Thursday, August 9, 2012

Trader Joes What You Should Buy Part 2

After my first Trader Joe's post, I got such great feedback.  So many friends told me they bought everything off my list.   They said they loved it because they were always too were overwhelmed and didn't know what to shop for at Trader Joe's.  So,  I decided to do a little more research ( and alot of eating) and bring you round two of things you should buy at Trader Joe's.  I keep finding great new things at TJ's that I had to share!  Trust me you are going to want to stock up on everything on this list!

REDUCED GUILT SPINACH & KALE GREEK YOGURT DIP
This is a creamy dip you don't have to feel bad about eating.  It is made with Greek Yogurt instead of Sour Cream or Mayo plus it is filled with two leafy greens,  spinach and kale.  Serve with some pita chips and you have the perfect no fuss tasty appetizer for your next happy hour get together.



PASTRY BITES WITH FETA AND CARAMELIZED ONIONS
These puff pastry bites are so good.  They are always a hit at parties.  Best part is all you have to do is pop them in the oven for a few minutes and you have a kick ass appetizer. 

COLUMBUS PEPPERED SALAMI
I think most of you know I love to have all the makings on hand for a killer cheese tray.  This salami always makes it way to my cheese tray.  It is all natural,  meaning no nitrates and the pork is raised without anti-biotics.  It is hand rolled in cracked black peppercorns which give it the perfect bite. 


STEMMED AND PEELED BABY BEETS
Beets are one of my favorite foods and bonus they help detoxify and cleanse your liver which makes me love them even more after a night of too much vino.  If you have ever cooked beets you know it is messy, your hands turn pink and the beets stain anything they touch.  They are tricky to peel as well.  That is the great thing about these beets,  the hard work is already done for you.  They are cooked, peeled and ready to eat.  Toss in a salad and you have a fab easy meal.


MINI HEIRLOOM TOMATOES
I love heirloom tomatoes.  They have a much better flavor than regular tomatoes but usually they are way more expensive.  Not at Trader Joe's,  you can get this pint for $2.79.  At other grocery stores it is about $5.  I use my  mini heriloom tomatoes in an arugula salad or thinly slice on mini pizzas.

SHAVED BRUSSELS SPROUTS
I have this Brussels Sprouts salad I am obsessed with but never want to make it because it is such a pain in the arse to shred all the Brussels Sprouts.  It is hard with a knife and my mandolin scares me.  Holding tiny Brussels Sprouts puts my fingers way too close to that razor sharp blade.    I was so happy when I found this bag of pre-shredded Brussels Sprouts at TJs.  Great for salads.


and if you need inspiration here is the recipe for my favorite Brussels Sprouts Salad.  It is mouth wateringly good!


ORGANIC KALE
I have really been into Kale salads lately but I hate the prep work of washing the kale, and chopping off the stems.  This bag of Kale is already chopped and ready to use.  You can eat raw in salads or sautee with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar for a tasty side dish.


This is my go-to Kale Salad.  Make it with the TJ chopped kale, I promise you won't be disappointed!


DARK CHOCOLATE ALMOND BITS
These are hands down the tastiest sweet treat ever.  But be warned they are addictive.  I could almost eat the entire container.  The almonds have a touch of sea salt on them which makes the flavor pop with the dark chocolate.


MINI MILK CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER CUPS
If you love Reeses Cups as much as I do then you must try these.  They are tiny,  so you can eat several without feeling too guilty about it!


BARBERA D'ALBA WINE
I first tasted this wine at my parents house.  I loved it so of course I went back to buy more and was shocked to see it was only $6.99 a bottle.  Go buy a case of this wine.  It is amazing for the price.


28 comments:

Sadie + Stella said...

Ok you had me at that shaved brussel sprout situation. So I am embarrassed to say that we moved to Richmond and now have a Trader Joes and I never go. Fail. I will change that. Also, your rug is to die. WTF??!? Designerista. I tell ya. Have fun on your trip love!

pretty little things said...

I really need to hit up my local trader joes. I've never been there because I always thought it was expensive, but it looks like there is a great selection!

http://allthingsprettyandlittle.blogspot.com/

megan said...

I love Trader Joe's, but like you said, I am one of those who gets overwhelmed by it and don't know what to buy! Definitely want to try that spinach & kale dip!

Alex {Things That Sparkle} said...

That is salami is my favorite EVER, but my fiance thinks its too "spicy" so I end up eating it all. Yummm

donna said...

I love Trader Joe's. The Brussels sprout is a favorite.

My other favorite is the chicken dumpling...so easy and can be microwaved. My kids loved their turkey corn dog.

Julia Ryan said...

Yum, this all looks so yum. I have got to make the effort to drive out to Trader Joe's more often. I haven't been once since we moved here. Sad! But now that we're all on another health kick I am making a real effort asap!

Julie said...

Those pastry bites are great for parties and the heirlooms are my go-to for lunch. What did I do before TJs?

My Life as A Plate said...

I am a HUGE TJ fan!! But I have never seen the spinach dip or the shaved Brussel Spouts!! Both sound amazing, and I may just make that salad tonight! YUM!

Becca | Lowlife Couture said...

all new things for me to try, cant wait!!

Baby Shopaholic said...

I love trader joes. thanks for the suggestions! 2 buck chuck is my fave : )

Leslie said...

I went to TJ yesterday but after reading this post I need to go back and shop more! Have you tried the Mushroom & Truffle Oil pizza? It is amazing. Also they have the best white peaches!! :)

Sunkissed and Southern said...

Those pastry bites are way too addicting...i want to eat the whole pan!! yummy!

Portuguese Prepster said...

The first dip looks like a much healthier substitute for spinach and artichoke dip. I'll have to try it!

California Wife said...

Those feta and caramelized onion pastry bites are sooo good. Perfect for parties and super easy!

Ashley said...

I love when you post about Trader Joe food! I just moved to a city that has a Trader Joe's and I never know what to get!

blue chickadee said...

Great tips for my next TJ's shopping trip!! Those puff pastry bites with feta and caramelized onion are out of this world good!!!!!

AMO said...

Yum, great recommendations! You need to try the frozen chocolate croissants. They are not a healthy option, but are to die for. Like waking up in Paris.

Alexa said...

I just bought those beets...so funny. Love this list...TJs can get really overwhelming!

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

I love all those foods and I'm obsessed with beets and Brussels sprouts. Thank you!

natasha {schue love} said...

Beyond amazing list! Will be on the lookout for these things next time I go..especially the almond bits!

Christina said...

must go get that wine!

Alicia xoxxo said...

Great list! I think we will have a TJs in Cali! But how do you stay so skinny with all these delicious eats?!

The Daily Stroll said...

Great list! Thanks!

Colleen Sullivan said...

Those dark chocolate covered power berries are super tasty too!

I love all the products at Trader Joe's that make cooking easier!

Virginia Belle said...

We are obsessed with the Kale and Spinach Yogurt dip in our house. I can't wait to try the caramelized onion pastry bites!

Teresa @ http://www.fitinwoodbine.com/ said...

I will be hitting up TJs this weekend. I get so overwhelmed when I walk in there so this will help me to start with just a few items!!

Val said...

I swear to you that we are twinsies seperated at birth. Ha. This looks like my shopping cart when I check out. That dip is my life line.

Kyle said...

Loving Part Two!!! We are headed to the beach this weekend as well, so I am going to stock up before we leave. You have got to try Love Beets. They are sold at Whole Foods. Each container is infused with something different-honey+ginger, balsamic vinegar and my favorite, sweet fire! The TJ beets reminded me of them. Have a fun week.