Wednesday, July 20, 2011

7 Layer Greek Dip


So I went with the Greek dip last weekend for dinner with our friends. Are you surprised? I am a Greek food freak, can't get enough of it. This dip was amazing!! Even my hubby who usually doesn't love hummus or feta was scarfing it down. It was easy to prepare early in the day and then just let it sit in the fridge for a few hours. I think it gets even better as it sits and the flavors mold together. I think overall this is a pretty healthy dip that you don't have to feel guilty eating. I served ours with whole wheat pita chips.

My dip is not quite as pretty as Ourbestbite's photo up top but I assure you it tasted great. I really need to take a class in food photography 101!


7-Layer Greek Dip
Adapted by Our Best Bites from the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook

1 8-oz. package cream cheese, softened (I used low-fat)
1 tsp. dill weed or Greek seasoning (salt free–go for a mix that just has herbs)
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 1/2 c. hummus
1 c. seeded, diced cucumbers
1 c. seeded, diced tomatoes
1/2 c. chopped Kalamata olives
1/3 c. chopped green onions (about 3 green onions completely chopped)
1/2 c. crumbled Feta cheese
1/8-1/4 c. minced fresh parsley

With an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese, seasoning, garlic, and lemon juice until light and fluffy. Spread in the bottom of a pie plate or a small, shallow baking dish. Then spread a layer of hummus. In order, create layers by sprinkling the cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, onions, Feta cheese, and parsley. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours. Serve with pita chips, fresh vegetables, and/or flatbread

check out Ourbestbites HERE to see some assembly pictures of the 7 layer dip and to view a really fabulous food blog.

19 comments:

Alex {Things That Sparkle} said...

YUM! This sounds absolutely delicious. I love all of the recipes that you share!

Alicia xoxxo said...

Ohhhh this looks amazing! I love anything with hummus!!! Thank you for sharing!! I will def have to try this!

Carter (The Mean Mom Chronicles) said...

That sounds so good! Definitely making this for our beach trip next week.

Tess said...

I love this! I feel like it would be a great appetizer to bring to a party, because I doubt anyone else would bring anything like it. I saved it in my recipe folder, so I'll have to let you know when I get a chance to try it. Thanks!!

just ask beth said...

LOVE YOUR BLOG!! My new fave..found you from The Southland Life!! I live in Columbia..and frequent Charleston ALOT! have you been to WildFlour pastry 73 Spring Street? You will love it..Sundays they have the BEST cinnamon buns!

Portuguese Prepster said...

this looks amazing!!!!!

Tara {The Silver Lining} said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'm really excited about this dip! My husband and I love eating Greek food and usually keep hummus around and serve it when we have people over too, but it will be nice to have something different! I think our friends will love it!!

Taylor said...

This looks so delicious! None of my recipes are healthy so this is a great one to add to the list!!

natasha {schue love} said...

Looks and sounds SOOO yummy!!! Such a god idea!

Laura said...

Mmm all those flavors sound so good!! And anything with cream cheese is to die for!!

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

You had me at "greek" my dear! I had your greek chopped salad for lunch yesterday and it hit the spot (c:

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

That really sounds healthy and yummy. I could eat Greek food every day too.

{The Perfect Palette} said...

Looks absolutely delish. definitely making this asap.

xoxo, chrissy
The Perfect Palette

Unknown said...

It looks amazing! I will add it to my must-try recipes.

Bud and Leo said...

Seriously your blog is like my new cookbook! ahhahahha!

Happiness Is... said...

Oh wow - that looks spectacular. As a side note, I made your Greek salad this week and love it. I think I may add chicken to make it heartier on some days, too!

Val said...

Holy Yum.....Looks like this dip was made for me and my Greek obsession.

Melissa W. said...

I am making your dip tomorrw. for a family cookout! Thanks for sharing!

Tara {The Silver Lining} said...

Hi Natalie. I made this dip for a holiday party and it was so good! Loved it! I posted about it on my blog and added a link to here. Thanks for sharing this with us!!

http://thesilverliningblog.blogspot.com/2012/02/girls-night-in-ornament-exchange-great.html