Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Salmon Cakes


This is my cheap and healthy version of Crab Cakes. My grandmother used to make these all the time for us when I was growing up. They are a tried and true family favorite. Normally Matt hates Salmon but he will eat my Salmon Cakes and Sterling loves them too. Salmon is so good for you; I cook these frequently so my men get some fish in their lives. These would be off the hook with fresh Salmon, but I normally just use the canned kind because it is more convenient (and cheap). I tweak this recipe whenever I make it based on what I have in the house. They are great with fresh parsley, bell pepper or corn added in.






SALMON CAKES
-1 CAN PINK ALASKAN SALMON (THIS WILL MAKE 4 SMALL CAKES,DOUBLE IF YOU WANT MORE)
-1 HALF A WHITE ONION FINELY DICED
-2 STALKS CELERY FINELY DICED
-1 EGG
-1/4 CUP PANKO BREADCRUMBS
-SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
-CANOLA OR OIL OLIVE FOR FRYING

DRAIN THE CAN OF SALMON. SEASON SALMON WITH SALT AND PEPPER. ADD IN ONIONS AND CELERY AND TOSS. LIGHTLY BEAT AN EGG AND ADD TO THE MIXTURE. MIX WITH PANKO BREADCRUMBS, ADD MORE IF NEEDED. MOLD INTO 4 SMALL CAKES AND PLACE ON A PLATE. REFRIGERATE FOR 30MINS TO AN HOUR. THIS HELPS BIND THE CAKES SO THEY DON'T FALL APART WHEN YOU COOK THEM. IN A SKILLET HEAT A FEW TABLESPOONS OF CANOLA OR OLIVE OIL ON MEDIUM HEAT. ONCE HOT ADD THE SALMON CAKES. COOK ABOUT 4 MINUTES PER SIDE OR UNTIL NICELY BROWNED.

**IF YOUR SALMON CAKES SEEM DRY WHEN MIXING THEM, ADD ABOUT A TABLESPOON OF MILK, IT WILL HELP BIND THEM. WE USUALLY SERVE OUR SALMON CAKES WITH FRESH BEANS AND ROASTED ASPARAGUS. THIS WOULD ALSO BE GREAT WITH A REMOULADE SAUCE FOR DIPPING**

9 comments:

Chassity (Look Linger Love) said...

My mom used to make these too. I loved them then, it was the only way I'd eat salmon. Maybe I should try my hand at it...

Alexandra Bee Blog said...

thanks for sharing!! crabcakes are one of my favorite foods and i love salmon too, so i'm sure i'd like these!

Julie said...

I'm a Marylander, so I lovee good crabcakes, but they are often expensive to make for a simple weeknight meal. I love this take on them and will definitely be picking up some salmon from Trader Joe's later today to try!

Thanks for sharing!

Hannah said...

These look delish! I will have to try them. I saw your PIPMegan's comment about loving Tibi. It is my absolute favorite! My sister lived in Savannah and bf lived on St. Simon's, so the Tibi store there was frequented quite often. I've got giveaways going on this week, so come stop by!
XO,
Hannah
www.hannahandbryan.blogspot.com

Val said...

Is it bad that I want one of these for breakfast?? They look amazing =)

Rache said...

OH my goodness, I'm a crab cake AND salmon fan. I never thought of a salmon cake - I didn't know that was a real thing! We don't get out much. ;) Also, seafood isn't nearly as popular here as, say, enchiladas. That's STX for you.

I'm so happy about this. Lol - trying these very soon!

Chasity @ Haute Mommy Blog said...

I loooove these! My mom made them all the time for us while we were growing up. I have a recipe for salmon burgers on my blog that you might like to try.

Chasity @ Haute Mommy Blog said...

Oh! You can bake/broil them too. It's sometimes easier than doing the skillet thing.

Alicia xoxxo said...

Ohhh this looks good! I love fish and seafood! But since I have been pregnant, the thought of fish makes me gag. So weird. I really miss eating fish. I wonder if I would be able to eat it like this!? I will give it a try!