Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Kale + Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad


So we ended up hosting Thanksgiving this year the day after I got home from the hospital. Crazy, right?  I was all good until about 9:00pm when I had a full on breakdown and started crying- these pregnancy hormones ain't no joke!  It is overwhelming being a new mom.  I was promptly sent to bed to rest.   Before my meltdown I managed to make my favorite salad for our dinner. Truth be told I am not a huge fan of Thanksgiving food, so I always make this salad every year because I know I will love it- Matt he won't touch it but that just means more leftovers for me!  It is such a light and fresh salad and is even better the next day as it sits.  Toasting the almonds in oil really adds extra flavor and crunch to the salad and I always add extra cheese!  I use our mandolin slice the Brussels sprouts really thinly but you could totally use a knife if you don't have a mandolin!
Enjoy!

:: K A L E  +  B R U S S E L S   S P R O U T S   S A L A D ::
adapted from Bon Appetit
                                                            

INGREDIENTS

  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon minced shallot
  • 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for seasoning
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 large bunches of Tuscan kale (about 1 1/2 lb. total), center stem discarded, leaves thinly sliced
  • 12 ounces brussels sprouts, trimmed, finely grated or shredded with a knife
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 1/3 cup almonds with skins, coarsely chopped
  • 1 cup finely grated Pecorino
Combine lemon juice, Dijon mustard, shallot, garlic, 1/2 tsp. salt, and a pinch of pepper in a small bowl. Stir to blend; set aside to let flavors meld. Mix thinly sliced kale and shredded brussels sprouts in a large bowl.


  • Measure 1/2 cup oil into a cup. Spoon 1 Tbsp. oil from cup into a small skillet; heat oil over medium-high heat. Add almonds to skillet and stir frequently until golden brown in spots, about 2 minutes. Transfer nuts to a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle almonds lightly with salt.
  • Slowly whisk remaining olive oil in cup into lemon-juice mixture. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
  • DO AHEAD: Dressing, kale mixture, and toasted almonds can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Cover dressing and kale mixture separately and chill. Cover almonds and let stand at room temperature.
  • Add dressing and cheese to kale mixture; toss to coat. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Garnish with almonds.

  • 17 comments:

    Melissa W. said...

    Right there with you on the full breakdown crying. I never, ever in my wildest dreams thought I would CRY after having babies! What a blessing they are and to cry! Our bodies are crazy hormones afterwards! We have no control over our emotions, which is the hardest part (was for me). I was so bad I had to be put on meds. I wanted to give the twins up for adoption! {schreech!} I knew in my heart it was not normal to feel that way, but I did! Scared the shit out of me to feel that way. Hang in there. It gets better every day. You are prob better today just from writing about it :). Frances is beautiful and Sterling is such a sweet boy. Cheers to a happy new year!

    Lindsay, XO Lindsay said...

    Is it awful that I laughed out loud when you said you broke down crying? You're so funny! I've never been pregnant, but that's something I'd totally do during my 1 dramatic week of the month. My man wouldn't send me to bed, though. He'd probably shake me and tell me to get my shiz together. Oh, and that salad looks delish. If I eat what you post on here, I'd be so skinny!

    pretty little things said...

    mmmm this looks healthy with just the right amount of parm cheese to make it really tasty too! thanks for sharing this! : )

    http://allthingsprettyandlittle.blogspot.com/

    Ally Harding said...

    This salad looks so yummy! I know how I am around my period I can only imagine how hormonal I'm going to be once I get pregnant!

    Keely said...

    Salad looks delish! Hang in there girl, I have a 5mth old and 3yr old and it does get better! We're in a pretty good routine now. Try and keep taking time for yourself each day for some vino and step away when things get crazy to regroup.

    Alicia xoxxo said...

    Hormones are the worst right after giving birth. I am glad someone sent you to bed. You prob needed the rest. I hope you are still taking it easy and enjoying that sweet beautiful baby girl. The salad looks yummy. Def going to make it!

    Jessie said...

    I'm not pregnant and I have no kids but I feel like if I had to host Thanksgiving I might cry. Hormones or not :) This salad look great I cannot wait to try it.

    Unknown said...

    That's amazing that you made it to 9pm...I would've had a break down WAY before then! haha On the other hand, this salad looks amazing!

    My Life as A Plate said...

    That is crazy you hosted!! Very impressive!! This recipe combines two of my favorite things Brussels and kale YUM!!

    natasha {schue love} said...

    MMM I love brussel sprout salad and this looks even better with the kale! Yum! Must try soon!

    Delta Daisies said...

    Will have to try this! Thanks!

    Ashley said...

    You probably know this, but I always buy the bag of shaves brussel sprouts from TJs. Saves major time!

    Ashley said...

    You probably know this, but I always buy the bag of shaves brussel sprouts from TJs. Saves major time!

    Laura said...

    So funny I just made this salad last week. It is so good! I used the bag of shaved Brussels sprouts from tj's which was so easy and I used the tj's Marcona almonds instead of the almonds suggested in the recipe....they made it so delicious!

    smash said...

    Wow! Breakdown or not, I am incredibly impressed you hosted Thanksgiving after giving birth! You go girl! This salad looks absolutely delicious. I'm definitely pinning it and trying it soon. Congrats on the new baby! xx

    Michelle @ Ten June said...

    Wait, not only are you wrangling a newborn and her brother, but you're hosting parties, cooking and staying on top of blogging? You legit win "woman of the year" in my book! You go, momma!

    Val said...

    Hello Deliciousness - my name is written all over this one.