Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Shrimp Sandwiches with Jalapeno Coleslaw.


This was my Birthday Dinner from last week.  Matt and I were inspired by the new cover of Bon Appetit to create a kick ass sandwich.  This one did not disappoint.


 The original recipe called for fried chicken which I am sure is amazing but we were in a seafood mood so we used Shrimp instead. The spicy mayo and jalapeno coleslaw paired perfectly with the shrimp.  I ate my whole sandwich in minutes it was that good.  The coleslaw is better as it sits and soaks in the juices.  I used a mandolin to get the cabbage, onion, and jalapeno sliced super thinly.


My mouth is watering just thinking about this spicy goodness. 
Enjoy!


:: S H R I M P   S A N D W I C H E S  W I T H   J A L A P E N O    C O L E S L A W::

Ingredients 
  • 1 lb Shrimp peeled and devined
  • Whole Wheat Buns (or any buns you prefer)
Spicy Mayo and Slaw
  • 1 garlic clove, finely grated
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon Louisiana-style hot pepper sauce
  • 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
  • 4 cups thinly sliced cabbage
  • 1/2 cup Bread-and-Butter Pickle slices, plus 1/4 cup pickle juice
Directions
Marinate Shrimp in Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper and a few dashes of Siricha.  
 Mix garlic, mayonnaise, and hot pepper sauce in a small bowl; cover and chill. 
Toss onion, jalapeño, cabbage, pickles, and pickle juice in a large bowl to combine; cover and chill. 
Heat a medium- large skillet with Olive or Vegetable Oil.  Cook Shrimps until Pink about 5-6 minutes.  Toast Buns in oven (we added a touch of butter to our buns before toasting to make them crisp up nicely).  Spread bun with spicy mayo, layer on shrimp and jalapeno coleslaw.
 

15 comments:

Jennifer@The Chronicles of Home said...

Oh yum...excited to start having some delicious spring sandwiches!

Sadie + Stella said...

Ummmmm yum and I see some okra in here. My fave!!!!

E Hayes said...

mmm, this is so up our alley! jalepano mayo and coleslaw... drooling!

Julia Ryan said...

Shrimp, sandwhich, and jalapeno? Yup, pretty sure Matt would be obsessed with this!

Lauren said...

Girl, I cannot WAIT to make this! :)

Chassity (Look Linger Love) said...

That looks ah-ma-zing.

Alicia xoxxo said...

Ohhh yumm! This is my kind of sammy! I will def be making this. Along with your strawberry cupcakes!

KatiePerk said...

I love a good sandwich. That slaw would be good with just about anything!!

Portuguese Prepster said...

sounds heavenly

Chelsea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chelsea said...

Yummo!! Cant wait to try it!

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

YUMMY. I always eat cole slaw on pulled pork, and in fish tacos. I love it! I need to try this version.

Natalie said...

YUM! Such a good idea to sub shrimp. Adding this to my meal plan for next week!

Esme said...

How do you make your okra??? Looks so good! Thanks for sharing'

Unknown said...

Looks so yummy! We actually tried the fried chicken {my husband made this} and it was really the best chicken sandwich I have ever had. And we also used the brine recipe that's online to brine the chicken. It was delicious! And surprisingly the coleslaw was too!