Thursday, September 13, 2012

DIY Neon Stripe Clutch, Yep I attempted this!

OK, call me crazy but yesterday at nap time I decided I was going to tackle a DIY.   I am usually so not a DIY person,  but you see I was inspired.   I saw the adorable Emily of "Cupcakes and Cashmere" on the Today Show this week, and she was talking about painting purses.  And then I remembered this Claire Vivier Stripped Clutch that I love.


It was enough to get my wheels spinning and believe I could recreate this.  I have a ton of old clutches from my grandmother and from an eBay phase where I went a little vintage clutch crazy.  I chose this clutch because I don't carry it often and figured if I did ruin it, oh well.  You could totally go to Goodwill or look on EBay and find a similar clutch for cheap.


My only piece of advice is if you buy Clutch look for a smooth one, mine proved to be a little more difficult to paint because of the gathered leather.  It was hard to get the stripe super straight.
The next part is easy, pick a color and go to town painting.  This was a no brainer for me, I knew I wanted to do Hot Pink.   Use painters tape and tape off how wide you want your stripe.


I am not sure the best type of paint to use on leather.  I used acrylic paint, because I had it on hand and it worked just fine.   I started this project during nap time and finished by dinner,  super easy.  I took me about 4 coats of paint to get an even look.  I let each layer of paint dry completely before I painted another layer.  This way you don't get clumps of paint.  Mine dried quickly, I would say I waited about 30 minutes between each layer.
I am pretty darn pleased with the end result.  Might just have to carry my new beauty this weekend!


Next, I  plan to get crazy and attempt to do three stripes + a monogram.  Wish me luck!

33 comments:

Sadie + Stella said...

Sheeeeeeeetttt get it girl!!! That's awesome! Looks absolutely fabulous!

Julia Ryan said...

First of all, I am SO PROUD of you for attempting a DIY!!! And you rocked it out on your first attempt. This looks awesome. Kinda makes me want to look through all my old bags to see if I can neon stripe one up.

Richmond Thrifter said...

That looks soooooo great!!! Need to give this a try! Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Jill said...

I saw her on the today show too and thought this might be something I could do!

Your clutch turned out really cute, great job

Chassity (Look Linger Love) said...

Great diy girl. Way to get your hands dirty :)

Alex {Things That Sparkle} said...

so impressed this looks great!

KatiePerk said...

Such a great idea!! It turned out awesome!

Unknown said...

It turned out so well! I love the neon pink/grey combo!

Ashley @ Places To Go, Things To Buy said...

Great job! Love the way it came out!! :)

megan said...

Looks awesome!

caycee said...

Well done Love bug!!! And hell yeah my abs hurt this morning too, loved it though ;)

Nat said...

Great job!! I might have to attempt this DIY!

High Cotton Style said...

Great and easy DIY project!

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

I watched that show, too!!! And I was totally thinking that I desperately needed to DIY it...the ebay idea is *brilliant*!

natasha {schue love} said...

I saw her on the Today show too! And you did an AWESOME job! Honestly...it looks amazing! Totally going to see if I have an old clutch that needs some spicing up!

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

Turned out great!! I love it.

Stefanie said...

I am so not a DIY'er too, but seeing this makes me think I might be able to do it as well. Love the one with three stripes and the monogram. I think I pinned it on pinterest!

Anonymous said...

NIIIICE!!!!! I'm very impressed!! xoxo

Alexa said...

Dude. Girl you totally nailed this look. I love it and how simple!

Cassie {Hi Sugarplum} said...

so super duper cute!!! it looks great -- how let us see it in an outfit! :)

cat g said...

Super cute!! What would you use to do the initials on the monogram one? Just a stencil?

Melissa W. said...

Look at you! All crafty! Ha! Love the addition of a DIY project to your blog!

PS. My local SPCA is making a cookbook for a fundraiser. I gave them your blog for recipes :-). You have some super duper recipes :-)

Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan said...

i saw this on the today show...very impressed!

Andrea said...

Your painted clutch turned out perfectly! I love it!! Can't wait to see more of your DIY projects.

Southern Elle said...

That is lovely!! I adore the monogramming idea. Inspiring.

Unknown said...

How cute are you? That is so adorable. I have a royal blue oversize clutch begging for a hot pink stripe. Do I just send it your way ;)

ali v. said...

SUCH a fun idea! I'm so impressed--good call with the painter's tape. GENIUS! xoxo {av}

blue chickadee said...

Love the way it turned out! I have pondered doing this but never attempted. Glad to know it worked out so well! Love the hot pink!

Ashley said...

MUST do this diy!! American Apparel has some great solid leather clutches that would be perfect for this!

Crissy @ House of Marlowe said...

This turned out great! What a fun project.

chicastic said...

These are really great cluches with nice color patterns. They are simple yet look elegance.

Unknown said...

So interesting! DIY bag is a wonderful thing. It can bring the bag a new life. Do you want to get more bags sourse? Come to http://www.google.com/