Wednesday, January 11, 2017

New Year Detox Bowl


When we were in NYC a few months ago we had lunch at Jack's Wife Freda.  I had been stalking their instagram page for awhile and it was top on my list of places I wanted to try.   It certainly did not disappoint.   We all shared several dishes but the one I couldn't stop thinking about was their breakfast bowl.  Apparently the ingredients of this bowl change seasonally.  When we were there it filled with quinoa, spaghetti squash, greens, avocado and a poached egg.  All served with the most insanely delicious jalapeno avocado dressing.   The bowl seemed so simple yet it was so good.

This was my attempt to recreate a similar version.  I called mine a detox bowl because it is filled with so many veggies and grains that are good for you.  A perfect healthy meal for the New Year and for any of you who are trying to eat healthier.  Lots of vitamins and nutrients are packed in this gem of a bowl.  

Everything can be made ahead of time.  You can store in different containers or all in the same large bowl like I did.  To serve I would slightly reheat (or bring to room temperature) everything except the avocado, radishes, and dressing.  I would probably cook the eggs right before serving.  The dressing is off the hook you guys!!   Like I want to put it on everything or just eat it by the spoonful.  In fact the next day I used some of the leftover greens and put a fried egg on top with the avocado dressing for breakfast.  
Enjoy!

|| N E W  Y E A R  D E T O X  B O W L ||
This makes enough for about 4 bowls

- 1 cup cooked quinoa (I used red quinoa, but any kind works)
- 1 spaghetti squash roasted (see below) 
- 1 watermelon radish thinly sliced 
- 4 eggs hard boiled or poached
- 1 head kale
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes

D R E S S I N G
- 1 Avocado
- 2 small jalapenos seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- juice of one lime
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
salt and pepper

Place all in food processor and blend.  If it is too thick add a little water.  

For the Bowls:
Cut spaghetti squash in half and scoop out all the seeds.  Brush the insides with olive oil and then sprinkle with salt and pepper.  I like to drizzle just a touch of apple cider vinegar too (a trick I learned from Ina).  Place on a baking sheet flesh side up and bake at 350 degrees 1 hour or until fork tender.  Once cooled take a fork and shred the insides and scoop out. 

Cook quinoa according to box.  It is usually 2 cups of water to 1 cup uncooked quinoa.  After it is done cooking drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and fluff with a fork.  For extra flavor you can cook the quinoa in broth. 

Slice the cherry tomatoes in half.  Toss with olive oil and salt and pepper.  Place on a baking sheet and cook about 30 minutes at 350 degrees. You can cook these the same time as the squash.   

Shred and de- stem the kale.  Saute in olive for about 5 minutes, just until lightly wilted.  Add a drizzle of balsamic vinegar at the end and toss.  

Place the eggs in a bowl covered with water.  Bring to a boil then turn off and let them sit 10 minutes.  Then peel and slice. 

Assemble all ingredients in a bowl and top with sliced radishes, avocado, eggs and Jalapeno Avocado dressing.




6 comments:

Taylor said...

This is right up my alley! A touch of ACV on the spaghetti squash?! I had no idea! Can't wait to try it!

The Sarcastic Blonde

Marychris said...

Where on earth do you shop for watermelon radishes?! We have a nice grocery store where I am from (Publix), but I have never seen them. Do they taste like a regular radish? They look so pretty :)

Rachael B said...

Can you please link your serving dishes? I know you have in the past but I couldn't find. Thanks so much!

Sarah said...

Sounds SO good! Thanks for sharing!

Sara said...

Love this recipe idea, thanks!

Social Dearest said...

YUM! Can't wait to try. Thanks for sharing.

Emily | www.socialdearest.blogspot.com