Thursday, February 24, 2011

Sneaky Potatoes

I confess I have never made twice baked potatoes before. This was my first attempt and I must say they turned out quite scrumptious. This was my sneaky way of getting the men in my life to eat more veggies. I thought if I mixed the veggies in with potatoes and cheese they would eat them- and I was right, my disguise worked. They both scarfed down spinach, mushrooms and potatoes- score! In order to get Matt to consider this a real meal, I added a few slices of bacon to the top. He doesn't consider things a meal unless meat is involved. The bacon is totally optional but it does add a nice salty flavor to the potatoes. These potatoes were so decadent and tasty! The veggies meshed perfectly with the creamy potatoes. I totally just made this recipe up with things I had on hand so feel free to adjust to your liking. You can add more or less of anything.







TWICE BAKED POTATOES WITH VEGGIES
-2-4 RUSSET POTATOES
-SOUR CREAM
-MILK
-SHREDDED CHEDDAR CHEESE
-FRESH SPINACH
-ONION DICED
-MUSHROOMS SLICED
-SLICED PRE-COOKED BACON

WRAP THE POTATOES IN FOIL AND POKE HOLES THRU WITH A FORK TO HELP VENTILATE. BAKE AT 350 DEGREES FOR ABOUT AN HOUR. LET POTATOES COOL. CUT IN HALF AND SCOOP OUT THE MIDDLE.

MEANWHILE ADD A SMALL AMOUNT OF OLIVE OIL TO PAN AND SAUTE ONION AND MUSHROOMS. ONCE THE ONION HAS BROWNED SLIGHTLY ADD IN THE SPINACH. COOK UNTIL JUST WILTED.

MIX THE INSIDES OF THE POTATOES WITH A FEW SPOONFULS OF SOUR CREAM, A FEW SPLASHES OF MILK AND CHEESE. BLEND UNTIL CREAMY LIKE MASHED POTATOES. ADD SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE. LASTLY MIX IN THE SAUTEED VEGGIES.

SCOOP THIS MIXTURE INTO THE HOLLOWED SHELLS. PLACE TWO SLICES OF BACON OVER EACH POTATO HALF. BAKE ABOUT 20 MINUTES. PULL OUT AND SPRINKLE TOPS WITH CHEESE AND BAKE ANOTHER 5 MINUTES UNTIL CHEESE MELTS.
BON APPETIT!

16 comments:

Jill said...

well anything with bacon in it is all right with me:)

Chassity (Look Linger Love) said...

Brilliant! And now i'm hungry!

KatiePerk said...

Yum! I have never made twice baked either! My Matt is the same with the meat thing. I tried to cook Meatless Mondays. He did not support that at all....

Alicia xoxxo said...

Ohhhh yummy!!! Now I am hungry! This looks so good!!! I will eat anything that has cheese!

Lauren Caldwell said...

YUM! I want those for breakfast! :)

Lauren @ tickled.

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

You had me at the bacon...yummy yum!(c:

Christina said...

i've never made twice-baked potatoes either. these look good! how can anything be bad with melted cheese and bacon!?

Balancing Lisa said...

Brilliant! Love this! using this one for sure! My boys hate their veggies and I'm sick of sneaking avocados and spinach into their fruit shakes! ;)

http://stilettosanddiaperbags.blogspot.com/

Ashley said...

Um yum!

Bri said...

those look so good! And my husband would side with matt on the not a meal without meat rule :)
Love your recipe posts!

Mel G said...

Love this! I am going to make them tonight

Mz E said...

*drool* ok, theez look SO GOOD!! I am anxious to make them NOW!!*calm down* Thanks for sharing! *smile* I gave you some love on ma blog. I wanted to Award you with a Stylish & Versatile Blogger award! *smile* You rock ma!

Michaela said...

OH my gosh. YUM. These are my favorite. They don't seem too hard, either! Thanks girl!

Michaela said...

PS. LOVE not having comment verification (: it worked!

shumei said...

Delicious, And now i'm hungry! discount designer purses Regards

Val said...

Mercy, Mercy me. I love me a twice bakes potato. My mouth is watering.