Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Spicy Carrot Cake Cupcakes

This past weekend we celebrated my friend Alissa's birthday. I volunteered to make the dessert, because nobody should ever have to make their own birthday dessert! She had mentioned carrot cake was one of her favorite cakes, so I decided to make carrot cake cupcakes. I love cupcakes and think they are much easier than cutting cake. This recipe is from an Old Junior League Cookbook so you know it's good. I feel like every recipe I have ever made from a Junior League Cookbook is amazing! The recipe is actually for a cake but I just poured it into muffin trays instead of cake pans. It makes 24 muffins or a 3 layer cake. These are the same cupcakes we served at Sterling's birthday and they were a huge hit. They also freeze wonderfully if you have alot left over. Enjoy!






SPICY CARROT CAKE/CUPCAKES

2 CUPS SUGAR
2 CUPS FLOUR
2 TEASPOONS BAKING SODA
2 TEASPOONS CINNAMON
1 TEASPOON SALT
4 EGGS
1 1/2 CUPS OIL
3 CUPS GRATED CARROTS

COMBINE DRY INGREDIENTS AND MIX WELL. ADD EGGS AND OIL AND MIX WELL. NOW ADD THE CARROTS AND BEAT ON MEDIUM SPEED WITH ELECTRIC MIXER ABOUT 2 MINUTES. GREASE THREE 9 INCH CAKE PANS OR TWO 12 PIECE MUFFIN TRAYS. PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 DEGREES. POUR BATTER INTO TRAYS OR PANS AND BAKE 25-30 MINUTES. (THE CUPCAKES BAKED ABOUT 25 MINUTES). LET COOL ON WIRE RACKS.

CREAM CHEESE ICING

1 STICK BUTTER
1 8 OZ PACKAGE CREAM CHEESE
1 BOX CONFECTIONERS SUGAR
1 TEASPOON VANILLA
1 CUP CHOPPED PECANS (OPTIONAL)

CREAM BUTTER AND CHEESE UNTIL LIGHT AND FLUFFY. BEAT IN SUGAR GRADUALLY AND ADD VANILLA AND PECANS IF DESIRED.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amaze balls!! I will take four please:-) I'm going to try this recipe this weekend.

Unknown said...

I am such a sucker for cream cheese frosting....yum!

Alicia xoxxo said...

Ohhhh....this looks like heaven!!! Just divine! Stop teasing a pregnant lady! :) This is making me want cupcakes now!!!

Christina said...

ahhhhhh carrot cake!!!

katie stevenson said...

yummy! and, with a vegetable as a key ingredient, it's good for you. ;)

Balancing Lisa said...

ummmm drooling over here!!! yum!

http://stilettosanddiaperbags.blogspot.com/

Jill said...

I just gained 10 pounds!!!

Staci Edwards said...

These look delish!
Thanks for finding my blog, glad to have found yours too!
xo

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

I have never met a cupcake that I didn't like! These are going to be on my list of things to eat this weekend...

Nikosmommy said...

These look delish! I'll have to try the recipe for sure...since my kids are nuts about cupcakes and carrot cake.

natasha {schue love} said...

I just love carrot cake with cream cheese frosting...it has to be one of the best desserts out there! So sweet for you to make these...look delicious!

PS-I would love you to check out my very first giveaway!!

Hope you're having a great night!