Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Roasted Golden Beet Salad


I have been majorly addicted to beets lately.  Random, yes,  but I sure do love them.  For awhile I added them in my juice daily now I am into roasting them.  They are so tasty and really good for you.  They cleanse the liver and for wine lovers like me this is muy importante. 
This is a great fall salad.  The colors are just gorgeous.  You could easily roast the beets + corn and make the dressing ahead of time and then just toss everything together when ready.  I used golden beets because they were on special and looked so fresh at Earhfare but you could def substitute red beets if that is all you can find.  Goat cheese and beets always pair together so well.  This salad is a great combo of salty, creamy, crunchy, and slightly sweet.  Get ready for new your favorite salad!



{ROASTED GOLDEN BEET SALAD}
- 3 medium golden beets (peeled and diced)
-1 ear corn
-half a red onion, thinly sliced
-1/4 cup dried cranberries
- sliced almonds
-crumbled goat cheese
- arugula

Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
-3-4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
-1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
*I always save and clean my old small jelly jars and use them for making dressings.  You can just put everything in and shake and then it is easy to store in your fridge.  The dressing should save up to two weeks.  Just bring to room temperature before using if you pre-make it.*

Toss beets and peeled ear of corn with olive oil and salt and pepper.   Do not dice the beets too small as they will shrink while cooking.   Roast at 350 degrees about 30 minutes or until beets are tender.  Place all ingredients in bowl and toss.  Mix vinaigrette and drizzle over salad.  Less is more with dressing.  Don't add too much or lettuce will get soggy.

20 comments:

Lobster Meets Peach said...

Beets intimidate me big time - I fear my hands would be stained red forever. But this salad looks like it would be worth it!

stephanie said...

Do you roast your corn still on the ear or do you remove? Looks delish! Think I will be serving on Christmas Eve.

stephanie said...

Do you roast your corn still on the ear or do you remove? Looks delish! Think I will be serving on Christmas Eve.

Keely said...

Looks yummy! Thought of you yesterday, made a simple Christmas treat with my 2 1/2 yr. old that I think you and Sterling would enjoy. It's those pretzel, Hershey Kiss, m&m's ( I used peanut butter M& Ms) melts. DIVINE. My daughter was able to lay out all the pretzels, unwrap all the Hershy kisses (minus a few we ate). Then put in a 250 degree oven for 4-5 min. Once soft, press with peanut butter M& M's. Rest in fridge for 10 min. to set. She did most of the work and loved it! Just wanted to share since you always share fun things with us! Merry Christmas!

Chelsea said...

Yum! This looks awesome!

Alex {Things That Sparkle} said...

YUM! I love all of your recipes

Julia Ryan said...

hmmm, I just can't like beets. Going to pass this recipe on to my mom though, they're her fave!

Nat said...

Beets kind of scare me but this salad looks realy good so maybe I should give them a try!

Christina said...

Have you had the beet salad at Hall's yet? Makes me crazy it's so good. I always get the blackened salmon salad add beets. MMM.

Melissa W. said...

Beets scare me :-(
I hear my problem with beets is the fact that I have only tried them froma can! Yuck!

Stilettos Stuck In Snow said...

I love beets!--my mom says they were my favorite food as a baby ha. This salad looks so delicious, and fairly easy to make, thanks for sharing. ~Brett

Unknown said...

I love beets, but I never make anything with them. This sounds like a perfect starting point!

Ashley said...

Looks delicious! Totally pinning this one.

High Cotton Style said...

Looks great. I'm always scared to cook them too!

Dina said...

That looks heavenly! I'm sure you know but Healthy Meets Hungry's blog has TONS of beet recipes, she loves them!

Bud and Leo said...

i love beets too! so healthy!

Val said...

I'm a self proclaimed beet addict. Loving this delicious salad.

DON said...

Mmm this looks amazing!

Unknown said...

I am kind of ashamed to say that I don't think I've ever even tried beets, they kind of scare me and I am worried I won't like them! haha But this salad sounds delish, so maybe I will finally get up the courage to try them!! XoXo

Andrea Johnson said...

I LOVE beets, one of my faves for sure is a beet and goat cheese salad. I've been craving salad for the last couple of days. This will be on the menu tonight!