Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Polenta Veggie Bowls



I am switching things up a bit this week, you get a recipe today and Obsessions tomorrow!
For a meatless dish this was so good.  It is kind of like Shrimp and Grits but minus the Shrimp.  If you wanted meat you could totally add some Shrimps and it would be fantastic.  I prepped all the veggies at nap time and then just reheated them in the same skillet again before dinner.  Grits/Polenta do not reheat well so make this right before you are ready to eat!  I used bagged grits from Earthfare that said White Grits/Polenta so not sure which they actually were but you could use grits or polenta for this recipe.  We drizzled ours with sriracha sauce right before eating. The leftover veggies are great to add in scrambled eggs!
Enjoy!



|| P O L E N T A  V E G G I E   B O W L S ||
1 cob of corn, shucked
1 cup of cherry tomatoes + drizzle of olive oil
1 cup of cream
2 cups of water
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup of grits
1/2 cup white cheddar, shredded
hot sauce to taste
1 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, chopped
1/2 cup broth
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 bunch of kale, chopped thinly
1 bunch rainbow swiss chard
1 package sliced mushrooms
parmesan cheese
1 serrano chili pepper, thinly sliced



Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Place the cherry tomatoes onto a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.  Wrap corn in foil and place on same sheet.  Bake until they turn golden brown and begin to burst. Remove from the oven and set to the side.

Bring 1 cup of heavy cream, 2 cups of water, and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan on med-high heat. Once boiling, slowly add the grits while stirring with a whisk to prevent lumps. Reduce the heat to med-low and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the stove and stir in the white cheddar and hot sauce. Cover and set to the side.

As soon as you place the water and cream on the stove for the grits, add the olive oil, garlic clove, broth, and kale,  swiss chard, and mushrooms to a large frying pan on med-high heat. Sautée until the greens are wilted.  Add in red pepper flakes- you can use more or less depending how spicy you like it.

You may need to whisk in a bit of cream or water to the grits to thin them out, depending on your preferences. Plate the grits, then a generous serving of kale/chard/mushroom mixture, followed by the corn, and roasted tomatoes. Drizzle the liquid from the sautéed kale on top, and garnish with parmesan cheese, and thinly sliced peppers. 





18 comments:

Annie {flourishinfertility.com} said...

This looks amazing. I've just cut gluten from my diet, so polenta is the perfect dish. Will be making this ASAP. Have fun in Charlotte! I was just there this weekend and it makes me miss it every time I go back. xo

caycee said...

Yum yum yum!!!

Kristen [Playground Prepster] said...

Yum!! I know frozen corn isn't the same but think it would work? I love all the veggie recipes as we are a vegetarian house!

Cassie {Home and Sass} said...

Oh I love grits and polenta. Definitely going to have to try this one!! Looks awesome!

fep516 said...

I always have The Chew on while I eat lunch at my desk and Mario Batali mentioned recently that grits and polenta are the same thing! Just that restaurants call it grits for breakfast items, then polenta for dinner and charge twice as much :)

Unknown said...

Will be making this during the snowstorm tomorrow! Looks incredible!

My Life as A Plate said...

My Husband and I have been on a huge polenta kick recently so this sounds perfect especially with the roasted veggies.

Delta Daisies said...

OMG! Making these tomorrow night!! Thank you for sharing!

Amanda Elizabeth - Meet @ the Barre said...

That looks so so good! I think I could totally get Mark to eat that one!

~Amanda
Meet @ the Barre

natasha {schue love} said...

I SOOO want to make this asap! Looks amazing!

High Cotton Style said...

This looks delish! I used to tihnk that grits didn't reheat well. There is a place in Florence that has great grits...I swear they reheat them with cream and milk!

Megan said...

Never would I think to try this, thanks for sharing because it looks divine!!! XO

Megan
Hello Newlywed Life Blog

Anonymous said...

Yum!! This looks absolutely amazing - I'm definitely going to have to make this soon!

Sarah @ The Not Quite Military Wife said...

I've never tried cooking Polenta before but this sounds delicious!

Unknown said...

Amazing! I need to cook this soon!

Unknown said...

I feel like I say this every week but seriously every recipe you post looks so delicious!!!

Eloquently Emily said...

so excited to finally see this recipe, I have been thinking about it ever since you posted it on instagram! Looks so yummy!

Eloquently Emily said...

so excited to finally see this recipe, I have been thinking about it ever since you posted it on instagram! Looks so yummy!