Monday, December 9, 2013

Gratitude


Gratitude. Something I have thought about alot lately. I am not going to lie these first two weeks with two kids has been hard.  Harder than I ever thought it would be. It is hard as crap juggling two kids who need you around the clock.  There is zero time for mom these days and I relish some "me' time.  I am beyond exhausted and an emotional mess.  I called my mom the other day to vent and tell her everything I was worrying about, because isn't that what we do as Mothers, worry?  

As soon as we give birth we start to worry about anything and everything.  I worry that Sterling is not getting enough attention, I worry because Frances failed her hearing test in the hospital, I worry that she is not eating enough, I worry that I am not being a good enough mother and wife,  etc it never ends.  After our conversation my mom reminded to use my Gratitude beads.  She brought me these before I had Frances and honestly I had forgotten about them with all the hustle and bustle of this time of year and then having a baby on top of that.  The beads sat unused beside my bed.  I decided mom was right, it was time to change my outlook and put those beads to use.



I love the idea of the gratitude beads and since talking with my mom I have been using them everyday.  I always let Sterling help me,  each day we make a point to sit and say what we are thankful for and pull a bead (or several) aside.  It is a nice reminder especially during this time of the year to be thankful.  As overwhelmed as I feel, I am so lucky, I really do have such a blessed life.  There are so many people fighting way bigger battles out there.  I can't help that I am a worrier by nature (although my dad claims I can change this) but I can change my outlook on things and choose to look at the positive side and be grateful.  I read a great verse in my Jesus Calling the other day about starting your day thanking God, such a good reminder.  Often we pray for help and things we want but sometimes it nice to just stop and Thank God for what we have.

A few things I am grateful these days.

These two kids bring me more joy than I ever thought possible.  Grateful.


Even though these last two weeks Matt and I have been at each others throats (I blame the lack of sleep) I am grateful for him.  We have been together for 12 years and he is my best friend.  We had our first night out this weekend post baby and it was lovely. Grateful.


I am so lucky to have such wonderful friends in my life here in Charleston. Can you believe when I moved here I knew one person?  Thankful for one of my best friends,  Caycee- we celebrated her birthday Friday night.  She is the kind of friend you want in your life trust me.  Grateful.


My sweet baby has started smiling and it is the best thing ever.  Grateful.


 Friends and Family that have brought us meals.  Such a nice treat post baby.  This weekend my sister in law brought us food from Mex One, along with a huge bag of diapers.  Grateful.

In case you are curious what Sterling is grateful for his list is:  Santa, Mermaids, Princesses, and toys. Go figure.

One of my mom's dear friends makes and sells these prayer/gratitude beads.  They are such a wonderful gift for someone.  A new mom, a teacher, someone going thru a rough time, a fab stocking stuffer.   Anyone can benefit from these gratitude beads.   She will hand make them in any color you want.  They came in a cute bag with a card describing the beads and how they work.  I love the idea of gifting these to friends and family.  I am thinking of doing these as end of the year gifts for Sterling's teachers.  I love the idea too of bringing these to new moms post baby.   Such a wonderful idea for anyone to be thankful.

I have the copper beads and adore them.

 
You can email Kathy below to see her catalog of beads and place an order.  She really is so talented the beads are gorgeous.  Prices range from $18.50- $125 depending on the materials used.  The copper beads like I have are $18.50.  There are so many different possibilities.  I plan to stock up and have a few on hand for Birthdays and gifts.


Happy Monday!  Lets all have a little gratitude today.


33 comments:

Annie {flourishinfertility.com} said...

Love this post, Natalie! It's a perfect reminder this time of year. Hang in there and know that the sleepless nights, and chaos will all pass soon- and you will probably miss it. I am a worrier as well, and I think I need to order these gratitude beads in bulk. xo

Melissa W. said...

Both twins failed the hearing test in the hospital! They are FINE! Do not worry Nat!

You are a great mom and the chaos (super, duper lack of sleep) will soon pass! Hugs to you!

caycee said...

I love you so much Natalie! I am so grateful that I have you and your precious family in my life.(don't know what I would do without you). You inspire me everyday as a mom, wife, friend and just the beautiful person you are.

Ally Harding said...

This is such a great post Natalie! I know personally I catch myself often focusing on the negative in my life rather than being thankful for all I have. This is something I know I need to work on. I love the grateful beads idea!

Nickie said...

I always said I wasn't a worrier...than I had a child! The moment they placed her in my arms for the first time, I felt such joy but at the same time I could literally feel the weight of the world on my shoulders. You are an amazing mom and your 2 little kids are so blessed to have you. Hang in there!
Thanks for the post on the beads. I want to order some for gifts!

Rebecca said...

I am grateful for your honesty! I am expecting my second baby in April (my first will be 23 months old) and know that it will be a huge change. I love your blog and how you tell it like like it is!

Amanda Elizabeth - Meet @ the Barre said...

What an amazing and honest post. I don't think people realize how much women take on especially with children! I love the idea of the gratitude beads and that you use them for time with your son. You have a beautiful family!
Meet @ the Barre

Headlines from 49th Drive said...

Hi Natalie, thank you for this post! I had my son the same day you had your daughter. Juggling a 2 week old and 2 year old is rest in my patience but I'm trying to cherish as I know this is my last time with a newborn. It's great to know I'm not alone in my struggle!!

Alexa said...

What a lovely idea. You're right there is so much to be thankful for. And two kids DOES get easier. I remember where you are now. It was only four and a half months ago for me and I was a disaster. BUT, you'll get the hang of things. It's still tough and there's not a whole lot of time for me anymore at all, but so much better once you get into a routine/rhythm. :)

Unknown said...

So so true...sometimes with everything we have going on it's hard to remember how much we actually do have to be grateful for! Sending you lots of love! XoXo

Delta Daisies said...

I love that idea! I need grateful beads.

Alicia xoxxo said...

I love this post. I always love the posts best that you write about your thoughts, feelings, etc.... I cant imagine how tired you are with 2 little ones. When ever I get overwhelmed, I stop take a deep breath, and say to myself this too shall pass. I am positive you are a great mommy, and wife. I love the idea of these beads and want to order several of them. Hang in there Natalie!

Emily {Luscious Life & Decor} said...

I love this post. Thank you for sharing. Brought tears to my eyes. The transition to two is hard for everyone involved. In time it will be more manageable. Thinking of you!

Paula Jean | PJM Interiors said...

Beautiful post Natalie! So much to be grateful for!

Regan said...

Wonderful post! You are an inspiration and your kids are just the cutest! Hang in there, it will all be smooth sailing soon!

Katie {Miss Dixie} said...

One of my favorite posts you've written! I love the idea of gratitude beads. Thank you for sharing.

Holy City Chic | Megan said...

What a sweet, sweet post! Great reminder to always find the positive.

17 Perth said...

I absolutely love this. And you are absolutely right. What a sweet gift your mom gave you--and love what it represents.

Portuguese Prepster said...

Love the idea of gratitude beads! As a Catholic I grew up praying the rosary which has a similar concept of giving space between each bead for contemplation. Being grateful is something I need a reminder of during the Holidays!

Jordin- I Love That! said...

Yes thank you for being honest! It is so hard!! My baby is now 2 months and it is getting a little easier (he is starting to get on some what of a schedule). That helps a lot! I love the idea of gratitude beads. We all need a little reminder:)

Ashley said...

I feel like I could have written this post! Six months in, with two I can tell you this: it will get easier. You just need to hit your stride. Give yourself a little time. Some sleep will help, too. Hang in there!!!

Plum Pretty Sugar said...

Such a beautiful and sincere post. Thank you for sharing such a treat.

xo

www.PlumPrettySugar.blogspot.com

Lisa said...

Awe, great post and so true! Every day no matter what I try to remember 2 things: to be thankful and to trust God-- it has seriously gotten me through everything. And those beads are awesome, what a perfect gift! xoxo

Fhinz2 said...

My baby failed the hearing test in both ears and we had to go back for several visits and she kept failing.... I was literally crying daily. Turned out at 3 months when she was still wiling they out tubes in her ears to clear fluid and she is perfectly fine! Tubes fells out and at 21 months she can hear perfectly!!!

And yes.... Two is a is whole new ball game!

Fhinz2 said...

Oh auto correct... Meant at 3 months she was still failing the test and they put tubes in.... Guess this mommy needs more sleep (or wine)

Sadie + Stella said...

Your baby is beautiful and so is your family! So glad you and Matt got a night out. You deserve it!!

Jill said...

I could use some of those gratitude beads!! Hang in there, it will get easier I promise!!

Unknown said...

Love this post, Natalie! What a great reminder to be grateful for all that we have instead of focusing on what we don't. You are doing a great job!!! xxoo

Val said...

This post warmed my heart!!!!

Unknown said...

This is something I know I need to work on. I love the grateful beads idea!

Regards,
Diaper Bags

Gaby [The Vault Files] said...

I really love seeing that there are people out there who are grateful for what they have because as you said, there are so many people out there fighting battles, really bad ones, and we truly are blessed for the life we are living. Big hugs Natalie ;)

Unknown said...

We started a tradition at dinner of saying what we are thankful for. It's such a good habit to get into. And helps you find the positive in even the worst of days...and speaking of that your days will get easier! Before you know it, Frances and Sterling will be chasing each other around your house playing hide and go seek :) time with the 2nd flies by...

A Manolescu said...

Beautiful and much appreciated post, Natalie...I have started keeping a gratitude journal regularly (finally), and as silly and unhelpful as I thought it might be initially, it really opens your eyes to how great life is and how blessed I am!

Wishing you lots of sleep and a relaxed, happy holiday season!

Alissa