Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Fish Tacos With Creamy Lime Guacamole


Since it is Cinco De Mayo on Saturday I thought it was only appropriate to share a Mexican themed recipe today!  We made these tacos last week and they were delicious.  But lets be honest I love any fish tacos!  We baked our fish in the oven instead of grilling and it turned out flaky and perfect.  I used Cod for our tacos but you could easily substitute Mahi, Tialapa or any white fish that is in season that your grocery store has.  We served ours with a side of black beans and rice. Add some some ritas and tequila and you have yourself a sweet Mexican fiesta!  Btw sorry for the lack of pictures.  By the time our tacos were done it was pushing 9:00 and I was too darn hungry to stop and take photos before I demolished my tacos!

FISH TACOS WITH CREAMY LIME GUACAMOLE AND CABBAGE SLAW

Ingredients
2 Hass avocados—halved, pitted and peeled
1/4 cup low-fat sour cream or Greek yogurt
1 small jalapeño, seeded and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons minced red onion
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 small head of napa cabbage, shredded (4 cups)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
2 pounds thick red snapper fillets with skin, cut crosswise into ten 2-inch-wide strips
Ten 7-inch flour tortillas, warmed
2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
Hot sauce, for serving
Lime wedges, for serving


1.Light a grill. In a medium bowl, mash the avocados, sour cream, jalapeño, red onion, cilantro and 3 tablespoons of the lime juice. Season the guacamole with salt and pepper and press a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the guacamole.

2.In a large bowl, toss the cabbage with the 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and the remaining 2 tablespoons of lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.

3.Brush the fish with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately high heat until lightly charred and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer the fish to a platter and pull off the skin.

4.To assemble each taco, spread a dollop of guacamole on a tortilla. Top with a piece of fish, a few tomato slices and a large spoonful of the cabbage slaw. Serve with the hot sauce and lime wedges.

Original Recipe and Photo from FOOD AND WINE

15 comments:

Sadie + Stella said...

On Wednesdays, you SLAY me! Completely slay me! These look amazing. Maybe making an appearance on Cinco?!?! I think so!

Julia Ryan said...

Yes ma'am. I will be putting these on rotation in my new meal planner!

Katie {Miss Dixie} said...

These look amazing- we love fish tacos, living at the beach. If you haven't had them before it is hard to understand how delish they are!

Jenny Castle Design said...

YUM! This is definitely going to happen in my kitchen, thanks for sharing!

Melissa W. said...

You are my go to for dinner recipes!

Chassity (Look Linger Love) said...

YUM :)

Nat said...

Yumm! You always have the best recipes!

megan said...

The creamy lime guac is honestly what drew me towards this recipe! Can't wait to try! :)

Val said...

This recipe has my name written all over it.....VAL, make me!!!!!

Kerr said...

I think I am going to have to make these for dinner tonight. You had me at guacamole!

Andrea said...

Looks amazing! Can't wait to try it!

Baby Shopaholic said...

I love fish tacos! I wish I could come to your house for dinner!

natasha {schue love} said...

MM these look delicious! Love the idea of lime guac! Yum!

blue chickadee said...

You know I'll be adding these to my list of meals to try!!!

Portuguese Prepster said...

Looks delish..I love fish tacos!