Thursday, May 31, 2012

Cooking For Kids + Black Tee Dress

For all you non-moms, sorry this post might be boring:)  I have had several people email me asking ideas for kids week night meals.  Wondering if Sterling always eats the recipes I post.  The reality is, no.  My husband works most nights til 7:30 so he and I usually don't eat til 8 or 9.   Sterling eats dinner around 6 so I usually prepare him something different from what Matt and I are eating for dinner.  I know you are probably thinking wow, that is alot of effort to cook two meals every night.   But it really is not, I have a few go-to, easy meals for Sterling that I keep on rotation.   I definitely buy frozen food that is easy to heat up at night- but I am picky about what frozen foods I buy him. 

When I first got pregnant with Sterling I immediately thought I am going to make all his baby food.  My friends even gifted me with the Beba Baby Food maker- which don't get me wrong is awesome- but then life set and I realized s*$t I don't have time to be making homemade food all day.  And I still don't and that is why I rely on some premade things to help me out.  I do always try to serve fresh fruit and one veggie in addition to the premade items.  While pregnant I also went to a Midwife and thought I was going to have a natural birth sans epidural- I was clearly on crazy pills while pregnant (For those of you who delivered without an epidural more power to you, I realized early on I needed one, quickly!).  That is another story for another time.....

Last week I took pictures of the meals I cooked Sterling each night to give you guys an idea of what I feed him.   I did not picture Friday because usually it is a wild card.  We either order pizza or I fed him
Spaghetti-os.  Here is a week of my little man's meals:

MONDAY
{Panko Breaded Tilapia, Roasted Sweet Potatoes, and Strawberries.}
I highly recommend this frozen fish, Trident Panko Breaded Tilapia.


 I am weirded out by all the fish sticks and fish where it says it is made with "minced white fish", I mean what kind of fish is even in there?  I always think would I eat this when I am feeding Sterling.  I have tasted this fish and it is good and not terribly processed.  I usually serve it with ketchup for him to dip it in and he loves it.  As for the sweet potatoes I slice them in round circles and roast them in Olive Oil, I tell Sterling they are "chips" and he eats them:)  It is all about deception sometimes.

TUESDAY
{Spanakopita, peaches, and Greek Yogurt drizzled with honey}
My little man has some serious vegetarian tendencies, probably because I do too!  Anyways he loves Spanakopita and I feel like at least he is getting a green vegetable because normally he won't eat one.  I buy the Spanakopita in the frozen section at Costco.  It is super easy to just pop in the oven and cook.  He adores Greek yogurt which I feel at least gives him some protein.

WEDNESDAY
{Chicken Nuggets, Strawberries + Peaches, and Roasted Carrots.}
This day we ate lunch at Chick-fila and had leftover nuggets so I just reheated them for dinner.  If I am buying chicken nuggets I like the Morining Star brand- yes I know they are not real chicken but after watching Food Inc you better believe I am not buying Tyson nuggets. 

I will sometimes buy the organic brands of chicken nuggets as well.  The carrots I cut to look like french fries in an attempt to trick Sterling into eating them, and it worked.   I just slice them into strips and roast in olive oil until tender.  I always save extra sauce when we eat at Chick-fila to use at home:)  My man is sauce lover like his momma.

THURSDAY

{Grilled cheese, sliced Bananas, and sauteed Zucchini and Squash}
So I feel like I should tell you Sterling hated the Zucchini.  He put it in his mouth spit it out and said "Sterling no eat."  I keep trying to sneak in green veggies but my little man ain't buying it.  Grilled cheese and bananas are always a hit though.


Now on to some fashion!  Several of you wanted to know about my black tee shirt dress in this picture.  The brand is Velvet by Graham and Spencer and I bought it at TJMaxx years ago.  So no dice on finding the exact same dress...
But I did find these similar versions
It doesn't come in black but it comes in six different colors.  I love the brown.  Honestly thinking about ordering one of these, they look super cute.

Velvet Gianna Dress, $93
This is the same brand as my dress little different style.

Hope that helps!

22 comments:

Liz said...

Thanks so much for all the kiddo meal options! I was beginning to think that I have a picky eater on my hands, but a lot of the meals I make are very similar to Sterlings: chicken, bananas, yogurt, veggies (where possible - Henry loves green beans and asparagus). I need to try the roasted carrots and I just put that tilapia on my list. Thanks Girl! Much appreciated!

Julia Ryan said...

you are rocking the kids meals girl. I am so impressed with your variety. Wells eats the same things over and over again. Poor Girl. Have you tried green beans? They look like fries too :)

Paige said...

Am so glad to see this post about what you fix for kids meals! Meal time is a huge struggle with my little one (she has major texture issues!), so I am always interested in hearing what others try out and to gain some new ideas...so THANK YOU!!! :)

Chassity (Look Linger Love) said...

Dude, I need to step it up in the kid's meal department. This post is so helpful. I'm going to buy that fish. Where did you get it?

Leslie said...

That t-shirt dress is so fabulous on you! Even though I don't have kids, the food post was fun to read. I'm a vegetarian, but my husband avidly is not so, and he thinks the Morning Star nuggets taste better . :)

Jill said...

when Scar turned 3 her pediatrician said to stop making her separate meals and feed her what I am making the rest of us...I swear some nights she eats nothing. She is old enough now to just look at something and not want to put it in her mouth based on looks alone. It is a constant battle, she definitely needs more veggies!!

Laura said...

This post made me really hungry.

What does your husband do for a living? Do you find it hard to eat so late at night? What are some of your favorite snacks?

Alex {Things That Sparkle} said...

I'm not a mom but I loved this post. Sterling's dinners look delish!

Anna (Minted Photography) said...

I love that C&C dress... so comfy and you are one hott momma!!

Stephanie said...

Thank you so much for the ideas! I struggle with what to feed Mason for dinner at 5:30/6pm when Nick and I don't eat until 7/7:30pm. Sometime I'll save leftovers from our dinner to feed Mason for dinner the next night.

Christina said...

This is really random, but since Sterling has started eating, do you find that you pick or snack on his food? I feel like when I have kids I'm going to eat everything of theirs hahaha! Like "oh hey, you don't want that grilled cheese? shoot, I'll take it." Omg I'm going to be a large and in charge mama.

The Daily Stroll said...

I am trying to incorporate what we eat into the kids nightly meals now that they are 6 and 3 but you are right, it's so hard sometimes! I love how you prepared your veggies and I need to find that fish here in my local grocery store. I am always weirded out by fish sticks and tyson nuggets! I usually make my own nuggets with panko bread crumbs. Oh, and I always ask for extra chick-fil-a sauce. I'm scared to know what's in it but OMG it's so good!

natasha {schue love} said...

All such great ideas for the little guy. You are going to be like a bible to me once our guy gets here. SOO much to think about and learn!

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

Keira will eat everything we eat unless it's spicy (and I love it hot!). Henry is super picky and I have to make him separate meals. I'm going to try those Greek thingies and I love Morningstar fake chicken tenders~!

Alexa said...

I AM so excited that you did this post. I'm always looking for new (and easy) meals for Mila. You have some great discoveries here, so thank you! And Mila thanks you too!

Sadie + Stella said...

Sterling no eat! Too cute. Love when they talk in the third person. Honestly! I love all of your fashion you are rockin'. You totally can be my stylist.

Tori said...

I'm no momma but I loved seeing what you buy and feed baby. Thanks for posting! You're my fav blogger :)

-Tori
torigjohnson.blogspot.com

Balancing Lisa said...

great food ideas, and I LOVE THAT TEE dress! so pretty! xo

Pretty in Pink said...

these looks like meals that i would eat. i love kiddy food! i will have to get that tilapia and veggie stuff at costco. i am a vegetarian but i eat fish and have tried my fair share of soy nuggets, but they get old quick!

Val said...

I love these ideas. My little one can be very picky.

Jenny said...

I lovvve the t-shirt dress, so cute! The way you styled it is very casual chic. Target has a similar version in multiple colors for a VERY budget-friendly price :)

Bud and Leo said...

Yum Sterling's meals make me hungry. and how come you find the best things ever at Teej?! I never find anything!