Thursday, July 19, 2012

Pinterest DIY + Savor the Little Moments

I will admit it I am so not a DIY type of person.  I just get too lazy- I mean I am way too busy watching the OC Housewives Reunions 1 and 2 and that leaves me little time to DIY.  Most of the time it is easier just to buy something the way I want it than take the time and effort to re-do it.   However, when I saw this pin on Pinterest I knew it was a DIY I could tackle. 

PAINTED CANS

I immediately thought this was a great idea to paint cans and store all of Sterling's art supplies in.  Keeping things real, this was the state of his art basket before I started the project. A hot unorganized mess.

While I loved the pastel colors above I figured Sterling needed some more boyish colors.  I debated a long time (way too long) about what colors to use and eventually decided on blue, green, and orange.   For this project all I did was clean the empty cans well, wrap tape where I wanted the paint to end and paint.  I used acrylic paint that I already had.  This was super duper easy.  Don't look too close though I got eager and pulled the tape off too soon,  so some of the paint is uneven!

And while I was in a DIY mood I decided to spray paint his basket metallic silver. Made such a difference!  Here is the finished and organzied basket.  An easy DIY tackled at nap time!

_________________________________________________________________________

Speaking of my sweet baby he has gotten a bad habit where he won't go to sleep at night til I rock him. 

 I put him in bed and leave and he seems fine then 10 minutes later I hear him say "Mama rock you." He says this til I come in and rock him.   This happened Monday night right as The Bachelorette was starting.  I sighed and went in to rock him thinking I will make this super quick, I want to get back to my wine and show.  But as I was sitting there rocking him and he was being so sweet,  the words to the Trace Adkins Country song "You're Gonna Miss This" popped in my head.  It is a such a great song about a girl rushing through life wanting each stage to hurry up so she can get to the next one.  It talks about the importance of savoring the little moments.  The chorus is:

You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this

I thought about that song as a rocked him for a really long time, realizing that soon he will be old and not want me to rock him anymore much less hang out with him in public.  It is such a great reminder to savor life's little moments.  Because I know in the blink of an eye he will be grown.  You can read all the lyrics here.  That was my deep thought for the day:)

31 comments:

Courtney said...

Aw, that's sweet, and so true. They grow unbelievably fast!

Julia Ryan said...

I'm blaming hormones, but I seriously can't get through even one verse of that song without crying. It's so true!

Liz said...

I'm with Julia. Even when I read the lyrics I felt a knot in my throat. I feel your pain, especially knowing that little boys tend to be so uncommunicative (is that a word?) when they grow older. Boo! Rock that babe till the morning Friend! Just bring your wine in there and record your show :) xo

(Eileen) a creative day said...

Such a sweet moment, and so true! And his little art basket looks so cute!

Brooke Hall said...

i love you forever, i like you for always, as long as i live my baby you'll be. that mama rocks her baby boy until she is old and he has to rock her....i cry every time lawton wants me to read it to him! you are right to cherish these moments....they won't last long but make them! hey, he doesn't co-sleep, so you are all good!! xo

Sadie + Stella said...

Well at less your patheticness doesn't extend to watching the episodes 3 and 4 times. Wow. This is what I consider good tv. Love the DIY.

Southern Living: Preppy Style said...

Great job on the cans! I totally miss rocking and whenever Lallie is sick or having a rough night and she lets me rock her, I don't want to let go. Those moments become more and more rare as you know, so I just cherish even more. Thank goodness she's still tiny for a four (almost five in one week) year old!

Jill said...

so true what you said, I sometimes have to stop myself too for wishing the time away

Keely said...

That made me tear up... So true, I try and slow down and "be in the moment" a lot. Thanks for the reminder, I wish I could just slow down time for awhile...1-2 yrs. old has just been so fun with my little Audrey. Your lil man is just adorable and lucky to have you as buddy and great mommy. Cute ideas today!

pretty little things said...

the painted cans look great! I'm a teacher and I could totally use those in my classroom! xo

http://allthingsprettyandlittle.blogspot.com/

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

I used to sing that same song to myself as I rocked my babies who are now 3 and 4 1/2!! Yes enjoy those moments they are gone too quickly.

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

Another good one is "It won't stay like this for long" by Darius Rucker. Do you know it?

Kathryn {love, raleigh} said...

I agree with @Julia (Pawleys), that song does me in. I have not been blessed with children yet but just thinking of the high school years part of it and moving on up in the world makes me extremely nostalgic.

Catherine said...

Such a beautiful reminder to savor the little moments in life! Thank you. Your little guy is adorable!

Virginia said...

Sterling is such a handsome little guy, but you are right, he won't be little forever. :-) I love your project, especially the metallic basket!

Stephanie said...

I lose it every time I hear that song! That and Darius Rucker's "It Won't Be Like This for Long".

Portuguese Prepster said...

that is so sweet how he loves to be rocked by you!! Love the art basket idea too.

Colleen Sullivan said...

Oh Geez now I'm crying! They're just little loves.

Chassity (Look Linger Love) said...

first off, 4:30 am posting?? So just wondering when Sterling woke you up that early were you still just enjoying the moment? Bahahaha. CUTE cans.

Heather @ my peanut butter cups said...

So sweet! And it does go by way too fast. (Sigh.) Love the cans and I'm with you on the DIY. My hubs is the same way too...would much rather play a round of golf and hire a handyman -- we're a match made in heaven. :)

Lala said...

I hear that song in my head every time I try to rush or get frustrated with my kids. It definitely makes you take a moment to stop and think about what you have. Then sob uncontrollably bc you start thinking about it too much!

Balancing Lisa said...

cute DIY! love it!

http://www.stilettosanddiaperbags.com/

Francis said...

Cute cans. ;) rocking is the story of my life right now. Layla is 14 months and I still have to rock her before every nap and bedtime.

Katie said...

Great deep thought Natalie! My little guy turned 2 today and I think about how often time goes by and it makes me sad. They will always be our little boys no matter how old they get. So sweet, thanks for sharing!

Great DIY project too! :)

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

I think about that song a lot, it's a much needed reminder to enjoy it while it lasts (c: They are so sweet and uncomplicated when they're small...I can say with certainty that there will come a day that I will wish that I took more advantage of it (c: Sweet thought for the day..

Kyle said...

Quite true! I am going through a similar phase with my girl. How ironic that our 14 week old sleeps through the night, but she is wide awake at 2 and 3 am. I know I need to savour these moments where she wants to cuddle even if it is in the wee hours of the morning. Love your completed DIY!!

Alicia xoxxo said...

Awww....that made me cry. I am going to have to download that song now! Great reminder!!!
Esp now as my little babe takes his cereal bar and crumbles it up all over the floor! ;)

Gaby [The Vault Files] said...

You're so right about that!

Jen of MadeByGirl said...

oh my gosh, what a clever idea for the canisters. I could see doing some of those in hot pink! :)

Madebygirl.blogspot.com
MadeByGirl.com

Val said...

What a great post...loving everything in it. I hope you have a wonderful weekend with your family.

The Daily Stroll said...

Had to go to listen to this song...it gave me chills! I feel your pain. The songs that get me are Darius Rucker's "It Won't be Like this for Long" Ben Fold's "Still Fighting It and the Dixie Chick's "Godspeed". I can barely get through these songs without crying because they make you realize how fast it really does go by!