is unable to travel.  Don't worry he is in good hands being cared for by his parents.  I know I was happy to get home to be taken care of by parents.  No matter how old I get I still love coming home.
 I have been sharing a bed with Sterling since Matt hurt his back so it has been wonderful to have my own bed for a few nights!

 If you travel often or just need a great duffel bag and tote I highly recommend these from Barrington Gifts.  They are such great quality and you can design you own with whatever pattern or colors you want!


The best part about Christmas this year is seeing it thru Sterling's eyes. He is just so excited.  As soon we got to my parents house he started filling his Santa bag with everyone's gifts to deliver:)  The Santa bags are on sale now and I have to say if you travel for the holidays they are great for packing all your gifts in.

 I love this picture of Sterling and cousin Finley copying each other.
Sterling never sucks his thumb but of course wanted to after Finley did!



This is Frances saying stay away from my puffs.  Girl means business with her food.

Of course I had to enjoy one of my Dad's martinis.  He makes the best drinks.
My leopard shoes are Sole Society and they are doing next day delivery if you still need Christmas gifts:)


I picked up the cutest Plaid Dress to wear to a holiday party this week.  I love it because it is cute with tights and lightweight enough to wear this spring too. 


If you need last minute stocking stuffer ideas check out these men's socks by JL the Brand.  They were sweet enough to send Matt a few pairs and he loves them.  I have to say even though they are men's socks I love them too.  The patterns are so cute and different   Check out the whole site HERE

 I was partial to the skull ones:)  


While I was home my mom made the most delicious Peanut Butter Custard Pie, the recipe came from her good friend Anita and trust me y'all it is amaze balls.  I could not stop eating it plus Mom assured me it was easy to make.  If you like peanut butter desserts you will love this pie!!





|| P E A N U T  B U T T E R   C U S T A R D   P I E ||

- 1 package premade refrigerated pie shells (the kind that comes 2 rolls to a pack)
- 2 cups powered Sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
-1/2 cup corn starch
-1 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
-4 cups milk
- 6 eggs yolks beaten (save egg whites for the meringue)
-4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Meringue
-6 egg whites
pinch of salt
a few drops of ice cold water
1/4 cup sugar

Prebake pie shell according to instructions on package- about 10 minutes, set aside and let cool.
Mix 2 cups powdered Sugar and 1 cup peanut butter, until it looks like a Bisquick mix, it will be crumbly.  Set aside.

In double boiler over low heat cook : 1/2 cup con starch, 1 1/3 cups sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 4 cups scalded milk (microwave the milk about 4 minutes to get hot but not boiling), 6 egg yolks beaten, 4 tablespoons butter and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.  Stir while it cooks so it won't stick until mixture is thick like custard.

Mix meringue.  Beat the egg whites, pinch of salt and ice cold water until light and fluffy.  Slowly beat in sugar and set aside.
In the pre baked and cooled pie shells spread 1/2 the peanut butter crumbles over the bottom.  Pour custard mixture over this top and spread another layer of peanut butter crumbles (save a few to scatter over the top of the meringue).   Top with meringue and a few crumbles.  Bake at 350 until meringue starts to lightly brown.






10 comments:

Lisa Russell said...

That looks yummy!

Side Porch Studio said...

So sorry to hear about your rough patch! Loved your honesty about it though- it was refreshing. Life can feel even tougher when we're only surrounded by the 'picture-worthy parts' instead of the everyday realities. Thanks for helping me remember that.

I hope you can savor the joys of Christmas, big & small.

Katie Bauer said...

You are on the ball! I'm glad you had a nice time with your family and hopefully some relaxing time. Thanks for the recipe, can't wait to try it! Merry Christmas!!

Unknown said...

that peanut butter pie sounds SO good! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Ally- Life as I know it said...

That pie looks delish! I've become such a heifer with all the sweets around!!
Ally - Life as I know it

Taylor said...

I mean….. this pie!! I just can't even handle how insane this looks and how good the recipe sounds. I will be making this for sure!!!

www.itsthelittlethingsblog.blogspot.com

Chelsea said...

Oh man those bags look amazing.. I am going to have to check the out!!
Chelsea @ thewilliamsjourney1.blogspot.com

Harper said...

Glad you got a weekend to get some down time. Really loved your post the other day. So encouraging to hear honesty instead of just a picture perfect life. Hope your family has a Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a chance to get away and relax with your family. :-) I don't know how long you will need to share a bed with Sterling but if you don't already have one, an aerobed is a wonderful investment. Its not like a regular air mattress, it's so comfortable. We have a queen size and a twin size for when we have extra guests. .You might even be able to find a good deal on one right now with the holidays. :)

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing that recipe! looks delicious and dangerous :D