Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Baked Crab and Artichoke Dip


Random confession but I have never made a crab dip before.  Not sure why because I love crab dip but never have!  Our friends had us over for dinner Sunday night and I knew it was the perfect time to try out a crab dip recipe.  Matt and I scoured the internet trying to find the best one and this one fit the bill.  It was so easy to whip together and delish! The crab and artichoke pair perfectly together and it is filled with lots of cheese.  So darn good- but not for your waist line:)
It is super important to buy good crab meat.  I bought the lump kind in a can you can get near the fresh seafood.  Costs a little more but so worth it flavor and texture wise.
We served our dip with Pretzel Thins and Bagel Crisps.   Enjoy but be forewarned its is hard to stop eating this dip, it melts in your mouth!


**The original recipe called for pico de gallo to be sprinkled over the top but we were lazy and left that part out but I included it on the directions in case you guys want to try it.  I don't think it needs it but it could be good with it.**

BAKED CRAB AND ARTICHOKE DIP 
(adapted from Confections of a Food Bride)
Ingredients:
  • For the crab dip:
  • 8 oz cream cheese (I use reduced-fat)
  • 1/2 cup mayo (I use light)
  • 1/2 cup fat-free greek yogurt (I used 0% Fage)
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 bunch green onions, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese, divided (I regularly split with Fontina, can also sub Monterrey jack or Mozzarella)
  • 14 oz can of quartered artichoke hearts, drained
  • 8-12 oz jumbo lump crab meat
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • For the pico de gallo:
  • 2 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped red onion
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
  • 1 handful cilantro, chopped
  • 1/4 cup green onion tops, chopped
  • Squeeze of lime juice
  • Salt
Instructions:
  1. Beat the cream cheese, mayo, and yogurt together until smooth.
  2. Add the white and light parts of the green onions (dark green parts will be used for the pico), lemon juice, and 1 1/4 cup grated cheese.
  3. Fold in artichokes and crab.
  4. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  5. Transfer to a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish and spread evenly, sprinkling the remaining cheese on top..
  6. Bake for ~20 minutes, until bubbly and golden brown.
  7. To make the pico, toss all ingredients together and set aside until ready to serve.
  8. Remove the dip from the oven, top with pico, and serve with blue corn tortilla chips, crackers, or toasted crostini.
  9. Best when hot or very warm, leftovers will keep a couple of days. Can be assembled ahead of time and then baked at the last minute.

17 comments:

Julia Ryan said...

YUUUUUUUM! This is one of my favorite recipes! Just smother it on some triscuits and I'm in heaven!

Melissa W. said...

Yum!!!!!!! Must try ASAP!!

Sadie + Stella said...

Pardon my language but holy shit this looks good. OMG!

Katie said...

This looks pretty much amazing. My husband would love this! Thanks for sharing.

megan said...

Sounds SO good!

pretty little things said...

this looks perfect -- I might try serving this at my superbowl party! xo

http://allthingsprettyandlittle.blogspot.com/

My Life as A Plate said...

I love crabdip too, but have never made it! I cannot wait to try this recipe. Great find!

Christine said...

omg this sounds incredible!!!! bookmarked to make this sometime very soon! Thanks girl!

Natalie said...

YES I've been waiting for this recipe ever since you Instagrammed it. Can't wait to try!

Andrea said...

YUM!! I am going to make this very soon....and just might end of eating the whole thing!!

Anonymous said...

What? OMG YUUUUM!!!!!!

Val said...

I'm drooling!!! Girl, this would be great for my football party!!

Day Old News said...

I too love crab dip, but have never made it. Glad yours was a success so I can steal the recipe! ;)

Bambino by the Bay said...

OMG- this looks so good- I wish I could have some right now!!

Unknown said...

This sounds absolutely DELISH!!! I love a good crap dip, can't wait to try this!!

Anonymous said...

Love your closet! I love crab dip! Hate that I missed the DVF and I have that same TBags print in the dress. : )
www.walkinginmemphisinhighheels.com

Allison said...

Oh my goodness...this sounds so yummy! We are having friends over for dinner next weekend. I can't wait to make this. Thanks for sharing your recipe!