Wednesday, June 5, 2013

BLT Dip


Get ready for the best appetizer ever.  We made this over the weekend and demolished the whole thing.  I found this recipe in a church cookbook my Mother-in-law gave me.  Aren't church cookbooks the best?  I swear they have the best recipes.  This recipe is super easy.  A few tips if you can use fresh farmers market tomatoes- they make it taste so much better.  I used a mandolin to slice the iceberg lettuce super thin but you could also just buy the pre-shredded kind. The recipe didn't call for it but I added chopped green onions to the top and I think they really added to it.  I will always add them when I make this recipe.  We served ours with Fritos and I thought it was the perfect combo but you could serve with any chip you like!
 Enjoy!

:: B L T  D I P ::
- 1.5 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 pound bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce finely shredded
- 2-3 tomatoes diced
- 2 green onions sliced
- Fritos or Corn Chips

Combine sour cream and mayo, put in bottom of dish.   Put bacon, lettuce, tomatoes (season this layer with salt and pepper), and green onions on top.  Cover and chill.

*If you make ahead I would recommend leaving the tomatoes off til right before serving because they will make the dip watery.  I mixed up the mayo, sour cream and layered with bacon and lettuce and let sit in fridge 1-2 hours then added tomatoes and green onions before serving. *

14 comments:

Layne said...

Looks like a yummy idea for Fathers day! And you are so right about those church cookbooks. I love my hand me down ones from my grandmother. Had to figure out what "oleo" was when I first used it, but the old terms are part of the charm. :-)

Jennifer@The Chronicles of Home said...

Oh wow...my favorite sandwich in a dip?? Yes, please!

Jill said...

all I can say is thank you!!

Sadie + Stella said...

OMG I would willingly get fat for this dip.

Julia Ryan said...

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaackkkkk!!!! And this looks delicious. My friend Jen makes this and it's insane.

Chassity (Look Linger Love) said...

get in my belly.

Meredith said...

my mouth is watering! I can't wait to make this - thank you for sharing!

Melissa W. said...

My mouth is drooling. I cannot wait to try!

Alicia xoxxo said...

I will def be making this! Thank for sharing!

Unknown said...

This looks so good! You are full of great recipes Natalie!

Lynzy said...

WOW. this looks absolutely delicious. I have been craving everything bacon since the beginning of my pregnancy and this hits the spot!!

x Lynzy

Taylor said...

Yummm. especially with fritos - done deal.

http://itsthelittlethingsblog.blogspot.com

Michaela said...

Really craving this right now!!!

Val said...

GET IN MY BELLY!!!