Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Greek Shrimp


I am sure many of you are already familiar with the food blog, Dinner a Love Story.  I wasn't until I stumbled upon the cookbook at the library last week.  I checked it out and have spent the last week devouring it.  It is filled with so many great recipes and personal stories.  I am considering buying it because I have enjoyed it so much.  Only downside- no pictures for all the recipes.  I am a visual girl and I like to see pictures of what I am going to cook.  I still loved the book and best part most of the recipes are easy because they have two kids.   I love the importance they place on family meals and cooking/eating together with your kids.



Greek Shrimp was the first recipe I decided I wanted to try out of the book and I was not disappointed. It is only a few ingredients and so easy to whip together!   It would have been even easier if I had requested my shrimp to  be peeled and deveined.  Why do I always do this myself when they will do it in the store for you??
  We served ours over white rice (white for my man who turns his nose at anything brown in the pasta/rice family).   I didn't use hardly any rice for my bowl and it was delish just by itself.  It would be great with just a big piece of French Bread to dip in it or served over pasta.  The next night we used the leftovers to make Greek Shrimp Flatbread Pizzas.  So you are basically getting two recipes in one!  Enjoy!


{Greek Shrimp}
-1lb Shrimp Peeled and Deveined
-1 28 oz can Tomatoes, Drained
-2 garlic cloves minced
-4-6 oz feta
-2 tablespoons chopped parsley
-juice of half a lemon

To make: Preheat oven to 425°F. Saute two minced garlic clove in olive oil in an ovenproof skillet set over medium heat. Add one 28-ounce can of tomatoes (drained, very important), and stir, breaking up tomatoes. Cook for about 10 minutes. Nestle in a pound of shrimp and cook until shrimp starts to turn pink all over, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle two-ish handfuls of feta on top and bake in your preheated oven for about five minutes until cheese is melty. Remove from oven, add chopped parsley and the juice of  half a lemon. Add salt and pepper to taste.

17 comments:

Julia Ryan said...

This looks amazing my dear! I love shrimp and I love feta. What could go wrong? I agree, pictures are what lure me into food not all the words or names of recipes!

Lala said...

That sounds too easy to even be true! Thanks for the dinner idea :)

Amy Florez {Baby Mama Juice} said...

Yum! That sounds just like the shrimp dish they used to make at Samos in Mt P. We have recreated it a few times! I add a ton of red pepper flakes and a pinch of cinnamon to ours. It's also yummy served over orzo.

Hannah said...

Natalie,

Looks SO good! Thanks for sharing. If you're looking for great kid friendly health recipes that you can eat too.. www.weelicious.com.. you will fall in love with her!!

Chassity (Look Linger Love) said...

I want to eat that.

Unknown said...

Natalie, I love your blog. Whenever you discuss meals in your household, I laugh, because I have a husband that eats like yours...no wheat, always needs meat. It's always a battle for me to try and fix a healthy meal that we can both enjoy. Thanks for the recipe. Looks delicious. For your flat bread, do you still use the naan bread? I can't get that where I live. I think I need to order it from amazon.

Trish said...

That looks so delish! I love shrimp and had no idea the store would peel and devein for you! Thanks for the tip!!

http://tolivetolaughandlove.blogspot.com/

megan said...

Yum! You know I love anything Greek inspired! :)

Ashley said...

That's one of my all-time favorite food blogs - have been thinking about buying the cookbook forever! Glad to hear it's as awesome as the online version. And that dish looks awesome!

Val said...

Is it bad that I want to eat this for breakfast??? YUM

Portuguese Prepster said...

looks easy and delish!

Sadie + Stella said...

This looks incredible. I'm so sold. I need to get off my ass and cook!!

Peaches Burlap Sack said...

That really sounds good! Thank you for sharing. I am a FETA girl!

Katie G said...

Made this tonight and it was delicious. Can't wait to read this blog, too. Thanks for the recipe and the referral!

Katie G said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ryoma Sakamoto.Japan said...

I am always grateful for the wonderful blog.
Japan is a favorite of the Japanese autumn now.
It is very nice autumn in Kyoto.
I'm full of dazzling foliage.
Please search the Kyoto, Japan on a PC.
I also referred to the fall of appetite.
I'm sorry I was wrong spell.
Ryoma Sakamto.

H.G. The Countess said...

Very similar to a Barefoot Contessa recipe I make often!