Friday, November 2, 2012

Taco Night

At the Mason House we have a tradition. Every Wednesday we have taco night.  This is something Matt and I look forward to all week.  We both love Mexican food and Wednesday signifies that it is almost the weekend,  so it is our jam.  Plus we love the Wednesday night show line-up with Modern Family.  It is one night we can agree on the food and TV shows:)  I especially love it because I don't have to plan a meal I already know we are having tacos and that is easy!

We always start taco night off with Tequila.  We both like tequila, I love it, Matt tolerates it but it seems to go perfect with tacos.  When Matt gets home we each get a shot (small glass) of tequila that we sip while we talk about our days.   It is a nice way to unwind and catch up with each other.

 Hornitos is the Tequila we usually buy it is around $20, it is decent tequila but not awesome.  If you love tequila you should try Corzo or Partida both are about $70 a bottle but they are Amazing (trust me I have tried many a tequila).


We have taco night down to a fine science and now we make our own taco seasoning and Mexican Rice.   I can't stand the prepackaged kind it tastes so processed.    I am always in charge of the taco seasoning.  Excuse how tired I look, this is my standard look come 8:00 pm.


This is the recipe we use for our homemade taco seasoning.  Try it, I promise you will never buy the prepackaged kind again!  It tastes so much better with all fresh spices and no weird additives.  We make a big batch and keep it in an old jelly jar.


[TACO SEASONING]
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Matt is always in charge of the meat.  He insists on 80/20 ground beef,  and don't judge but it does make a difference.  Lean meat doesn't crumble properly for tacos it gets all clumpy.  If you drain the 80/20 meat well alot of the fat and grease gets soaked up.
This how 80/20 meat should look red and fresh (according to Matt).


My man being a freak about the beef, I am not allowed near it while it cooks.


Hard taco shells are a must.  I actually love a soft taco but for our taco night we always do hard shells. 


And you can't forget the toppings.  We always serve ours with fresh diced tomatoes, julienned spinach, guacamole, diced jalapenos, sour cream, and shredded sharp white cheddar (I always shred my own cheese from the block I think it tastes better).

 
The end result, Mexican Heaven!  (You might remember this picture from my post a few weeks ago.  This is true I eat one taco and Matt eats 5. I am jealous of men and their metabolism.)


So me tell me do you have any weekly meal traditions in your house?  This is one tradition I hope Sterling will grow to love as well!  Who doesn't love a good taco??  I know we sure do!

TGIF Friends.



30 comments:

Julia Ryan said...

I'm having de ja vu on this post my dear but love it all the same! I love traditions with our kids. Wells walks down to the market with Matt every night when he gets home from work to pick up M&M's and usually take out from the restaurant across the street. Does this count? Ha!

Brooke said...

Mmmmm, looks yummy! What a fun idea!


=)


Brooke

Sadie + Stella said...

Love me some tacos. Major!

Georgine said...

Ya'll are precious!! I will definitely have to make Trey the 'meat man' ;) he will love that title! You inspired me and we had tacos recently, and for some reason they seem really rich and decadent for dinner- always a good thing!

TGIF- Cheers!

Paige said...

Ya'll are so cute! Such a fun tradition to have!! Ours consists of walking up to our neighborhood bagel shop on the weekends with hub, babe and dog to enjoy breakfast outside-such sweet times!
Happy Friday!

caycee said...

Love yalls taco night!!! But I love even more you got your man in some pictures and smiling hehe....well done dear :)

Lobster Meets Peach said...

We also had tacos this Wednesday. It is a yummy yet easy mid-week meal. And I have even gotten my kids to help with meal prep!

Keely said...

So sweet! Love how your husband helps you and you get to chat about each others day! We do Taco Tuesday, it has been on the back burner for a few weeks because of the wonderful first trimester food aversions. This is tempting to try minus the meat for me, then maybe I can tolerate it again! So nice to have that mo brainer one day during the week. I try and also do fish (usually salmon) one day also to help wirh planning and getting bored with recipes. Thanks for sharing, great idea!

Unknown said...

Love it! How much of the taco seasoning do you use per pound? I think it's a great idea to make your own! And all of those spices are pretty much staples in my pantry anyway!

Jennifer@The Chronicles of Home said...

So glad you shared this because I am making tacos tonight and was thinking just yesterday that I needed to hunt down a homemade seasoning blend. And are you kidding me with the sipping tequila?? You are bad ass!

Liz said...

I love this post Natalie! I wish I could tolerate tequila, but maybe I just haven't had the right kind.

We don't have a weekly tradition, but a yearly one. Every Christmas morning, we dress up in corny Christmas pajamas and I make Paula Deen's sausage balls and baked garlic cheese grits. It's so unhealthy but delicious I only allow myself to make it once a year. Otherwise we'd weigh a ton!

Happy weekend!

Amy Florez {Baby Mama Juice} said...

I could eat Mexican 24/7. I have a hard time coming up with a new recipe each night. I think I may borrow your idea!!! I'm moving mine to Thursdays! Gracias!

angela said...

Have you ever tried homemade tortillas? I thought it would be so time consuming BUT a friend on mine from Texas insisted that everyone she knew down there (even her mexican friends) used Walmart Great Value tortilla mix. You mix it with water, wait 15 minutes, roll them out and cook in hot skillet for maybe 30 seconds each side. They are Crazy! better than any kind of store bought tortillas. Just a thought since mexican is such a fav in your house. I refuse to buy tortillas any more.

Laura at Simply Lowcountry said...

I LOVE taco night! We do Mexican night at least once a week. Although, I could probably do it about three.

Xo-L
simplylowcountry.blogspot.com

Paula Jean | PJM Interiors said...

Thanks for sharing the seasoning recipe! I can't wait to try it!

Ashley said...

We just started making out own taco seasoning and it's so much better than the packaged kind! If we had it my way I'd convince Brian to have Mexican night every other day- addicted!

Pink and Fabulous said...

Yum! I am going to have to try Matt's meat recommendations but I usually use the extra lean. And men and their metabolisms - completely unfair!

Lindsay :)
pinkandfablife.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Me gusta!!! My Mr. works nights so during the week I am on my own which I no me gusta...but I do love a good tradition and tacos are the bomb!

Christine said...

I loved this idea so much when I ready your "Day in a Life Post" that we started it this week too! We're also huge mexican food and tequila lovers - our fave wedding gift was the Margaritaville Machine! I can't wait to try your taco seasoning and mexican rice recipes! Thanks for sharing girl! Love your blog!

Natalie said...

What a fun tradition! And that last pic of you two is adorable.

Kristina said...

I love that you guys make your own seasoning! You never know what's in those packages! My hubby would love the idea of taking a shot of tequila during our taco night. I will surprise him next week! :)

Taylor said...

we have taco night every thursday - i'll have to mark down this spice recipe because we always use the prepackaged kind! happy friday!

http://itsthelittlethingsblog.blogspot.com

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

I was making sloppy joes about once a week but we got burnt out on them.

Cute picture of you two lovebirds at the end!

Christina said...

You should try to make your own taco shells. I do something like this and it's SO much tastier than those store bought shells: http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2010/04/homemade-taco-tortilla-bowls.html

This link shows how to make taco bowls, but for shells all you have to do is drape them over the grate in your oven (let the tortilla ends hang down). I love the way the flour tortilla tastes - very flakey and cruchy.

Val said...

TACO NIGHT....is my favorite night. I wish we lived closer =) I'd bring the cocktails.

Kelly @ turned UP to ELEVEN! said...

I love that you have a weekly tradition and thank you for sharing your taco seasoning recipe! I've been getting away from the packages as well, they just don't add up to me.

*** I feel the same way about cheese. I love shredding my own. It's an extra step but SO worth it. I feel it melts better as well.

My hubby and I have Thursday as our - food / TV / WINE night. But now that NBC is really messing up their Thursday line up in the future I'm concerned about our tradition we've had for 8+ years.

Cherry Blossoms said...

I will have to try your recipe here! I love how you guys have this weeknight tradition!

Unknown said...

we do tacos all the time! I am totally taking down your taco spice recipe :)

Alicia xoxxo said...

I love that you have a weekday tradition! In fact I may steal your idea I like it so much! :) I love tequila too and hubs just tolerates it for me. lol I think I may agree with the 80/20 ground beef. It does taste a better and def crumbles better! Sorry I havent been around this week. I havent had internet OR cable all week long. I have been dying! If you ever come to Cali you have an open invite to stay with me! I will take you to all the cool Bev Hills HWs spots. I know we would get along famously! ;) So plan a trip out to the west coast. You will love it!

Unknown said...

Looks delicious! I just stumbled across your page and had to follow. I hope you can stop by my page and maybe follow back as well?
www.thebeautybar77.blogspot.com