Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Sterling's Big Boy Room Reveal

Instead of my normal Obsessions Post today I thought I would switch gears and go ahead and show you Sterling's Big Boy Room.  I have hyped it up so much now you are all probably sick of hearing about it.  I knew I wanted to create a space that was not babyish and had no theme (ugh I hate themed rooms).  I wanted it to be a space he grow into for many years.

I am pretty darn proud of the space and how I transformed it.  I had more fun designing this space than his nursery.  Best part is I really didn't spend too much money on anything.  I worked with alot of pieces we already had and just moved things around in our house.  One thing that is still not complete is the overhead light.  I am saving to get a Sputnik and when I do I will post pictures (so just use your imagination its gonna look fab) but it may be awhile what with the holidays right around the corner, mama needs to be saving for gifts. 

  Photographing a small room is hard as heck.  It was impossible to get good angles, but here we go!


The bed was Matt's grandparents and worked perfect because it was low to the ground. I was originally going to paint it decided I loved all the dark wood for a little boy room and he can totally grow into it and use this furniture for years. The frog was a gift from my mom before Sterling was born and he insists on sleeping with it everynight!


The ottoman was my parents and I just had the top recovered.  It is awesome because the top comes off and I can store toys inside.  Sterling also uses it as kind of a step stool to climb into his bed!


This is the view directly across from Sterling's bed.  His room is super small but the space works perfect for him.


The wood cabinet was a piece that was in our guest room.  I decided to move it because I liked the wood paired with his bed.




I have come to realize that bookcases are impossible to arrange or maybe I just suck at it.  I will never be totally happy with how these look but for now this works.




Sterling is still not potty trained so I decided to leave his changing table in his room for now.  I removed the top pad and just change him on the bed now but I still use the inside for diaper and health care storage. I moved the snakeskin mirror from our foyer because I loved the idea of it in a little boys room.   Eventually I would like a small Campaign dresser for this space or a Lucite desk that he could use as he gets older and has homework.



So there you have it, a masculine yet playful room that hopefully Sterling can grow into for years to come! 

SOURCES:
Paint Color:  Benjamin Moore:  Toasted Walnut
Rug: HomeGoods (Similar Here)
Bed: Antique
Whale Sheets: Pottery Barn Kids (no longer available)
White Coverlet and Shams: Homegoods
Monogrammed Pillow: Monogram done at O'Connor Monogramming
Ottoman: Hand me Down
Abstract Art:  Sally King Benedict
Animal Art Prints:  Estate Sale Score, Frames from Micheals
White Lamp:  Homegoods
3 Sprouts Elephant Storage Bin:  Sugar Snap Pea or Diapers.com
Eames Rocker: Consignment
Love You Pillow: Purchased in Pawleys Island at store called Breathe
Bookcase: My dad made
Changing Table: My dad made
3 Sprouts Seal Diaper Caddy: Sugar Snap Pea or Diapers.com

51 comments:

caycee said...

Awww Nat it looks perfect!!! I love all the sweet special touches :) Well done mama. well done!!!

Pink Lace and Cupcakes said...

So Charming, and a perfect space for him to grow in!

Liz said...

It's gorgeous! Sterling is a lucky boy!

Julia Ryan said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Okay, so love the monogram bedding, the big white lamp, the elephant, the art, the eames rocker, the rug, the wall color, okay enough. The only thing missing is my sweet Sterling! You rocked it mama! xoxox

Pink and Fabulous said...

I love it! This is such a perfect spot for a little guy to grow up in! You have great taste! I think I need to get one of the Three Sprouts toy bins now!

megan said...

It looks awesome! I love all of the animal touches without being too little kid. Does Sterling love it, too??

Laura at Simply Lowcountry said...

Wow! I love it. The bedding is great, and the elephant, I'm obsessed with the rug!! No detail went unnoticed. Beautiful!!

Xo-L
simplylowcountry.blogspot.com

KatiePerk said...

What handsome room for a handsome little man! I really like the bedding and the snakeskin mirror is fab in there. Way to go woman!

Joanna said...

Nice job! I like smaller rooms for children and also the bookcase styling looks perfect to me. I need those owl bookends. Are those skip hop?

Keely said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Keely said...

What a awesome room! All the details you put into it with out over doing it! And your bookcase set up is perfect! Did you do a twin or a full bed for Sterling? Thats where I am stuck with changing over my daughters room. Great Job!

Alex {Things That Sparkle} said...

Absolutely love it, you did a great job!

Kaitlin said...

It looks so great-- good job! And, I personally love a small & cozy room for a child. Sterling is a lucky little guy!

Nickie said...

Super cute. Little boyish not babyish. Well done you!!!

Katie said...

Love it...great job!!! I am slowly turning my sons room into his big boy space...thanks for the inspiration! :)

Courtney said...

It's precious, love it!

blue chickadee said...

You did an amazing job Natalie!!! I love those whale sheets...I just may have to order if they are still available! You have inspired me to actually finish both my boys rooms! And loving that snakeskin mirror in there-how chic!

Glitterista said...

It looks great! Love all of the animals on the bookshelf and Sterling's monogrammed pillow. :)

Natasha said...

the room is ABSOLUTELY perfect!! love all the fun details and you did a great job...the whale sheets are my favorite!

The Daily Stroll said...

Love it! Great job! :)

Baby Shopaholic said...

You did an awesome job with the room! I plan to do P's after the holidays... wanna help : )

Rachael said...

It looks so good! It will totally grow with him. I bet he loves it.

www.slurfeefrenchie.blogspot.com

Holy City Chic | Megan said...

You did a great job! This room looks perfect for him now and will transition with him perfectly for years to come. Love it!

Sadie + Stella said...

How freaking cute is this?!?! The paint color is so fab. A masculine room for the little man. The whale sheets are just to die for!!!

kate said...

So stinkin'cute! Just perfect for a little boy. Especially love all the bedding with the monogrammed pillow:)

Becca | Lowlife Couture said...

IT LOOKS SO GOOD!!

Gaby [The Vault Files] said...

You did amazing, love it!

Unknown said...

SO incredibly cute, I love it! It's a great room for him to grow with.

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

Adorable!! I love the white accents. You did a fantastic job. :-)

Unknown said...

LOVE it!! That's a lucky little boy :)

Natalie said...

It looks fabulous, Natalie! I love all the details and that rocking chair is amazing!

Portuguese Prepster said...

I LOVE it! so classic and timeless! looks gorgeous.

natasha {schue love} said...

The room looks SOO good! Love all the masculine touches and yet it's still young and fun for a little boy! Great job mama!!

pretty little things said...

love the rug and that whale pillow case! xo

http://allthingsprettyandlittle.blogspot.com/

Chimmy said...

Sterling's room let's fantastic! Such a great transition from nursery and a stylish vision that will take him well into his teens!

A guy named Tom makes affordable sputniks... I think there is a link to his store on this sputnik lighting post on Cup of Te blog:

http://cupofte.blogspot.com/2012/10/nyc-apartment-update.html

Be sure to check it out!

Chassity (Look Linger Love) said...

Aw Natalie it looks great. So glad you shared. It'll be great with the light too.

My-cliffnotes said...

His room looks amazing I love it

Unknown said...

It looks absolutely FAB, Natalie!! I bet Sterling just loves his new big boy room, he is one lucky little one!! The whale sheets are adorable and I love all the art...and well everything!! Great job :)

Taylor said...

natalie it looks great! you did such a good job!

http://itsthelittlethingsblog.blogspot.com

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

It turned out absolutely perfect for a little man! Doesn't it just make you fall in love with that room all over again??? I love re-doing rooms! And seriously, shelves are pretty much the bane of my existence. SO difficult to style!

Val said...

Natalie, Sterling's room is so gorgeous and sophisticated. I love all of the attention to detail.

Meg said...

What a great boys room! Nice work!! Love the color, love the safari prints. The whole thing really comes together.

Meg said...

What a great boys room! Nice work!! Love the color, love the safari prints. The whole thing really comes together.

Jill said...

Well done!! My two favorite pieces are the rocker and the animal prints!!

Cannon said...

The room looks amazing! Love the whale sheets and lamp!!!

Laur said...

LOVE it!!! Can you please design my living room?!

Matters of Style said...

Looks great!!!

Cassie {Hi Sugarplum} said...

it is perfect!!! so sweet and masculine, and preppy...love love love it!

Nat said...

Looks great! You did a great job!

Unknown said...

I am loving all the details and colors! Great job Natalie!

Kyle said...

I love Sterling's big boy room. It is cozy and eclectic. Such a perfect mix of colors, patterns and textures. The Land of Nod light fixture you found is amazing! Great work. : )