Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Tomato and Goat Cheese Tarts


Ever since I saw this recipe in my Barefoot Contessa Cookbook (Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics), I have dying to make it. Puff Pastry, Goat Cheese, Fresh Herbs and Tomatoes, yes please! This recipe is amazing!! I can't say enough good things about it. I think it would be the perfect appetizer for a party or a great main dish with a salad. The recipe calls for 4 large tarts, I ended up making two large and four small tarts with just one sheet of puff pastry, so you can adjust to your liking. For the small tarts I used a 3 and 3/4 inch biscuit cutter and for the large ones I used one of my cereal bowls to cut the pastry. I am not going to lie I ate 4 tarts in one sitting they are that good! Enjoy!





TOMATO AND GOAT CHEESE TARTS
INGREDIENTS
1 package (17.3 ounces/2 sheets) puff pastry, defrosted
Good olive oil
4 cups thinly sliced yellow onions (2 large onions)
3 large garlic cloves, cut into thin slivers
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons dry white wine
2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves
4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan, plus 2 ounces shaved with a vegetable peeler
4 ounces garlic-and-herb goat cheese (recommended: Montrachet)
1 large tomato, cut into 4 (1/4-inch-thick) slices
3 tablespoons julienned basil leaves

DIRECTIONS
Unfold a sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface and roll it lightly to an 11 by 11-inch square. Using a 6-inch wide saucer or other round object as a guide, cut 2 circles from the sheet of puff pastry, discarding the scraps. Repeat with the second pastry sheet to make 4 circles in all. Place the pastry circles on 2 sheet pans lined with parchment paper and refrigerate until ready to use.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium to low heat and add the onions and garlic. Saute for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are limp and there is almost no moisture remaining in the skillet. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, the wine, and thyme and continue to cook for another 10 minutes, until the onions are lightly browned. Remove from the heat.

Using a sharp paring knife, score a 1/4-inch-wide border around each pastry circle. Prick the pastry inside the score lines with the tines of a fork and sprinkle a tablespoon of grated Parmesan on each round, staying inside the scored border.

Place 1/4 of the onion mixture on each circle, again staying within the scored edge. Crumble 1 ounce of goat cheese on top of the onions. Place a slice of tomato in the center of each tart. Brush the tomato lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with basil, salt, and pepper. Finally, scatter 4 or 5 shards of Parmesan on each tart.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown. The bottom sheet pan may need an extra few minutes in the oven. Serve hot or warm.

Print Recipe HERE

15 comments:

Brooke Hall said...

yummm!!!! those look delish!! going to print that one ;-)

lizziefitz said...

I will be making this asap, thanks for sharing!

Holy City Chic | Megan said...

Wow, these look and sound amazing! I'm not the best cook, but I'm going to try these asap!

Jenny Castle Design said...

They look delish! Ina Garten is the best!

Chassity (Look Linger Love) said...

You are a chef extraordinaire. Go girl.

The Southland Life said...

Oh my gosh, I have to try this!

Balancing Lisa said...

These look stupid good!!! I am making these for sure!!!!

http://stilettosanddiaperbags.blogspot.com/

Jill said...

you have been posting some awesome recipes lately!!
Thanks, something to do while I am stuck at home in the snow:)

Cool Gal said...

That looks so delicious. Fairly easy, too. I am going to put this on my list for next week's dinner menu. Yum.

I am a loyal follower of Jill's. I notice you comment on her blog a lot (Isn't she great?).

Happy to be your newest follower.

Have a great day!

Hamptontoes said...

Natalie,
Check out my post today! E-mail me your informaiton.

GiGi said...

UMMMMM...you must give me your home address so that I can send you our new BFF charm necklaces (don't worry erin, we'll get the ones that have 3 pieces).
I made these saturday night when my friend was in town!!

great minds think alike girlfriend!

Alicia xoxxo said...

These look ridiculously good!! You are making me so hungry right now!! I will def give these a try!

Gillian said...

I admire your culinary skills! You make me WANT to cook, but I am just NOT a good one! My husband and I own a restaurant, so I'm able to cheat a little, but what I was going to say... I love the combination of goat cheese and tomatoes. To take it one step further, I love goat cheese, pesto, and tomatoes! YUM! Maybe one day though, I'll try one of your recipes!

Natalie said...

This looks amazing! I've been in a rut as far as cooking dinners go, this will be perfect!

natasha {schue love} said...

Just found your blog and I love it!! I've made this goat cheese tart before and it was a HUGE hit! You've just inspired me to make it again! :)