Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Farmers Market BLT


Tell me you don't love a good BLT?  It is one of my favorite sandwiches.  Crisp bacon with fresh tomatoes + lettuce is the perfect combo in my book.  Speaking of bacon it still bothers me Gwyneth (Paltrow) doesn't eat pork products.  For a so called foodie and Cookbook Arthur she is missing out on all sorts of tasty bacon and pork dishes.  It is my one beef with my girl crush, otherwise she can do no wrong.

Matt works most Saturday mornings, so usually it is just Sterling and I.  I have started this tradition of taking him to the Marion Square Farmers Market every Saturday morning.  Sometimes we meet friends, sometimes we browse alone, but he loves it.  This week I was inspired to whip up this tasty sandwich when I got home.  I was going to make a regular BLT but then realized I had a ripe avocado and goat cheese and the rest is history.    Let me tell you,  I bought fresh goat cheese for the first time and it changed my life.  It was so smooth and creamy.  I have eaten almost the whole ball in 4 days.  Locals,  it is from the Burden Creek Dairy Farm booth at Marion Square.  Try some you will be hooked.

This sandwich knocked my socks off.  I used fresh grown local spinach instead of iceberg, Johns Island tomatoes, local goat cheese, avocado, and bacon.   I bet you are hungry now. 



FARMERS MARKET BLT

- Cooked bacon (We bake ours in oven on a wire rack at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes.  Easier to clean up and less grease)
- Sliced Tomato
- Sliced fresh Spinach
-Avocado mashed with lime juice and diced white onion
- Mayo
- Crumbled Goat Cheese
- Grain Bread

Toast Bread.  Spread one side with light layer of mayo then add crumbled goat cheese.  Spread other side with avocado and pile on bacon, tomatoes, and spinach.  Enjoy!

24 comments:

Sadie + Stella said...

Ok. I am dying. Is it wrong for me to want to this at 8:00 am? I think not. Something about BLT screams to me in the AM anyhow. Way to go Nat!

Jill said...

WOW, that sounds delish. Goat cheese, avocado and bacon, how can you go wrong???!!!

donna said...

I love BLT. Ok, will have to make this sandwich soon!

FourJedis said...

That sounds delicious! We do a ton of smoked salmon blts (basic blt with smoked salmon and avocado) on homemade dill bread. So tasty. I'll have to try yours out. What's up with Gwyneth not eating bacon? She's obviously never been to a bacon and beer festival (heaven on earth).

megan said...

Man I wish I could eat that for lunch today!!

Liz said...

Looks delish! I love a BLT. Did you use mayo on this too? I love the addition of goat cheese. Our farmer's market sells it too but I've never bought any before - now I will!

Heather (GurleeGirrl) said...

Looks like HEAVEN to me! Goat cheese and avocado and bacon - yes please!

Kim @ keller-creative said...

Yum! We went to the farmers market on Saturday too. We skipped out on the goat cheese but I'm going back for it this weekend!

Keely said...

Looks simple and AMAZING! About the pork thing, i could be vegetarian if only I could give up pork! Bacon, BBBQ, tenderloin... I love! Guess that's why I feel so at home in the South. : )
Trader Joes has a great peppercorn & garlic pork tenderloin if you need something quick & lean for dinner. My hubs LOVES it!
We'll be in Charleston in June, I'll have to check out that farmers market! Thanks for the great info!

KatiePerk said...

Burdens is awesome! If they have it try the lavender flavor!! Amazing and subtle. That looks divine! One of these days we shall run into you there!

erica said...

This looks so good! As soon as fresh produce is in season I am making this! xo

Baby Shopaholic said...

Girl, this looks good! I need to study you how you stay skinny post because you make the best looking food!

Balancing Lisa said...

LOVE the idea of adding goat cheese and guac to it! Must try! xo

http://www.stilettosanddiaperbags.com/

The Daily Stroll said...

Yum! Yum! Yum! sounds delish!

natasha {schue love} said...

Yummmm!! So excited for Farmer's Markets this summer! This looks delicious!

Portuguese Prepster said...

looks beyond incredible!

Andrea Johnson said...

That looks so yummy!! BLT's are so darn tasty but I love the idea of adding the avocado and goat cheese, I must try this one!

Andrea

Southern Living: Preppy Style said...

That sounds simply delightful! Thanks for posting.

Southern Living: Preppy Style said...

That sounds simply delightful! Thanks for posting.

Bud and Leo said...

This sounds ah-mazing! Such a sweet tradition you guys have. :) Pinning this now! Kelli

Jennifer {ooh la la} said...

I am hungry now! BLT is my favorite - can't wait to try this twist. And hit up Burden Creek Dairy Farms when I go to the Farmers Market next. Thanks for posting!

Jordan - Queen of LA! said...

this looks seriously unreal. consider it pinned! YUM!

Unknown said...

how delicious!

Cassie {Hi Sugarplum} said...

That thing looks divine! Only thing I'd change is adding a sunny-side up fried egg! drooooool