Friday, September 17, 2010

Best Meat Loaf Ever




My man loves red meat. Problem is I don't love red meat as much as he does, therefore I don't cook with it often. Enter this recipe for meatloaf. Matt kept requesting a hearty meat meal for dinner, I had seen Ina make this one Saturday on the foodnetwork and thought it looked delicious. I was not disappointed and you won't be either. This meat loaf is easy to make and melt in your mouth good. We ate it two nights in a row. I love Ina, she knows her way around the kitchen and I am super excited because she has a new cookbook coming out October 26. I can't wait! Try this recipe it is a real man pleaser.

Barefoot Contessa's Meatloaf
Ingredients
1 tablespoon good olive oil
3 cups chopped yellow onions (3 onions)
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup canned chicken stock or broth
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 1/2 pounds ground chuck (81 percent lean)
1/2 cup plain dry bread crumbs (recommended: Progresso)
2 extra-large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup ketchup (recommended: Heinz)

Directions
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Heat the olive oil in a medium saute pan. Add the onions, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent but not brown. Off the heat, add the Worcestershire sauce, chicken stock, and tomato paste. Allow to cool slightly.

In a large bowl, combine the ground chuck, onion mixture, bread crumbs, and eggs, and mix lightly with a fork. Don't mash or the meat loaf will be dense. Shape the mixture into a rectangular loaf on a sheet pan covered with parchment paper. Spread the ketchup evenly on top. Bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, until the internal temperature is 160 degrees F and the meat loaf is cooked through. (A pan of hot water in the oven, under the meat loaf, will keep the top from cracking.) Serve hot.

You can print this recipe HERE

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

I am so glad you popped over and found my blog!!
Can I tell you I have never thought to add chicken stock to meat loaf? I printed this and may try it tonight:)
Your baby is beyond cute and I am now your newest follower!
Yo can find me on twitter too as @SassyModernMom
Bye For Now

Cindy said...

Sounds delish!!

Unknown said...

I am definitely going to try this! I have been itching to make a meatloaf this fall. Thanks for the recipe!

Tiffany from HOLIDAY said...

Hello there & thanks so much for your sweet comments. Loving your blog as well and too funny to come across this meatloaf recipe. My husband, who is loves meat, claims he hates meatloaf (is this possible?!). I love it and hate that I can't make it. Just last night he said it's probably b/c he had a really bad one when he was younger but that if I found a good recipe, he'd be willing to try. I love Ina and am pretty sure I have this recipe somewhere but am happy to come across it now - great timing! xo

Unknown said...

Hello!
I'm from Spain and I once eated this recipe with a friend from USA and I love it!!! i'll try to cook it tomorrow!!

Thankyou for this

good luck ^^