Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Sausage, Chard, and Lemon Lasagna

For some reason I randomly get a subscription to Martha Stewart Living. I don't love this magazine but I do love the recipes in it. This magazine is filled with tons of crafts and DIY projects. I don't mind an occasional DIY but I kind of hate crafts. I don't have the patience to make paper machie Easter Eggs or a bouquet of flowers from paper. But that's just me! No offense to those of you who love to craft, I wish for Sterling's sake I enjoyed it! The recipes in this magazine never disappoint though.

This recipe comes from the March 2011 Issue and the lasagna is truly amazing! I made it last week while my mother-in-law was visiting and we all loved it. I mean honestly I can't say enough good things about this recipe. It was very easy to prepare, as far as lasagnas go. I also love that it is filled to the brim with swiss chard one of the leafiest, healthiest greens for you! I highly suggest you try this recipe out!



Swiss Chard if you have never seen it before, because Matt thought Swiss Chard was a type of cheese:)



The Parmesan Cheese and Swiss Chard Sauce



Boiled Lemons



Cooked Sausage, I used Hot Italian Sausage because we like it spicy in the Mason House.



Assembled and Ready to bake!



Pure Deliciousness!


Sausage, Chard and Lemon Lasagna


Ingredients
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups whole milk
1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (about 4 ounces)
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
5 cups coarsely chopped Swiss chard (about 1 bunch)
1 pound sweet italian sausage, casings removed
1 lemon, very thinly sliced
6 no-boil lasagna noodles, preferably Barilla

Directions

1.Melt butter in a saucepan over high heat. Stir in flour; cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat. Simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Whisk in 3/4 cup cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir in chard.

2.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook sausage in a skillet over high heat, breaking up pieces, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes.

3.Cover lemon slices with cold water by 3 inches in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 7 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate using a slotted spoon.

4.Spread 1/4 cup sauce in an 8-inch square nonreactive baking dish. Top with 2 noodles, half the sausage, and 1 cup sauce. Repeat. Top with a layer of lemons, 2 noodles, then remaining sauce and lemons. Bake, covered with parchment-lined foil, for 27 minutes.

5.Remove from oven. Heat broiler. Uncover lasagna; top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Broil until bubbling, 2 to 3 minutes.

Print Recipe HERE

19 comments:

Jenny Castle Design said...

That looks and sounds delicious!! Bravo!

Liz said...

Yum! I love your recipes Natalie. I made your tex mex wontons this weekend and everyone raved about them! I thought I made too many (36) and when I went to get myself another one, they were gone!!

Unknown said...

I had no idea what swiss chard was...I thought it was a cheese too. This looks different, interesting, and easy, I might make it for the inlaws this weekend. Thanks.

Jill said...

That looks so delish!!

I love what you said about Martha, totally agree, who has time to make their own eggs or grow real grass for an Easter basket, I am way too busy shopping:)

Katharine @ SouthernBourbonMountains said...

Yum! Thank you for having Caycee get post!! I'm buying a dress from her!

Bud and Leo said...

This looks so delicious! Thanks for the inspiration! And I agree, crafts are cute but I have no patience ;)

megan said...

Um, looks delicious! Bookmarking now.

Alicia xoxxo said...

This looks amazing! I want to come to your house for dinner!
And I totally agree with you on the crafts! It is not my thing either!

Lauren Caldwell said...

this looks AMAZING! must try it!

xo! Lauren @ tickled.

KatiePerk said...

Ooh this looks delicious.

Alexandra Bee Blog said...

oooh, i think i would like this! sausage, swiss chard, and cheese..yes please!

katie stevenson said...

yummy!! what a great twist on an Italian classic! miss y'all!

Julie said...

Love this take on lasagna. Definitely a spring version of the comfort food classic! Must be the weather because I posted a comfort food recipe today too.

blue chickadee said...

This looks delicious!!! I'll have to give this a try! I too get Martha Stewart Living...I think one of my mags discontinued so they slipped in MSL instead-oh well, so good recipes if nothing else!!!!!

Taylor said...

This looks so delicious!!! I have never heard of boiling lemons before... sounds interesting! Can't go wrong with sausage and melted cheese!

natasha {schue love} said...

WOW! This looks amazing!!! Such a great take on lasagna and perfect for this time of year!

Julia Ryan said...

Wow! Your recipes are always so tasty and creative! Can't wait to try this one next.

Kyle said...

Another great recipe! It was a hit with my husband and daughter.

Susan said...

Making this tonight and it looks delicious!