Thursday, June 14, 2012

What I learned From Martha This Week.

For some random reason I get the Martha Stewart Everyday Food Magazine in the mail.  I never ordered a subscription but somehow it just keeps on coming.  Most of the recipes are not that great but in last month's issue I came across this article "Infuse Your Booze."


I have wanted to try my hand at making my own infused booze forever and this article gave me the push I needed.  Matt loves peaches (like really loves peaches, he even eats the skin which grosses me out, I mean it is hairy....) so I decided to give peach vodka a whirl since I had some really delicious peaches left from the Farmers Market.  I made a small batch of the vodka first as a trial run because who wants to ruin a whole half gallon of vodka if it sucks?? I diced one peach and then poured some Titos (the best vodka ever) over it to just cover.  Martha says to let it sit for at least a week and shake it daily.

I gave it a good shake every night and tried my hardest to resist drinking it.

Disclaimer- Matt and I could not wait any longer and decided to try the vodka last night after 3 days.  It was so not ready and not great.  We decided to add in more diced peach and sliced limes.  We added lime juice into our small trial run and it worked great because it gave it the right acidity to cut the vodka.  We will test again in a week and report back.  I want to get this down right.  Until then back to my wine.

On another note Martha also taught me that Beets are good for detoxing your body.  Her magazine states, "Detox Cred: Antioxidant superstars, red beets contain betalains, compounds that fight inflammation and support your detox by neutralizing toxins and making them water soluble and easily flushed."  I love anything that helps cleanse my body and liver.  Every morning I have ventured away from my normal green juice and I have been drinking beet juice.   The color is gorgeous, right?


I juice: 1 beet, one carrot, half a cucumber, and an apple.  I kind of like the way it tastes in a weird way and guess who else does?

Shocker.  He drank a small glass of beet juice or "Mommy's pink juice."  And that was his vegetable count for the day!

So the moral today is trust Martha, she is smart.  Enjoy your infused vodka and then drink beet juice the next day to cleanse your liver. 

21 comments:

Chassity (Look Linger Love) said...

Oh what a good boy! He drank up the beet juice!

Sadie + Stella said...

How funny!! Love the beet mustache. Love!! Can't wait to see how this infusion turned out.

Anonymous said...

Natalie- I have a bit of experience with infusing vodka (tehe). I find that it comes out THE BEST when you use frozen berries. Of all the fruit infusions we have tried, they are by far the best. I use one large bag per (normal size) bottle of vodka. SOOO good with just soda water...or as a fun cosmo!

KatiePerk said...

I like that you provide booze & the detox recipes. Very balanced!!!

Julia Ryan said...

I LOVE STERLING!!! So curious to hear how this science project turns out! And of course, love the dress ;)

Virginia Belle said...

I love the idea of making your own infused vodka so I can't wait to hear how your peach version turns out!

Liz said...

Oh my gosh he's so cute!

pretty little things said...

infusing your own vodka is such a great idea! love it!!

http://allthingsprettyandlittle.blogspot.com/

Portuguese Prepster said...

Looks like fun to make...let us know how it turns out in the end!

Taylor said...

my boyfriend eats the skin on peaches too and it grosses the hell out of me. he thinks Im the weird one for peeling them.... I'm from Georgia so I think I win + they DEFINITELY should be peeled! Hope it turns out great - sounds delicious.


http://itsthelittlethingsblog.blogspot.com/

Christina said...

I get that magazine too...and I'm also not sure how or why, but I'll take it. Martha is a genius! If she wasn't such a snooty bia, she'd really be my idol. LOVE the pic of him drinking your juice. Adorable! So glad you enjoy beets as much as I do.

natasha {schue love} said...

Ooo peach infused vodka sounds amazing!! You'll have to let us know how it goes! ;)

Unknown said...

good information! by the way, did you ever try the tracy anderson post pregnancy workout? I am considering starting there along with some jogging. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Emily said...

That pic of your son is too cute. Think I may need to try that beet juice.. Please let us know how the infused vodka turns out, sounds yummy! Tito's is the best, totally agree!If you like spicy stuff here's a great recipe from Martha's Everyday Foods. Oh, well just realized it was in her magazine but actually an Emeril recipe!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/pork-and-chorizo-burgers-with-green-chile-mayonnaise-recipe/index.html

Ashley said...

your beet juice sounds just like my favorite "reviver" juice i get at the juice joint at the farmers market - it has carrot, beets, apple, and ginger - so maybe try adding ginger next time!

erica said...

I love infusing booze I usually give it to people as gifts at Christmas. It definitely needs to sit forever to get the taste infused into it. Hope your trial run turns out amazing. xo

Dina said...

hungry meets healthy always posts beet recipes...been curious about them! guess she's right!

Jill said...

good ol Martha!! Guess she knows what she is talking about:)

Andrea said...

Peach infused vodka sounds so good! Can't wait to hear how it turns out! I seriously need to go shop for that dress too, I love it!

Colleen Sullivan said...

I love your necklace!

I made cran infused vodka for a couple friends this christmas

http://www.colleenandkeith.com/2011/12/cranberry-and-lime-vodka.html

I turned out pretty, but I was pregnant so I don't know what it tasted like.

Val said...

I love your Friday thoughts...That ice cream sandwich looks like HEAVEN.