Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Quinoa + Chicken Fajita Bowls


I am always looking for quick and easy week night meals and especially ones that can be prepped ahead of time.  These Quinoa Bowls were awesome and they reheated really well as leftovers.  
To keep things super easy I just used a Rotisserie chicken, I hate dealing with raw meat anyways.  But if you wanted to you could grill your own chicken for this.  I used store bought fajita sauce (I love the Fonterra brand) but once again you could easily make your own if you wanted too! Confession I even used the microwave quinoa that comes in a bag like the rice.  It means one less pot I have to clean, and it cooks quickly. 

 This is delicious without the meat.  I mainly cooked the chicken for the kids, but I ate mine with just the sautéed veggies and it was super tasty!  You could easily do shrimp or steak instead for the protein option if you wanted to!  I find it is easy to assemble everything in one big bowl and then let everyone serve their own bowls.  Or you could make a serving station with separate bowls:) 
Enjoy!

|| Q U I N O A + C H I C K E N  F A J I T A  B O W L S ||

- 1 rotisserie chicken shredded
- 1 package Fajita sauce (I used Fonterra Brand, it comes in a pouch)
- 4 ears of corn cooked 
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 avocado sliced
- spicy black beans (recipe HERE)
- shredded white cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- jalapeños
- corn or flour shells (optional)


Cook the quinoa according to the package.  If I am feeling really lazy and don't want to wash a pan I buy the microwave kind:)  

Boil the corn about 15 minutes until tender.   Then cut off the kernels and place in a large bowl.


Place 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet and add onion and bell peppers.  Sauté 15-20 minutes until the veggies get caramelized and lightly brown.  

Remove veggies and in that same large skillet add the shredded chicken and fajita sauce and cook about 5-7 minutes until warmed through.

Assemble the quinoa, veggies, chicken, avocado, black beans, corn, cheese and toppings in a large bowl and then let everyone serve their own bowls.

Recommended toppings : salsa, hot sauce, pickled jalapeños, sour cream and flour or corn shells for the side.








3 comments:

Jenny B said...

Just wanted to say I always cook my quinoa in my rice cooker. I just do 2 to 1 water or broth to quinoa and it works perfectly.

Alexandra Bee Blog said...

These look great and I love the idea of using quinoa as a rice substitute!

Chasity @ Haute Mommy Blog said...

Your recipes are always so yummy! Thanks for the heads up on the microwavable quinoa. I had no idea and it sounds much easier. Not that regular quinoa is hard, but I hate washing any more dishes than I have to.

www.hautemommyblog.com