Wednesday, February 5, 2014

GP's Chicken Lettuce Wraps


We have still been eating pretty healthy in the Mason Household.  I have been making my way thru Gwyneth's Cookbook, It's All Good trying out lots of new recipes.  This one may just be my new favorite.  We loved these and they are so healthy and good for you!  Even Sterling ate one, although I had to roll his in a flour taco shell instead of lettuce.  He freaks about lettuce, kids and their veggies.

 The recipe calls for homemade Lee's Hoisin and Lee's Sriracha sauce.  I had good intentions to make the homemade Hoisin sauce but could not find the red miso paste,  so I used store bought Hoisin,  and you know what it worked out just fine.  So if you want to save time and money just buy a jar of the premade kind (I included the link at the bottom if you want to make GP's version).  I did not use lotus root either- I am honestly not even sure what it is.  Next time Matt and I both agreed we would add diced water chestnuts for some crunch.  This dish can be made ahead and then just reheated and assembled at dinner time.
Enjoy!


|| G P ' S    C H I C K E N  L E T T U C E  W R A P S ||

Serves 4Neutral oil (like canola, grapeseed, or safflower oil)
1 lb. ground chicken (preferably dark meat), at room temperature
Coarse sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 yellow onion, peeled and finely diced
4 garlic cloves, finely minced
2 tbsp. finely minced fresh ginger
2 small carrots or 1 large carrot, peeled and finely diced (about ½ c.)
½ c. finely diced lotus root (optional)
Lee’s Hoisin Sauce, divided
1 head of bibb or iceberg lettuce, leaves separated
A handful of cilantro leaves
A few scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
Lee’s Sriracha, for serving


Heat a few tablespoonfuls of oil in a large, heavy skillet set over medium-high heat and add chicken, along with a pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Cook, stirring to break the chicken up, until browned, about 10 to15 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat few more spoonfuls of oil in a separate skillet over medium-high heat and add onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Add carrot, lotus root, and a pinch of salt. Cook until the carrot just begins to soften, about 10 minutes. 
Combine chicken and vegetables in 1 pan and add ½ c. of Lee’s Hoisin Sauce along with ½ cup of water; cook for a final minute or 2 to just bring everything together. Place spoonfuls of the mixture on the lettuce leaves until you’ve used it all up. (This recipe makes about a dozen wraps, but it depends how big your lettuce leaves are.)

Thin the remainder of the Lee’s Hoisin Sauce with ½ cup of water and drizzle a bit on top of each lettuce cup. Scatter the cilantro and scallions over the lettuce cups and serve with Lee’s Sriracha if anyone wants a little kick.

click here for recipe for Lee's Hoisin Sauce





15 comments:

Amanda Elizabeth - Meet @ the Barre said...

I love making lettuce wraps! My favorite asian grocery store has an entire aisle of sauces. I go overboard every time I go and literally buy 10 different spicy sauces!

Amanda
Meet @ the Barre

caycee said...

I will be making these for sure!! I love anything wrapped in lettuce, and it means no carbs ;)

caycee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

My daughter loves lettuce wraps. I'm going to have to try these because they look so easy and healthy! Thanks for sharing. xo

Madeline {elle + j} said...

I love lettuce wraps! Can't wait to try this recipe!

Ally Harding said...

I have GP's cookbook too and whenever I look through it to make something they all seem way too complicated. You seem to have pretty good success with it so maybe I need to give it another chance!

Alex {Things That Sparkle} said...

YUM these sound delicious

Delta Daisies said...

I will have to try these! Thanks for posting!

Paula Jean | PJM Interiors said...

Everything you've shared from this cookbook looks amazing! I'm sold! I think I need to buy the book!

Christina said...

Any recipe I can put sriracha on is a win in my book. Have you had the TJ's version? I'm curious to see what you think.

Val said...

nom nom nom - I love this recipe and have tried it twice. It's a good one.

Gracie Johnston said...

Loving your recipes! Really want to buy her cookbook. Love the new blog look too.

Unknown said...

Yeeeah--imma need to kiss this cleanse goodbye.

Unknown said...

Lettuce wraps are one of my absolute favorites...second to fish tacos of course!! I'm dying to make these!

Julia May said...

We have been making these for YEARS. We started adding in chopped shiitake mushrooms to bulk them up a bit and we usually end up going half dark/half white with the ground chicken bc all dark can make them a bit oily. Seriously though, this is one of my fave GP recipes. We usually make the grilled asparagus/mushroom dish from the same cookbook as the side.