Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Roasted Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchiladas


If you are like me you may have seen this recipe floating around the blogasphere and thought,  dang I need to make that!  The original recipe comes from Marina's gorgeous blog Yummy Mummy- a must read if you don't already check out her recipes.  Marina makes healthy delicious meals all accompanied by beautiful photographs and she is coming out with a cookbook soon!   I originally saved this recipe from Marina's blog then saw my girl Natasha gave it raving reviews so I knew I needed to try it.  I made a few adaptions to the recipe to make it spicier because we love some flavor in the Mason Household.  I adored this meal, like seriously I am dreaming about leftovers.  Best part is this is such a healthy meal packed with flavor.  The sauce on it is made with Greek Yogurt not sour cream and it is filled with veggies.    Please make this dish you will not be disappointed!!





{Roasted Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchiladas}
Adapted from Yummy Mummy Kitchen ( I denoted my changes in pink)
Serves 4

2 1/2 cups 1/2-inch cubed butternut squash (12-ounces, or about 1 small-medium peeled, seeded squash) - I used the pre diced kind saves so much time and arm strength!

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

1-2 teaspoons chili powder

15 ounces cooked or canned black beans, drained and rinsed

1/4 cup chopped yellow onion

2 jalapenos seeded and diced

Tabasco Green Sauce

1 1/2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, plus more cilantro for garnish

12 ounces jarred or fresh mild green salsa

1/4 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt (such as Chobani)

1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend

Queso Fresco Crumbled

8 corn tortillas (I used Flour Tortillas)

1 large ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced

1 cup low fat sour cream


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place cubed butternut squash on a large baking pan. Drizzle with olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper and Chili Powder. Toss to coat. Roast for 20 minutes or until tender. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, stir together roasted butternut squash, beans, chopped onion, jalapeno, and cilantro. In another medium bowl, stir together salsa and yogurt and several dashes Tabasco green sauce


Pour a thin layer of the salsa sauce over the bottom of 10" x 7" casserole dish. The 10x7-inch dish is perfect for corn tortillas, but an 8-inch square baking dish would work as well. Place 1/3 cup of the squash and bean mixture into each tortilla. Top with 1 tablespoon of cheese and roll up. Place seam-side-down in the baking dish. Continue until all the squash mixture is used up. Pour the remaining salsa sauce over the top of enchiladas. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake at 350 degrees until cheese has melted and starting to brown in places, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and serve with sour cream and avocado.

14 comments:

Julia Ryan said...

going to try this tonight! I just bought a butternut squash for the first time and I had no clue what I was going to do with it, other than mash it up for Tagg. This looks awesome!

Alex {Things That Sparkle} said...

YUMMMMM@

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

That sounds so yummy!!

Unknown said...

Sounds amazing! This is on my radar for next wk!

http://incrediblelifeofawife.blogspot.com/

Alicia xoxxo said...

That looks amazing! I am def going to try this. And Sterlling's big boy room is fabulous! Great job momma!

Hannah said...

I've got this pinned to make. It looks yummy and I will be making it for sure now that I've seen it again. Love Sterling's big boy room!

Tara {The Silver Lining} said...

I've seen similar recipes to this pop up in different places a few times now...and I've got to make them!! They look so good. I'll definitely be trying out your recipe.

natasha {schue love} said...

Yum!! So glad you made them! They're seriously my favorite...ever!

Andrea Johnson said...

That looks delish! Making this for sure!

Lobster Meets Peach said...

Looks so yummy! I will have to add that to our menu for next week.

Unknown said...

I am trying this recipe this weekend! Sounds so delicious!

Unknown said...

Yay looks awesome! Thanks for linking to me :) Happy Weekend!

BigIndianWedding said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BigIndianWedding said...

Amazing nice blog... thanks for sharing such a nice blog.

Indian Wedding