Thursday, September 6, 2012

Tomato, Corn, and Fresh Mozzarella Tart


I made this tart for dinner last week and it was so easy and delicious.  And let me first point out that the dark spots on the pie are basil.  Matt informed they looked weird in the photo (one day I will get a nice camera for blog purposes).   I recommend slicing your tomatoes and letting them sit on a paper towel for about 30 minutes before you layer the tart.  This will keep the pie from getting too watery and soggy.  You can use any cheese your heart desires but I used Gruyere and Fresh Mozzarella because I had it on hand.  I do highly recommend the fresh Mozzarella in this, it was great.  With all the fresh tomatoes and corn in season right now, this is a must make dinner!  I served ours with an Arugula Salad and wine:)  This would also be a great meal to bring a friend who had a baby or moved etc because it reheats well and its pretty:)
Bon Appetit!


TOMATO, CORN, AND MOZZARELLA TART (adapted from Proud Italian Cook)
- 1 Store bought refrigerated pie dough
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 2 Ears of Corn Shucked
- 1-2 Tomatoes Sliced
- Fresh Basil
- Dried Oregano
- Fresh Mozzarella and Gruyere

Take your store bought refrigerated pie dough, place it in a pie pan, brushed it with olive oil and sprinkle with black pepper, then prick the dough all around with a fork.

Sautee Onion in Olive Oil until it gets caramelized (about 10 minutes)

Layer the bottom of the pie shell with shredded Gruyere.

On top of the cheese scatter caramelized onions and fresh basil. Place fresh corn from the cob over that and add a quick drizzle of olive oil and more cheese (I used fresh sliced Mozzarella for this layer)

Arrange sliced tomatoes on top adding salt, pepper, dried oregano, fresh basil and another quick drizzle of olive oil. Bake in a 375 oven until crust is a nice deep brown. Let it cool down before you cut into it.

11 comments:

Sadie + Stella said...

Holy. Sweet. Mother. Of. Mercy. This looks phenomenal. Can I have? Can I have? I don't think this is on my strict diet. Sigh.

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

This is like a better version of the tomato pie you turned me on to a year ago! I can't wait to make this.

What would you make if you had a couple women coming over to watch football (I know how strange that sounds). I would love your ideas. You always have the best recipes!

Julia Ryan said...

Those are all my favorite ingredients. Will be making this so soon!

KatiePerk said...

Delicious!! It is so pretty too!!

Balancing Lisa said...

This looks stupid good! Saving this recipe for sure! thanks for sharing

Ashley said...

Wow! that looks delish!

Chassity (Look Linger Love) said...

looks deeelish :)

Unknown said...

That looks delicious. I am a huge bail fan {even if it looks dark ;) } Have you always loved cooking.

Georgine said...

What a great recipe- fresh, seasonal, colorful, and deliciously cheesy!!! I will definitely make this soon :) How many minutes do you think you baked it? XOXO

High Cotton Style said...

YUM! I will be making one night this week! Send me your delish dishes and I will photograph them for you...and then taste test!!

erica said...

wow! This looks AMAZING! I am going to have to make it this weekend! Thanks for sharing. xo