Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Thanksgiving Delight


As soon as I saw this recipe on Smitten Kitchen, one of my favorite food blogs, I knew I had to make it. Sweet Potatoes and Goat Cheese are two of my favorite things so I knew this recipe would be the bomb. Trust me it did not disappoint. This is one of the most delicious things I have cooked in a long time. It would be perfect for Thanksgiving. Not only does it look gorgeous with all the fall colors but it will literally melt in your mouth. The combo of roasted sweet potatoes, goat cheese, and dried cranberry/celery relish is divine! The picture at the top is from Smitten Kitchen, I had to include a great picture at the top, but the 4 below represent my cooking skills:) I am still dreaming about this dish and I ate it for dinner last night and lunch today, it's that good!





SWEET POTATOES WITH GOAT CHEESE AND CELERY
1 1/2 pounds sweet potato, scrubbed, unpeeled, in 3/4- to 1-inch coins
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/4 cup toasted and cooled pecan halves
2 tiny or 1 small shallot
2 stalks celery
2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon dried cranberries or cherries (optional)
2 ounces firmish goat cheese
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon smooth Dijon mustard

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Coat a large baking sheet generously with olive oil, about 1 to 2 tablespoons. Lay sweet potatoes in one layer on the oiled sheet. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast, without disturbing, for 15 to 20 minutes. Carefully flip each piece: the undersides should be blistery, dark and a bit puffy and should release from the pan with no effort. If they’re not, let it cook longer. Sprinkle them with additional salt and freshly ground black pepper and return the pan to the oven for another 10 minutes or so, until the undersides match the tops.

Meanwhile, prepare your salad. Chop your pecans well, mince your shallot, chop your celery and parsley, mince cranberries if using them. Crumble your goat cheese. If you, like me, got too soft of a goat cheese for mixing, set it aside and sprinkle it on top. If it’s firmer, stir it into the mixture. In a small dish, whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon dijon. Pour half over salad.

When the potatoes are done, lay them on a serving platter. Scoop a spoonful of the salsa over each round. Pour remaining salad dressing over top, to taste. Eat immediately.

Check out Smitten Kitchen for a full run down on this recipe and some gorgeous pictures. Way better than the crappy ones my camera takes!

5 comments:

Alicia xoxxo said...

You post such good recipes! I love goat cheese! This looks very good! Will def have to try! Thank you for sharing!

Megan // Honey We're Home said...

I love Smitten Kitchen too!! Have you seen her baby food recipes? I love the pics of her little guy too- so cute with all those curls.

Jill said...

I love sweet potatoes, goat cheese and Gwyneth Paltrow too! I soooo need to try this recipe. Looks delish! And now I am officially hungry. :-)

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

Good grief does this sound yummy!!!

GiGi said...

going to try this next week...love anything from smitten kitchen!!