Thursday, December 2, 2010

Snowy, Flaky Goodness


I have a confession, I subscribe to Southern Living. The magazine I ridiculed my mom for years for reading, I now get in the mail. And I'm not gonna lie I actually like it. They have amazing recipes in every issue, which is the main reason I subscribe. Their December issue is always the best. I think I dog-eared a recipe on like every page this year. If you snubbed this magazine before, I highly suggest you check it out.

This recipe is from the current December 2010 issue. We made these for my brother-in-law's birthday last weekend. We did them instead of cake and it was so nice because everyone each got their own little tart! I think they would make the perfect dessert for a holiday party. The white sprinkles of coconut look like snow to give a festive feel! If you like coconut you will love these. They are as tasty as they look!






My sister showing off the treats for her hubby!


COCONUT CREAM TARTS

-1/4 SUGAR
-1/3 CUP ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
-4 LARGE EGGS
-2 CUPS MILK
-1-2 CUPS SWEETENED FLAKED COCONUT
-1 TBLS VANILLA EXTRACT
-WHIPPED CREAM
-1 PACKAGE FROZEN TART SHELLS

WHISK TOGETHER 1/4 CUP SUGAR, 1/3 CUP ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR, 4 LARGE EGGS, AND 2 CUPS MILK IN A HEAVY SAUCEPAN. COOK OVER MEDIUM HEAT, WHISKING CONSTANTLY, 10 MINUTES OR UNTIL A CHILLED PUDDING-LIKE THICKNESS. REMOVE FROM HEAT AND STIR IN 1 CUP SWEETENED FLAKED COCONUT AND 1 TBSP VANILLA EXTRACT. COVER AND CHILL 6-24 HOURS.

BAKE 1 8OZ PACKAGE FROZEN TART SHELLS ACCORDING TO PACKAGE DIRECTIONS AND LET COOL SPOON CUSTARD INTO THE PIE SHELLS. DOLLOP WITH SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM, SPRINKLE WITH ADDITIONAL COCONUT.

MAKES 8 TARTS

PRINT RECIPE HERE

8 comments:

Jill said...

I must admit I subscribe to that magazine, but I also subscribe to us weekly and Lucky, but anyway I think southern living has the best recipes

Alicia xoxxo said...

I subscribe too! I love it! I haven't received the December issue yet....huh? Anyway, this recipe looks amazing! I love coconut! I am sure they were a huge hit!

caycee said...

Those look awesome girly! I will have to subscribe :)

Christina said...

those are precious!

Unknown said...

that does indeed look like snowy flaky goodness xxxx

Michele said...

you had me at Coconut!

Virginia Belle said...

I love Southern Living but never thought I would growing up! My mom and both of my grandmas were avid SL readers and I just did not get it. But now I anxiously await each month's magazine. The tarts look amazing!

Tiffany from HOLIDAY said...

I have a soft spot for SL, too. And these tarts look so yummy - just printed the recipe out; thank you!!! xo