Thursday, July 29, 2010

Tasty Thursday- Mediterranean Quiche



The recipe this week is for a fabulous quiche. I feel like quiche is the kind of food you either love or hate (Erin, I know you are probably vomiting at the thought of a quiche:). I myself love a quiche, I think it is a such an easy meal to prepare and there are so many variations you can make. I found this recipe online and couldn't wait to make it, my one hesitation it was meatless and I knew Matt would have a problem with this. His exact words when I served this for dinner the other night "um, wheres the meat? we should add some bacon." After actually tasting the quiche he told me he was pleasantly surprised at how tasty it was. This quiche is filled with fresh in season veggies and herbs and a gorgeous mix of my two favorite cheeses Gruyere and goat cheese. So tell me do you love or hate quiche?

MEDITERRANEAN QUICHE

-2 TABLESPOONS UNSALTED BUTTER
-1 CUP SLICED YELLOW ONION
-1 MEDIUM ZUCCHINI, CHOPPED
-1 RED BELL PEPPER, CHOPPED
-1 TEASPOON MINCED GARLIC
-4 OZ'S OIL PACKED SUN DRIED TOMATOES, DRAINED AND CHOPPED
-3 TABLESPOONS CHOPPED FRESH BASIL
-2 TEASPOONS CHOPPED FRESH THYME
-1/2 TEASPOON SALT
-1/4 TEASPOON PEPPER
-3 LARGE EGGS
-1 1/4 CUPS HALF AND HALF
-1/2 CUP GRATED GRUYERE
-1/2 TEASPOON CRUSHED RED PEPPER
-1 STORE BOUGHT PIE CRUST
-3 OZ GOAT CHEESE, CRUMBLED

1) PREHEAT OVEN TO 375 DEGREES
2) IN A LARGE SKILLET MELT BUTTER OVER MEDIUM HIGH HEAT. ADD THE ONIONS AND ZUCCHINI AND COOK, STIRRING, FOR 6 MINUTES. ADD THE RED PEPPER AND COOK UNTIL THE VEGETABLES ARE WILTED ABOUT 10 MINUTES.
3) ADD THE GARLIC AND COOK ONE MINUTE
4)ADD THE TOMATOES, BASIL, THYME AND SEASON LIGHTLY WITH SALT AND PEPPER. COOK, STIRRING, FOR 1 MINUTE. REMOVE FROM HEAT AND LET COOL.
5)IN A BOWL, BEAT THE EGGS AND HALF AND HALF TOGETHER. ADD THE SALT, PEPPER, GRATED GRUYERE, AND CRUSHED RED PEPPER
6) SPOON THE VEGETABLE MIXTURE INTO THE BOTTOM OF THE PREPARED PIE CRUST, POUR IN THE EGG MIXTURE, AND CRUMBLE GOAT CHEESE OVER THE TOP. BAKE FOR 30 MINUTES UNTIL SET. REMOVE FROM OVEN AND LET COOL 30 MINUTES BEFORE SERVING.

** A FEW NOTES: I COOKED MY QUICHE LONGER PROBABLY 45 MINUTES BUT ALL OVENS VARY. I DID 3/4 CUPS HALF AND HALF AND 1/2 CUP SKIM MILK TO REDUCE THE FAT. AND I COOKED MY PIE SHELL AT 400 DEGREES FOR 10 MINUTES AND LET COOL BEFORE POURING IN THE INGREDIENTS.***

HERE IS THE LINK IF YOU WANT TO PRINT THIS RECIPE.

http://www.yumsugar.com/Mediterranean-Quiche-Recipe-8670881

1 comment:

Erin said...

Girl, I might have to give this one a try. I trust you. After 8 years of being quiche free after a case of food poisoning from the savory pie, I think I'm ready. Stay tuned...