Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Tomato, Squash, and Feta Gratin




My favorite thing to do on Saturdays is to hit up our local Farmers Market (am I starting to sound like a broken record about the Farmers Market? Oh well I love it).  This ensures I always have fresh veggies for the week.  Last week I was working with an abundance of Tomatoes and Squash about to go bad which led me to this recipe.  I cooked it one night when Matt was working late (because we all know he is not down with vegetarian meals) and I seriously ate half the gratin in one sitting.  It was so light, fresh and full of flavor.  The feta scallion mixture really made it pop with flavor.   I like to think it is not that bad for me either besides the cheese it is packed full of veggies. It would be the perfect side dish to serve with grilled fish or chicken.  Why is it so hard to take appealing food pictures?  My gratin below looks nothing like the one above.....





TOMATO, SQUASH AND FETA GRATIN (adapted from Haystacks and Champagne)
My changes are denoted in pink.

6 oz zucchini sliced 1/4" on long bias

6 oz yellow squash sliced 1/'8' on long bias

2 scallions chopped

1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic

1/3 cup fresh basil julienned

1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano

2 oz feta cheese, crumbled

Fresh grated Parmesan

12 oz tomatoes cut in half then sliced 1/4"thick crosswise (If you use Roma tomatoes, you don't need to cut again)

2 tsp. olive oil

salt & pepper to taste


Toss zucchini and yellow squash with salt & pepper and a touch of olive oil. In a separate bowl mix scallions, garlic, oregano, & feta.  I added a little olive to this mixture too.  Don't add too much olive or your dish will be too soggy.
Lay zucchini slices in pan slightly overlapping like shingles. Sprinkle with salt & pepper. Top with a layer of tomatoes slightly overlapping. Sprinkle on half of the scallion mix. Top with a layer of yellow squash & another of tomatoes sprinkling each with salt & pepper. Top with remaining scallion mix then drizzle with olive oil.  I added fresh grated Parmesan to the top as well.  I added the fresh basil bewteen each squash tomato layer. 
Bake for 30 min at 400 degrees or until top is slightly browned. Allow to sit for 10 min then cut into wedges & serve.


Recipe and first picture VIA


21 comments:

Val said...

When it comes to food...you and I love the same things. I want this for breakfast. YUM

Alicia xoxxo said...

this looks divine! i am def making! yummy!!!!!

Julia Ryan said...

I think I might just have to make this for Matthew's upcoming birthday dinner!

Liz said...

Yum! I need to try this. I've also been roasting tons of cherry tomatoes since you wrote about them - so good (and I don't even really like cherry tomatoes)!

The Peak of Tres Chic said...

As a vegetarian I am definitely happy about this recipe! It looks so yummy.

Alex {Things That Sparkle} said...

Yum this sounds absolutely incredible!

Mariel said...

I love your recipes! I always forget to take pictures after I finish cooking (I'm always so hungry!) so I can't write about it!

pretty little things said...

that looks so delicious!!

http://allthingsprettyandlittle.blogspot.com/

Megan said...

I went to the farmers market last night in Mt P and have lots of squash and tomatoes. I will have to try this. It looks and sounds delicious!

Bud and Leo said...

omg yum

viv said...

This looks SO good.

Taylor said...

yum - always love all of your recipes!

]http://itsthelittlethingsblog.blogspot.com/

natasha {schue love} said...

Wow, this looks delicious! SO want to try this stat, especially with all the great produce available right now!

Leigh said...

Hi! I'm a new reader and I you just made me hungry!!!! Holy moly that looks GOOD!!! I now want to leave work and ho home to make that for lunch.

I love your blog!

Alexa said...

YUM! Sign me up, that looks fantastic!

Carter (The Mean Mom Chronicles) said...

Hey, I just thought of you. A friend of mine is at Figure 8 this week and Gwyneth is renting the house across the street. She was in the Raleigh area last week for some filming of Iron Man 3. My friend is keeping me updated on any more sightings. I'm so jealous!

megan said...

I could kiss you for posting this today! We got a lot of squash & zucchini in our CSA and I was looking for something new to do with them. Will be making tonight with some grilled chicken!

blue chickadee said...

Yum!!! Looks so good!!! Feta, basil and squash...now we're talking!!!!!

Chassity (Look Linger Love) said...

I could probably eat half of that pan too. Looks delicious.

Gaby [The Vault Files] said...

hahaha I'm so home sick that I read "Toronto, Squash, and Feta Gratin" Looks delicious!

weightloss said...

This recipe looks amazing! I am on a diet and trying to reduce my calorie intake so I am going to use low fat feta cheese.