Thursday, November 12, 2015

The Best Broccolini Recipe + Other Ideas for Thanksgiving Side Dishes


I love a good veggie side dish.  I could take or leave the Turkey at Thanksgiving but the sides are what I am all about. Each year I like to add a couple new side dishes to our Thanksgiving Dinner.  I made this Broccolini a few weeks ago and it would be the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving dinner.  Best part is the kids loved it.  Sterling helped me make the cheese sauce and I think anytime the kids actually can help you cook they are more likely to eat the food.  You could easily make this the day ahead and reheat.  It saved well as we ate it again the next night.
Enjoy!

B R O C C O L I N I  W I T H  C H E E S E  S A U C E

Ingredients
2 pounds broccolini
2 1/2 cups water
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded Provolone cheese  

Instructions
1. Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat broiler.  

2. Trim the bottom inch off of the broccolini. Bring a medium pot of water to boil over high heat. Add the broccolini to the pot, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until nearly tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer the broccolini to a paper towel-lined baking dish and set aside. Reserve 1 cup of the broccolini water and drain the rest. 

3. In the same pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly until golden, about 1 minute. Whisk in the broccolini water and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and, whisk in 1/2 cup Parmesan and the Provolone until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.  

4. Transfer the broccolini to a baking dish and drizzle sauce over the center of the stalks. Top with the remaining Parmesan. Transfer the baking dish into the oven and broil until cheese is golden and broccolini is tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Serve immediately. 

...................................................................................
I also wanted to share a few tried and true favorite side dishes we have made in the past.   I highly recommend any of these for the big T Day.  If you have any favorite side dishes please do share as I am still planning out my menu for this year!



























Lastly if you need an appetizer idea I made this cheese ball last year and it was huge hit.  Not only beautiful and festive to look at but seriously delicious.







7 comments:

Aspiring mindfulness said...

All of these look amazing! Thanks for sharing.

Emily {Luscious Life & Decor} said...

These all look delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Meg said...

Thanks! I am with you on sides.

FYI Cooking Light had a great leftover tip : mini peppers stuffed with dressing/stuffing.

Mmmmmm.

Kimm said...

That corn casserole and loaded baked potatoe casserole look delicious. Thanks for sharing

Sarah said...

These sides are making me hungry just looking at them. Luckily I have broccoli cheese soup in the fridge for lunch :)

the style hostess said...

I made that cheese ball for Christmas last year and it was a huge hit here! I'll definitely be making it again!

Sarah said...

Just made the cheese ball and baked potato casserole for a party tomorrow! Thanks for posting!