Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Stuffed Japapenos + Halloween Cocktail

I mentioned Monday that I made the Pioneer Woman's Stuffed Jalapenos last weekend. They were a huge hit. Every last one was scarfed down. I recommend using center cut bacon since it is thinner and will crisp up better while cooking. Instead of plain cream cheese, I used onion and chive cream cheese and mixed in Monterrey Jack to give the peppers extra flavor. If you like a little heat leave a few seeds in the jalapenos. But be sure to wash your hands after cutting the peppers, I can't tell you how many times I have rubbed an eye or my nose while doing this and it burns forever! I found no need for toothpicks to hold these together. I just made sure the bacon seam was down on the rack when cooking. These would be perfect for a Holiday party. They serve well at room temperature as well as hot.





Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Jalapenos
Ingredients
■20 whole Fresh Jalapenos, 2-3 Inches In Size
■2 cubes Cream Cheese, softened (I used 1 tub Onion and Chive Cream Cheese plus about 1 cup of Monterrey Jack Cheese).
■1 pound Thin(regular) Bacon, Sliced Into Thirds

Instructions
If you have them, slip on some latex gloves for the pepper prep... Cut jalapenos in half, length-wise. With a spoon, remove the seeds and white membrane (the source of the heat; leave a little if you like things HOT). Smear softened cream cheese into each jalapeno half. Wrap jalapeno with bacon pieces (1/3 slice). Secure by sticking toothpick through the middle.

Bake on a pan with a rack in a 375-degree oven for 20-25 minutes. You don’t want the bacon to shrink so much it starts to the squeeze the jalapeno. If, after 20 minutes, the bacon doesn’t look brown enough, just turn on the broiler for a couple of minutes to finish it off. These are best when the jalapeno still has a bit of bite to it.



Now on to the drinks. My brother in law found this recipe and they were so good. I am a very picky mixed drink person. My standard drink is vodka with fresh squeezed lemon and maybe a splash of water. I'm hard core when it come to liquor. Just kidding, but I do hate when drinks are too sugary or sweet and this was not at all. The lime juice and ginger ale paired perfect with the rum. Oh and the soaked gummies at the end of your drink are the best part. You might just want to soak a whole batch of these! We couldn't find black sugar, which the recipe calls for except for at Williams Sonoma and I assure you we weren't going to pay $15 for a bottle of black sugar when any other color would work just fine. We used red instead. We thought these would be adorable at Christmas with Christmas Tree Gummies and glasses rimmed in red and green sugar. Enjoy! You won't be able to drink just one of these!

Halloween Spooktacular Cocktail
-Rum
-Ginger Ale
-Limes
-Colored sugar
-Gummy Spiders

For our cocktails we did about 2 shots of Rum per drink, one lime squeezed per drink and a splash of ginger ale. Mix all in a shaker. Wet glasses with the limes and dip into colored sugar. Place 2-3 gummy spiders at the bottom. Pour mixture over top.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

These Jalepenos are right up my alley. I can not wait to make them. I made some jap poppers with cream cheese and bacon too that turned out really good. And they are so easy to make. Check out my blog to see them. They are one of our fav snacks.

erica said...

How good do those jalapenos look! The drinks are way too cute. I will definitely be giving these recipes a try!

xo

Unknown said...

You really post yummy food!

17 Perth said...

Those look delish! I love anything with jalenpenos! They look pretty simple to make--also right up my alley. ;)

Alex {Things That Sparkle} said...

YUM YUM YUM. I am hungry at 8am now

My Life as A Plate said...

Both the Jalepenos and the drinks sounds amazing. Perfect for fall! I love the gummy idea!!

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

That drink sounds good. Can you give me that rum punch drink that you said your husband always makes when you're on vacation? I'm having a Halloween Party and need a good punch recipe!! Please? :-)

natasha {schue love} said...

These definitely look amazing...they really are the perfect appetizer this fall/winter. My husband will go gaga over them!

Chassity (Look Linger Love) said...

Ur going to make me want to make these things tonight. We're addicted to them. Like your twist on the recipe.

Bud and Leo said...

YUM! And I agree- hate sugary drinks so I always drink a plain martini- thanks for these! xo Lisa

Val said...

Get in my belly!!! Stuffed Jalapenos and a great cocktail sounds amazing to me right now!!! =)

caycee said...

cant wait to try these babies this weekend ;)

Jill said...

This is perfect, I am having some girls over next Sunday night and I already know what I am having for apps!!

California Wife said...

My husband makes similar stuffed jalapenos and they're always a big hit! I love the idea of using flavored cream cheese and adding some Monterrey Jack though, we'll have to try that next time.

Tamra {ever swoon} said...

OMG speak to my heart, which is my stomach!! That looks amazing!! Totally trying this!!

Ivana said...

This looks so yummy! I´d love to try this recipe on!

xx Ivana
Style in the City