Thursday, April 23, 2015

Losing the Last of the Baby Weight

 That right there is my inspiration body.  I look at it often for encouragement to run or not have seconds.  I mean her body is amazing.  Does my body look like this?  Nah not even close but it provides me with some killer inspiration.

Today's topic is a reader request.  I have actually gotten several emails about this, so I wanted to take the time and write about it.
  I always welcome suggestions so shoot me an email if there is a particular topic you would like me to write about.

Today we shall discuss losing the last of the baby weight and how hard it is.  I am proud to say I finally lost those last 4-5 lbs I was struggling with a few months back.  I actually weigh less now than I did when I got married.  But it took time to get to this point and it was not easy.   I have reached my goal weight but I will be honest I still don't feel totally comfortable in a bikini, my stomach is saggy and I have cellulite.  I do however love my body saggy tummy and all, it housed two healthy babies for 9 months each and that is damn incredible.  What our bodies do is a true miracle.  I will most likely never look exactly like I looked before I had my kids (I know my belly button won't) but this is the new normal and I am ok with that.

The first thing I want to say is truly give your body nine months to get back to normal.  It took you nine months to gain that weight and for your body to expand so it takes time to get back to your pre-baby body.  I remember even when I lost weight my hips and shoulders were still too big to fit in many of my clothes- it takes time for it all to shrink back.  A lot of weight will come off in the beginning and then you will hit a plateau, that holds true for most women.  Don't get discouraged and compare yourself to others or celebrities who seem to bounce back a few weeks after delivery,  that ain't real life.   Your body housed a baby for nine months it will take time to get back to what feels normal for you.  I would say it probably was around when Frances turned one that I hit my goal weight and felt really good about my body.

For me (and remember everyone is different) my weight loss comes more from what I eat than exercise.  I weigh more when I workout more because I end up eating more.  Like right now I am up 2-3 lbs because I have been running more.  I always tend to gain a few pounds when I start exercising more but then it evens off and my body looks way better and tighter.  The initial weight gain is from muscle so don't let it freak you out.  I love to workout for the mental aspect mainly.  I am much happier and I have so much more energy when I work out.  Just last night before I went to bed I told Matt I was feeling so much better since I started exercising more.

I am no expert in this field but wanted to share a few things that worked for me.

ONE | You don't have to workout everyday but when you do workout make it count.  Sweat.  When I workout I workout hard.  Running for me and my body is what works best and burns the most calories and tones me.  It is a full body workout.  Yoga is great too but I have a hard time fitting in time for a class.  Running is easy because I can walk out my door while everyone is still sleeping and be done in 30-40 minutes. I aim to burn around 500 calories when I exercise.

TWO | Make time for exercise.  I go thru phases where a get in a rut and in a bad mood from not working out.  A few weeks ago I thought to myself you are the problem, get your act together.  Now I make it a priority and every other day I wake up at 6:20 and run.  Personally if I don't workout first thing in the morning I will blow it off and make an excuse.  Plus it is a great start to my day and I don't have it hanging over my head all day.  I feel energized and ready to tackle the day.

THREE| Hot lemon water first thing in the morning.  This flushes out your body and helps you digest food easier.  I have stuck with this and really look forward to my water first thing in the morning.  I drink this before my coffee and before I eat anything.

FOUR | Avoid processed foods.  You all know I love food and I would never diet but I do try and avoid eating too many processed foods. Of course if the kids are eating goldfish I eat a few but otherwise I try to stick to fairly clean meals.

FIVE | Eat grapefruit.  I don't know if this a myth but I read somewhere grapefruit ups your metabolism.  I swear when I started eating it in the mornings I lost my last few pounds.

SIX | Try not to weigh everyday it will just drive you crazy.  I weigh about twice a week and sometimes only once a week.  I do feel like it is important to weigh once a week to keep yourself in check.  If I am up a few pounds, I cut back on my eating.  It is a good wake-up call.

SEVEN | Squeeze in exercise when you can.  For me if I don't work out very first thing in the morning I will not get it done.  But often times on days I don't work out, I still try to do squats and leg lifts before bed.  Every little thing helps

SEVEN |Make a new playlist every few weeks.  New music really motivates me to exercise. 
Here is my current one and I have to say Work B**ch is an excellent motivator (gotta love Britney).



EIGHT | Cut back on alcohol- we all know this is hard with small children. I try to have a few days (let's be real two days a week and sometimes that is only one day but I always make that one day happen) with not a drop of alcohol.  It saves so many calories.

As far as meals go here is a typical day of what I eat (this is actually what I ate Tuesday)
Snacks included some crispy peas and two dark chocolate and sea salt squares. 
I only drink water and unsweetened green tea during the day.
I really try not to snack too much.

BREAKFAST
Bread toasted with peanut butter, sliced banana and honey. I also have a cup of hot lemon water and 1 cup decaf coffee.


LUNCH
Veggie sandwich from Atlanta Bread Company + small bag of chips


DINNER
Tuscan Chicken Cakes  + 2 glasses of Rose

There is honestly no quick fix to lose the weight it just takes time.  But exercise and eating clean does help.
I have shared this quote before and I love it.  It relates to so many aspects of life from being pregnant, to having kids and losing the baby weight.  I tell myself this often.


Good luck to all you struggling to lose the last few pounds I know it is hard but it will happen!
Stay confident and love your body!



22 comments:

Chelsea said...

I love this post!! I have just got my baby weight off took more like a year to get mine off!! I been trying to fix things up I.. I love hot yoga and will try pure barre!!! Way to go Momma!! You look great

Atlanta Fan said...

Hi! What brand of green tea do you drink? Thanks!

Unknown said...

Thank you for this Natalie. I have hit a plateau for almost 4 months and it has been such a struggle. It seems like nothing is working, but this made me think positive again. Thanks for the good vibes!

Danielle said...

Thanks for this post. I've never gotten back to pregnancy weight and have gained 20 lbs in the last year. I need to get back on the bandwagon of exercising and eating more cleanly. I think I'll print your sexy girl picture for inspiration as well.

Heather said...

This is so helpful and interesting! I'm curious about your bread - I assume you try to stick to whole grain when possible? It's confusing sometimes how some people feel all bread is bad for you (putting aside Celiac disease, of course, which is a totally different situation).

KSSBelle said...

This is such a great post! Thanks for sharing. Definitely working on losing the last 8 pounds of my baby weight. It's a process for sure. Always good to hear new tips from other busy Moms!

fancysayshaveaball.com

natasha {schue love} said...

Love these posts...I've got quite a ways to go and I know it's because I'm sill nursing and my body type just clings on. But I feel the same way--that what I eat is the culprit for my weight and that working out helps tone but mostly helps mentally! Thanks for the motivation! xx

Sharon said...

I actually have to disagree with you on weighing yourself. Do not do it! Instead base results on how your clothes fit. Weighing yourself will only mess with your mind. Since I started working out regularly, I have actually GAINED 5 pounds. This is because I've gained muscle. However, I fit into clothes that didn't fit before. And I've lost a significant number of inches

If you combine moderation (ie: alcohol, eating out, processed food) with exercise you will be just fine.

"B" said...

For me nursing made me loose my baby weight FAST however it did NOT tone me up. Exercising(running) does that for me. Lots of miles on the treadmill. I may not every be the hard body I was but I am pretty damn proud of the body I do have - 2 babies in two years and confident in my bikini. Plus teaching my girls about confidence and the importance of eating to fuel your body and exercising to keep you healthy.

Unknown said...

I wouldn't encourage others not to do physical activity every day. It's actually better to be consistent at 5-6 days a week with a well-rounded exercise plan. Allowing 1-2 days of rest (not in a row) is OK, and necessary for proper recovery and muscle growth. I have always respected how you eat and the recipes you post here...eating is literally 80% of the battle. :) I am 11 mos postpartum from my 3rd and man, it has been hard this time, but I am older now and also gained more...so I'm paying for that. But my love of fitness will keep me going and will get me there. You do look great, I'd kill for your legs! And it's true about the lemon and grapefruit - you are into EO's now, right? Try 2-3 drops each of lemon, grapefruit and peppermint oil in a glass (not plastic) of water every day...it's called the weightloss trio. Lemon detoxes, grapefruit aids metabolism and digestion and peppermint curbs appetite. www.california-to-carolina.com
www.thegymbunnyblog.blogspot.com

www.thewowie.com said...

I think it is harder to drink every day WITH small children. So many games, practices, projects, school events, requests to play, etc. I am so spent at the end of the day, I pass out without the juice. Just lost a pound thinking about it. :)

Leslie said...

Great tips! Thanks for sharing. :)

Emily said...

Thank you Natalie! I am motivated to finally drop those last few pounds by summer and really appreciate your routine! Exercise is so important to me for the mental aspect as well!
I am SO grateful for all my body did to house healthy children, but I have to admit I'm excited to finally have my body to myself! ;)

Dee said...

Thanks for the great post today, Natalie!
I have a 2 year old and it's been a long journey getting back to my ideal weight.

On the topic of suggestions for future posts, could you post about what you feed Sterling and Frances Moon? Like, a day of meals perhaps? or what you do to get them to eat veggies and "good stuff"? :) I have a picky eater in my hands and it's not always easy to come up with meal ideas!

Unknown said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this post, Natalie! It took me 9-12 months to lose my baby weight and become happy with my body again, too. And I worked out 4-5 days a week from the time Annabel was 6 weeks old! The struggle is REAL! You are an inspiration and a good role model - you are realistic, but you put in true effort. Much love! xx

Unknown said...

awesome post! It's so true that what you put in your mouth means more than how much exercise you get. I know that was the biggest thing for me when losing the last of the baby weight...and now I'm pregnant again and will have to do it all over. Plus I want to lose a few more lbs next time!

Taylor said...

I love posts like this :) You look amazing and all of your hard work has more than paid off! Have fun this weekend at RS can't wait to follow along on instagram! thanks for the extra motivation for my workout tomorrow!

www.itsthelittlethingsblog.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Dealing with all the same issues. My son is about to be 2- and I've got 5lbs to go. I just need to rededicate

Mommy, Esq. said...

I love these posts! You look amazing and its so refreshing to see that someone is actually admitting to the work it takes to get your body back after having a baby. I'm 7 months pp after baby #3 and terrified of taking the kids to the pool this summer because it means I will have to get in a swimsuit in front of people. Your post has motivated me to work out today. Thanks!

Emily said...

Thank you so much for this post! The extra push I need to get my body back!

lori said...

great post, several of these would be my tips as well... it's so hard to love our bodies post baby, but so amazing what they can do, as you mentioned. my little guy is 20 months old and i'm starting to think about getting pregnant with #2, and even though i didn't gain much with my boy, i am terrified of gaining more weight and the changes to my body now that i am just feeling confident and happy with where i'm at... any tips for me?

Haley Marozas said...

Gosh, that veggie sandwich looks GOOD! What is on it as far as condiments go? I NEED to go get one now. Yum!