Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Barbacoa Beef || Tacos + Nachos


If you follow me on instagram (snoopnattynat) you saw me post this beef on Friday and Saturday night.  We ate it both nights,  it was insanely good and easy!!  I can't take credit for this recipe, I lucked out and found it on Pinterest but it is a real winner.  Trust me we will be making this beef often.  The hardest thing you have to do is chop an onion and then you just throw it all in the crockpot and it does the work for you!  I bought a whole chuck roast and trimmed it myself but you can buy the meat already cubed if you prefer.  I like to leave some fat on it for extra flavor.  If you don't have a Crock Pot, I highly recommend this one.  We got it as a wedding gift 7 years ago and still use it often, I swear it is the best Crock Pot.

The first night we made tacos with the beef.  I made them true authentic Mexican style on corn shells, with diced onion and cilantro. Simple but full of flavor.  We also added a drizzle of salsa verde and shredded Monterrey jack.  They were just perfect.


Saturday night we decided to use the leftover beef and make nachos.  The nachos were out of this world good.  We baked the chips with shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese for about 10 mins to crisp them up.  Then we layered on the beef, onions, and jalapenos and cooked another 5-10 mins.  Sprinkle with cilantro, salsa and sour cream and enjoy!



|| B A R B A C O A  B E E F ||
Recipe via Gimmie Some Oven


Ingredients:

  • 3 lbs chuck roast (fat trimmed), cut into 2-inch chunks
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 chiptoles in adobo sauce, chopped (or more to taste)
  • 1 small white onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
  • 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 Tablespoon dried Mexican oregano (or regular oregano)
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves ( I left this out because I didn't have any cloves)
  • 1/2 cup beef broth or water

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a slow cooker. Toss gently to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours, or until the beef is tender and falls apart easily when shredded with a fork.
Using two forks, shred the beef into bite-sized pieces inside of the slow cooker. Toss the beef with the juices, then cover and let the barbacoa beef soak up the juices for an extra 10 minutes. Remove cover and use a pair of tongs or a slotted spoon to serve the barbacoa beef.
If not using immediately, refrigerate the barbacoa beef with its juices in a sealed container for up to 5 days. Or freeze it for up to 3 months.







11 comments:

East Coast Chic {Natalie} said...

I don't eat beef but I know my husband will love these and crock pot makes it even easier!

josehilary said...

Sounds yummy! Will be trying these. Thanks for sharing.

Portuguese Prepster said...

Yum this looks delicious!

Unknown said...

Yummm....my husband would definitely love these!

Lindsay, XO Lindsay said...

Making this tonight! Anything I can throw into a crockpot and do nothing to, I'm down!

Unknown said...

yummmm! it's official i need to get a crockpot. we got rid of our old one bc it was supercharged and burnt everything. xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Unknown said...

Yum! Did you use beef broth or water?

Emily Satzger said...

You always have the best recipes that are always a huge hit in our household, can't wait to make this one!

Emily from F Is For Blog

Kyle said...

Looks like a winner. Will be making! Thanks for the inspiration.

Unknown said...

This looks so good. Is there any way that you could make your posts "pin-able"? I would love to be able to save them on Pinterest.

Jenny @ jennycollier.com said...

Can't wait to try this! Have loved every single recipe I've tried of yours!

When is your cookbook coming out? ;)