Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Two Potato Gratin



If you are still tweaking your Thanksgiving menu and need another recipe, this is it! I am at home visiting my parents right now and we made this dish this weekend and it was AMAZING! The combination of the sweet potatoes and russet potatoes mixed with two different cheeses is perfection. This dish is creamy and rich and ohh so good. I highly recommend you try this recipe even if you don't make it for Thanksgiving it would be great for a dinner party or just a family dinner! I can't take credit for the picture at the top, it is compliments of Williams Sonoma. I forgot my camera cord to upload the pictures I took of our gratin. I will add them next week. I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving tomorrow!! There are so many things I am thankful for this year, including my lovely readers.

TWO POTATO GRATIN WITH CHEESE

-2 TBS unsalted unsalted butter, cut into small pieces.
-1 Cup half and half
-1 Cup heavy double cream
-Salt and pepper to taste
-2 ½ lb. Russet potatoes, peeled and sliced
-2 ½ lb. Sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into rounds
-½ lb. Shredded Gruyere or aged Swiss or French Comte.
-¼ lb. Parmesan or Manchego cheese, grated.

Preheat oven to 325. Grease 9 x 13 baking dish.

In a large bowl, stir together the half-and0half and cream, salt and pepper. Add all the potatoes and toss. Layer abut ¼ of the potato slices in the dish. Scatter ¼ of the cheeses over the potato layer. Repeat to make three layers and reserving a final sprinkling of cheese. Pour any cream mixture remaining in the bowl over the potatoes. Sprinkle remaining cheese evenly over all. Scatter butter pieces evenly over the cheese.

Transfer to the oven and bake until the top is browned, the cream has thickened and bubbling, and a knife inserted into the center meets little resistance, about 1 hour and 20 minutes.

Transfer to rack and let rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.

Serves 8-10. Recipe from Williams-Sonoma, Thanksgiving.

3 comments:

Alicia xoxxo said...

Yumm....looks good! I am headed home today to spend Thanksgiving with my family and I am going to make your other sweet potato recipe! The one with goat cheese! Thanks for sharing! Happy Thanksgiving!

Jill said...

That sounds so good, I am going to have to give it a try!

Happy Thanksgiving Natalie

Christina said...

have a wonderful thanksgiving!!