Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Southwestern Pasta Salad


This is recipe I remember making several years ago back when I lived at home. My mom and sister and I used to love it. We finally busted out the recipe again last time I was home and it was just as good as I remembered.  Next time I make it I think I may add in some fresh or pickled jalapenos to give it an extra kick and some heat.  I find it is best served slightly warmed or at room temperature.  This would make an excellent dinner if you added grilled chicken or shrimp over the top.  I think what I like most about this pasta is it has a creamy dressing instead of a vinaigrette, its so good.
Enjoy!

:: S O U T H W E S T E R N   P A S T A   S A L A D ::

DRESSING
4 oz reduced fat cream cheese
4 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons milk
1 table spoon olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

SALAD
2 cups bow-tie pasta or 1 12 oz box
1 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
1 can white corn
1 4 oz can chopped green chiles
1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
2-3 green onions chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
Fresh shredded Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Combine cream cheese, lemon juice, milk, olive oil, lemon zest, cumin, salt and garlic powder in a microwave bowl.   Heat on high in microwave 1 minute or until cream cheese is soft.  Stir to blend ingredients, add water if it needs to be thinned.  Add in Parmesan cheese and set aside.

Cook pasta and drain.  Add dressing and toss.  Add in black beans, corn, green chiles, green onion, tomato, cilantro and toss.  Grate in fresh Parmesan and mix all together.


17 comments:

Unknown said...

this looks amazing Natalie!

Amanda | Kids and Cabernet said...

This looks SO good! Perfect side dish or main meal!! Yum! Thanks for the recipe!

Julia Ryan said...

This looks amazing!

Chassity (Look Linger Love) said...

I'd eat that.

Unknown said...

I have tried several of your recipes and haved loved them all!!!! Keep them coming!

Anonymous said...

YUM!

Ami Wood said...

Yummy!! I am so excited to find all of y'all charleston bloggers!! So super cool!

Sabrina May said...

Did you serve it warm just after you tossed it, or did you chill it prior to serving?

Sabrina May said...

Did you serve it warm just after you tossed it, or did you chill it prior to serving?

Anonymous said...

Whoa! This looks delish. xo

Anonymous said...

I am def trying this! Looks yummo!

(Eileen) a creative day said...

YUM. You always have the best recipes by far!

RealHouseWifeOfNOVA said...

mmm, made your cole slaw last week and it was a HUGE hit with me and the fiancé! Thanks for the recipe!
xoxo
Lauren

Taylor said...

yes, please. the dressing has cream cheese? sign me up

Emily {Luscious Life & Decor} said...

I ended up making this last night since I already had all the ingredients. It was so yummy! I used whole wheat spaghetti. Next time I will definitely try with chicken or shrimp. Thank you for a new, great recipe!

Val said...

I'm making this tomorrow. SO MY GOODNESS.

Alexa said...

Ah it looks so good Natalie..you always have the best recipes!